Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry WIZARDS & WARRIORS solo !

krisman87

Literate
Hi Guys !

I became a fan of playing games in solo , so far I've done it with M&M 6-9, Wizardry 8 and BG 2.

I would like to try with Wizards and warriors.

Has any of you tried this ? I would be extremely thankful for some tips/ advices/ info about what were the feelings of playing like this.

:)

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Interesting, so you pick a game with interesting and complex mechanism, because of the interactions and strategies inherent to the combination of multiple characters and turn them into some sort of Morrowind mess ?

Here's my advice, you should play a mage with max strength and wisdom, then you should try Might & Magic 1-4 with a Knight (Low STR max INT of course)

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Hi Guys !

I became a fan of playing games in solo , so far I've done it with M&M 6-9, Wizardry 8 and BG 2.

Has any of you tried this ? I would be extremely thankful for some tips/ advices/ info about what were the feelings of playing like this.

I have never tried to play a game with full party generation solo, but my advice would be to start as a fighter for early survivability. Join all three guilds with all earned money, pick a class to upgrade to that opens rogue skills, then switch to a class to work on AoE magic like sun, then just cycle through classes to get traits and end with Assassin? But I have no actual idea the best way to go about this. I don't know if cloak of shadows and backstab work when you are solo. I didn't even consider healing magic in my advice. I don't know if leadership would help at all, so human would be a bad race? Maybe elf for quick learner? Going by how people do it in other games you'll want to be a pixie ninja?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
What woud I pick if going solo?
Warrior, I guess?
Second class - either Monk or Ninja.
Pick Monk for some healing and nice combat abilities. Ninja picks Moon school for teleportation, open locks.

For elite 3rd class Assassin is a no-brainer because you can get invitation somewhere in the middle of the game while other two (Valkyrie and ZenMaster) are received near the end of the game (what's the point then).

I have hard time picking more crushy builds thanks to the SUDDEN respawns.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Hi Guys !

Find a windmill area with two spiders in the basement - killing them would be enough to level up your solo char. MULTICLASS. Do all elite roles quest, acquire all traits. Your ultimate goal is becoming zen master(best caster+warrior) - ultimate killing machine.

1. start as elf(quick learner)
2. do barbarian(fighter+thief) quest
3. paladin and monk quests - both are healers
4. have fun with amazon mantraps

Yes i almost beat the game but i became bored at the end - solo is too strong.

Your best friend:
http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/wizardswarriors/spoiler-index.shtml

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Pity that rest of the elite classes (Zen Mastah and Valk) are near the end of the game there is almost no time to test then in the field.
I was really tempted to test ZM, then peeked into the guide and instantly dropped that idea.
Three elite classess and two of them barely used, that was more annoying than any technical issues in the game or bugs.

krisman87

Literate
Thanks for quick answers :) a lot of valuable tips appeared, which will definitely be helpful , however some of you made me think about it once again.
Last thing i want is to develop a situation where my hero is so OP, that I am beginning to melt in boredom ( I've been there - M&M series, BG 2 )

Hmm, so what kind of play would be more challenging but still possible to run ?

I like to create lonely characters in rpg, which can only count on themselves.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
I don't know how you're going to survive amazonian mantraps solo. It's not terribly easy even with a party.

Its very doable just go to the Shurugeon Castle moat and blast it from the far. Sun domain spells help.

V_K

Arcane
I don't know how you're going to survive amazonian mantraps solo. It's not terribly easy even with a party.

Its very doable just go to the Shurugeon Castle moat and blast it from the far. Sun domain spells help.
That's a second-playthrough approach. On a blind first playthrough you have to be very lucky (or savescum a lot) not to run into the fuckers before you find the castle.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter

No multiclassing, only one elite class? Start as pixie mage(dodge) ascend to warlock later(ancient lore, teleportation, lifesteal, summons)

krisman87

Literate

No multiclassing, only one elite class? Start as pixie mage(dodge) ascend to warlock later(ancient lore, teleportation, lifesteal, summons)
I was thinking about something similar like starting with rogue switch to ranger and do some guerilla fight like in M&M hit and run :)
Anyway, I like the rule about only one elite class so I will test your idea Tito Anic.

Reinhardt solo playing only refers to games that I've played in the past - it's an attempt to treat nostalgic gaming in a different way.
I don't play in new games (with only 2 exceptions - elder scrolls and gothic series ), I play occasionally and that's why i like the process of sharing knowledge and experience with other players

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
I was thinking about something similar like starting with rogue switch to ranger and do some guerilla fight like in M&M hit and run :)
Anyway, I like the rule about only one elite class so I will test your idea Tito Anic.

Remember that you can always reset adventure(through menu) and keep your char with all xp and skills. How this works? Start your char, go to windmill kill spider, go to gipsys kill them all(leave Harespia alive), go to cementary kill skeleton priest - now you are lvl 5. Save game, reset adventure, rinse and repeat. Also you can always change difficulty(more XP) and mode(TB or RT) of the game. If you play non healer char - use potions, unindentified purple bottles. Have fun!

AlAska

Novice
I would argue this game was intended to be done solo, and solo you're playing it as originally intended. Ever think it's strange, to get quests each character individually has to talk to the person, all get the same letter, and all 6 have to deliver it to the same person, then to get your reward you have to again, one at a time, talk to the person 6 times about the same thing with a different character selected? That's not a game designed for a "party"... it's a game designed to be played solo and changed to allow a party afterward.

A solo character will be overpowered in the end, but I find it still fun figuring out how to develop and play solo. You need to be a wizard it's the only way to get stonecraft otherwise you will have a very, very hard time (the next opportunity to get it will be the last dungeon in the game where you can switch to valkyre or zenmaster). Pick an elf or Oomphaz, I have a hard time deciding which. The elf is a bit more versatile because they can wear more armors, have high parry, but I find they run out of mana and I need to depend on melee more. The Oomphaz gets special clothing and armors, can cast more spells before running out of magic, and who doesn't like playing as an elephant! I'm a person that likes to buff and cast so the Oomphaz was a better choice for me.

I play with Heuristics unofficial patch and Ludmeister's mod and I'm not sure if it's a feature of those but I noticed females get +1 parry on their starting stats (it may be height or weight) vs. males so I play female. The female elf I started had +4 parry naked, my Oomphaz +1 with same agility & dex. Intelligence I feel is very important, I like to start with 18. Then it's up to you how far/uber you want to solo. You could go Mage->Warlock->Ranger->Paladin->Assassin and will have all the magic schools. Since the game allows you to reset adventures, instead get all the magic schools, go barbarian and reset adventures. Now you'll be a level 1 barbarian, with all magic schools, and be able to go back to warlock for more training. Instead, do barbarian until you get stunning blow from warriors guild level 5, then switch to something else (like Paladin) until you get Crusade, switch to Samurai for Tiger Strike, etc. then reset adventures again and you can become a solo adventure with all spells and the best ability of most classes.

newtmonkey

Arcane
I think it was originally meant to be played multiplayer, with each player controlling a single character... but changed down the line to a single player game. That would explain the thing you mentioned about how weird quests are.

krisman87

Literate
now it make sense to have 18 intelligence

ludmeister's changelog
"characters will be granted quite a few more skill points per level. They will receive ((Int / 4) + (CurLevel / 2)) skill points, with a minimum of 1 every level"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom