Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Wizardry series should stay dead/get a sequel!

Ermm

Erudite
How exactly Japs have rights to do Wizardry series looking from copyrighting terms? Did Sir-Tech just allowed them to copy and use the name?

mondblut

Arcane
Captain Rufus said:
Forsaken Land's only real problem was no quicksave in dungeons (so once you entered you were gonna be there for a couple hours once you passed level 2 or so), no note taking on the automap, and really fuckall to buy in the shop.

Forsaken Land's only real problem is crashing in PS2 emulator, and only faggots play on consoles.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cleveland Mark Blakemore said:
DemonKing said:
Who needs a Wizardry sequel when Grimiore is coming...

... which will actually be the best Wizardry style game of all time. I concur.

Reading this article confirmed for me that I need to make the combats harder in Grimoire. Even on easy level. No grinds, every one a test.

By how much would that increase development time?

timong

Novice
Cleveland Mark Blakemore said:
Emotional Vampire said:
Good way to kill your project before it even starts: do it in world's most worthless programming language.

Ditto all.

Hi!
I will be there to check your attempt. You might have known me from your forum when it was still alive. Your failure to deliver at that time gave me the idea to start jClassicRPG project. I still hope to see your game if and when it's ready. You can count me in as a buyer. :)
All the best for you.

Emotional Vampire - you suck, like all vampires. :P

Ehh, EV is just the biggest gimmick poster on a forum that spends half its time trying to be a gimmick.

I'm not sure anyone should give a shit.

That being said.. JAVA?

It normally seems to run slow on everything. I like the idea of the game design though.

Nobody likes Java. It's true. Neither the dev, nor the end user.

So why use it?

Oh right. You don't know anything else. r00fles!

timong

Novice
I count as a dev. I like Java.

The engine used for jCRPG is basing on a fast C++ java binding library (lwjgl) and provides GLSL and fp/vp shader loading. If a scene is well built (few but enough batches with few states to handle) the most of the performance is related to the GPU and the driver.

To be clear, I'm not saying Java is the best choice. I know it's weaknesses.

If we are talking about slowness, I would be pleased if you try the latest release and report back what do you think about the performance. Please forgive the rough edges, it's pre-alpha.
Directly linkin' you to the download site:
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfil ... _id=197331

Wiki page about installation, requirements:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/j ... e=Download

I would be delighted if we continue bashing after that, coz, hey, it's opensource and free of charge so it's almost pointless to discuss it only theoretically.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom