Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry 8 - first time playing

xuerebx

Erudite
Final levels of party and which charather had most kills?

Faerie Wizard, Level 22, 406 kills
Felpurr Rogue, Level 23, 327 kills
Felpurr Samurai, Level 21, 313 kills
Hobbit Gadgeteer, Level 23, 152 kills
Mook Psionic, Level 21, 149 kills
Vi Valkyrie, Level 20, 139 kills
Gnome Bard, Level 22, 125 kills
RFS 81 Monk, Level 18, 92 kills (switched him mid-late game so he never got to the level of the rest of the team)

W8-final-party.jpg

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
IMG-20200622-174050.jpg

I've done it! For closure to anyone reading, I had to post this.

One of the very few games were I never got bored of playing it - I usually get bored at the end of a playthrough and rush through it.

Anyway, I'm a God now motherfuckers!
Ironman replay when?
:incline:
Anyway, now prepare for those recurring "I have an AWESOME party idea!" moments at the least opportune times.

EDIT: the saddest part was having your savegame exported, presumably for the sequel (as I understand was the norm for the Wizardry series). :(
:salute::negative:

Though maybe, with all the other recent
:necro:?

Imagine importing that old save and awakening as a party of ladies/gentlemen/furries who had their divinity stolen from them and embark on a quest to reclaim it - or do they?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Anyway, now prepare for those recurring "I have an AWESOME party idea!" moments at the least opportune times.

Not only this but if you start reading the postcount wizardry forum about mods, you'll find there's a couple of them, after a year, playing the modern dull cRPG, you'll feel compelled to play wizardry 8 again.

Well, maybe a bit more, there's some serious incline incoming, for a change.

DraQ

Arcane
Final levels of party and which charather had most kills?

Faerie Wizard, Level 22, 406 kills
Felpurr Rogue, Level 23, 327 kills
Felpurr Samurai, Level 21, 313 kills
Hobbit Gadgeteer, Level 23, 152 kills
Mook Psionic, Level 21, 149 kills
Vi Valkyrie, Level 20, 139 kills
Gnome Bard, Level 22, 125 kills
RFS 81 Monk, Level 18, 92 kills (switched him mid-late game so he never got to the level of the rest of the team)
Group portrait shot!

xuerebx

Erudite
Ironman replay when?

I'll definitely replay again, but don't think I'd play Ironman (never have). I'd either need to be really good at the game, or have enough time to kill. If I had to die close to the end of the game I'd surely hate the game forever (and hate myself) :shittydog:.

Imagine importing that old save and awakening as a party of ladies/gentlemen/furries who had their divinity stolen from them and embark on a quest to reclaim it - or do they?

:D That's a good way to think of a replay! Very meta in fact (what with happened to Phoonzang)...

Well, maybe a bit more, there's some serious incline incoming, for a change.

Which games? I've played the demo of The Fellowship Saga but it's got quite a long ways to go (developed by just one person).

Group portrait shot!

I've edited the previous post with the kill count (https://i.ibb.co/wQMwBfw/W8-final-party.jpg)

Yes, my Mook's name is....Mook.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Which games? I've played the demo of The Fellowship Saga but it's got quite a long ways to go (developed by just one person).

Blobber-wise, i'm not quite sure, although there is a M&M 6 like game incoming as well as the Fellowship saga (there's a thread somewhere here) but there's Knights of the Chalice 2 (10 days or so until release), Realms Beyond (EA this year, full release probably next year, playable in 2022 ?) and Colony Ship.

There's also a couple of game that could turn out good enough (PK 2, BG 3 and some coming from nothing).

xuerebx

Erudite

Blobber-wise, i'm not quite sure, although there is a M&M 6 like game incoming as well as the Fellowship saga (there's a thread somewhere here) but there's Knights of the Chalice 2 (10 days or so until release), Realms Beyond (EA this year, full release probably next year, playable in 2022 ?) and Colony Ship.

There's also a couple of game that could turn out good enough (PK 2, BG 3 and some coming from nothing).

I know about most of those, and have them on my steam wishlist in fact (except for KOTC2 - it just doesn't do it for me). Do you know the name of the M&M6 like game? I've just started M&M3 today...needs much getting used to after coming from W8.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I don't but the thread will resurface soon enough.

If you played and liked ToEE combat, buy KotC and back KotC 2, it's going to be the best cRPG of the last 19 years (2001 being the glorious year of Wizardry 8 release)

Snufkin

Augur
Faerie mage is considered a bad meme yet you it got most kills in your party :lol:

Also congrats for getting so far without Dracons.

xuerebx

Erudite
I don't but the thread will resurface soon enough.

If you played and liked ToEE combat, buy KotC and back KotC 2, it's going to be the best cRPG of the last 19 years (2001 being the glorious year of Wizardry 8 release)

Haven't played ToEE yet but I will someday. As for KotC it's the presentation which I don't really like. Maybe with the sprites in KOTC2 (I understand the target on KS has been reached) it'll be much better.

I mean I play all sorts of old games, but there's something about KotC which looks like a bad mobile game. In any case once my back log clears up I might give them a try.

Faerie mage is considered a bad meme yet you it got most kills in your party :lol:

She kicked ass early to mid-late game! Late game it was the melee party members who dealt most damage. I want to use a Dracon for the next game.

Snufkin

Augur
I recommend you to use two dracon fighters with polearms ( str + dex, 55 speed, rest vit) + dracon priest ( pump piety and inteligence for fastest realm development). It makes early game super easy even on hard mode.

Oh, and you really don't want to skip KoTC !!

Sarathiour

Cipher

Why is faerie mage a meme ? Stat look good enough for me, am i missing something ?

Was thinking about trying for some time, Sseth finally convince me to do so. So far so good, even if i feel like some "puzzle" (like the bridge in Trynton) are missing some kind of hint, or are juste not intuitive enough for my zoomer brain.

Snufkin

Augur

Why is faerie mage a meme ? Stat look good enough for me, am i missing something ?

Was thinking about trying for some time, Sseth finally convince me to do so. So far so good, even if i feel like some "puzzle" (like the bridge in Trynton) are missing some kind of hint, or are juste not intuitive enough for my zoomer brain.

People on various boards complained about their squishy faerie mage, also here on codex. Also innate mana regen on faeries is bad because they cant wear end game robes with higher mana regen.

jackofshadows

Magister
I don't get it. Faeries have neat natural AC bonus and more importantely - bonus to resistances. Imo it's a very good race choice for any caster.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I don't get it. Faeries have neat natural AC bonus and more importantely - bonus to resistances. Imo it's a very good race choice for any caster.

It is, the only reason not to pick a faerie mage or bishop in a 5+ members party is to make the game harder and if there is some end-game equipment they can't wear, it's because they don't need it.
The only real drawback is the reduced carrying capacity.

I mean I play all sorts of old games, but there's something about KotC which looks like a bad mobile game. In any case once my back log clears up I might give them a try.

If mobile games were as good as KotC, i'd never play a non-mobile cRPG ever again.
If you like Wizardry 8, you like good combat design so there's 95% chances you'll love KotC and KotC 2 is just deeper.

Reality

Learned
I think Fairie mage being a meme is more of a Wiz 6-7 thing than Wiz 8.

By the end, only two charathers are allowed to have full inventory because of all the undroppable key items + low HP matters a lot more due to Far higher number of magic using enemies.

I guess it's still a minor meme due to being a waste of potential (not an ninja) which is like the biggest selling point of Faiere even over their magic regen.

xuerebx

Erudite
I chose a Faerie as everyone told me to choose any party I deem cool since any combination works.

how long it took you to beat each Wiz ?

Not sure if you're asking me, but Wiz 8 was my first blobber.

so, how long it took you to beat wiz 8 ?

According to GOG, 60.5hrs plus another 40hrs since I started using GOG Galaxy half way through the game, over the span of 1 month. 100 hours of gaming in a month is a miracle for me - thanks to covid-19!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom