Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witcher

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I finished it. Considering they said in interview they have an easier job because they have these books, thus they need invent less, they suck.

The technical part:
UI was done differently, nice use of a screen, but there were small parts that would be done better when people would have experience. It looked like it was theirs first project. (I consider bad idea when game developers are trying to make a first project a commercial project.) Even Dungeon Siege 2 was able to make a seamless world, which basically shows theirs incompetence.

The original part was about uber mench, which is just silly. They basically missed all that part where witchers were poorly made as a hotfix, just to temporally solve the problem caused several hundred years ago.

The original story was about a madao, who similarly as the main character of Gintama lived in a situation where his profession was outdated. As everyone know nearly the whole live of the main character was a major screw up. He failed to protect girl he was responsible of...

What they actually made. The whole story of that game would suit a new witcher much better than using a memory loss excuse. It would feel even more natural.

They screwed up environment. Loading interior of building caused strong problems when they decided to do ambushes, and it caused an unexpected one way routes.

The first part of story was trigger like, which means who tried to satisfy all these three important people first, had quite hard combat with the hellhound.

They also did several mishaps. It looks like they forgot to read the original books and they had only abbreviations. In original books, he tried to fight with her (the striga) a little, then he decided she was doable, dropped in concentration... Then she acted as a courageous girl she was, then she went wild. It ended with him half conscious bitting her to stop her, he was unable to stop her otherwise, and he was too beaten up to even try to kill her. (Remember the princess has grown up.) The book was also fairly clear it was one time deal, if it returned she would stay that way.

The story in the city rose somewhat, but it was nothing extraordinary. In fact they tried to pretend the whole RPG had a lot of choices, but majority of them were exactly the same as choice at the end, choices without consequences.

Also the explanation why is he alive was absurd.

I have low expectation about second game, as parts they did themselves were bland and non juicily written.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Re: Witcher 2

Lesifoere said:
What the fuck?

If you're going to tell us you got some super-secret pre-pre-pre-alpha version of Witcher 2, you are... uh... describing the first game. So I'm not sure if you're being a bit retarded or what.

Mangoose said:
Probably copy pasta from somewhere else.

Raghar said:
I have low expectation about second game....

2hnltp5.gif

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Pretend the name of this thread was Witcher. I had a visit and had hard time to be able to type few sentences without distraction.

pipka

Savant
Raghar said:
WTF am I writing?! :confuse:
Exactly. They did all copy-paste routine with Geralt and made no sense as a result. Hence, canon rape ensued.
Geralt dies in the books. Open-to-interpretation-ending, but no return for him
And devs botched all Yennifer history and chose useless Merigold.
If only they stayed on the original idea of keeping new witcher-dude, it would have been just perfect as stand-alone game (not some fucking franchise-rape-inducing stupid series :butthurt:).

Angthoron

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
Forgive me if I find it hard to take seriously a narrative criticism that lacks a single comprehensible sentence.

Well said. :salute:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Witcher enchanced edition.

Technical details:

One of few stuffies we can find few complains about is the UI. It's a standard 4 corner like UI, with rather clean design. While there are some small irregularities, and the UI has been done in less traditional way, the UI is decent.

The rest of The witcher's coding is far from decent.
Just as the Drakensang was basically a large environment with data that has been fetched by one load from database, the Witcher is made from few large stuffies that require loading and are unrelated to each other. Nya. The thingie is all these building in that stuffie are completely independent from that stufie, thus they require load, thus they don't allow looking into window, or step backward when you end just in front of four assassins. Did I mention change between two scenes can sheath sword, and occasionally remove all potion effects?

Environmental effects might be better. While trees don't look like SpeedTree, clouds, haze, sun, and other fun stuffies are nothing to write about. Nya. Lets compare them to standard Bioware like bland textures and skyboxes. Which is surprising as central/eastern Europeans are known to visit forests more than occasionally.

RPG system:

The combat system was sufficiently detailed, but non combat system was nothing to write about.

Story:

Well Poland is known for a certain problems with interruptions. Basically it's nearly impossible for a Poland women obtain interruption. Poland's sexual hypocrisy was quite visible in TV series. So what is theirs dream? A man who was chemically castrated and immune to illnesses. Yes that's just perfect...
Also there is certain problem with alcohol in Poland. So what's in the witcher? Yes right there are drinking contests. The more and cheaper alcohol, the better.

Another funny thingie to know about Poland is theirs relationship with WWII. So what appeared in the witcher as a part of new writting? All these ubermenches called Big brothers... Nya.

Could they screwed it even more? Yes. They screwed it by the end choice that really didn't matter. To fight that king, or not... The result was the same.

So the story was about, a surprisingly appearing person with memory loss who is in situation when some mutagens are stolen, and one of witchers is killed. Nya.

There might be a reasonable explanation that would work. When the main character would be risen as an ravenant who is supposed to correct his mistakes, which basically means he would be correcting his mistakes forever, because he was madao and screwed a lot of things. (I'd wonder how would he'd give a birth to emperor's children.) A witcher who is now one of monster he was hesitant to slay, or perhaps not, he was hesitant to slay only certain monsters. Well that might work even with the original character. Nya.

The story then forced main character to try to find all these mutagens, it didn't matter these mutagens were unimportant as witchers were result of an imperfect too hasty research in the first place, and quite a lot of wizards could invent something better. Nya.

Because this would be a little, RPG need more text, they added still images and some philosophical stuffies. Obviously this will not be enough either, thus they added some philosophical analysis of the main character. NYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Mistakes:

The whole striga stuff. The book was quite serious about permanency when it returns.

Wild hunts. Basically these wild hunts were caused by these elves crossing boundaries, and possibly disturbing some spectres.

I wonder why they made the madao main character from book, a main character in the game. It would work much better with some young witcher that has been trained as an replacement. Technically Gerald screwed his part in the wife for emperor, and in several other situations, because of his inactivity.

Falca has already crossed to another world and I doubt she would risk her hide, and possibility to be raped yet again, and go look for him. In fact she would probably finish her studies of magic first. She was pragmatic enough to know dead bodies don't run that fast.

I missed all that vulgar style that was common for some characters in the witcher.

Conclusion:

Well the first game was a mess the same way as the first post, the enhanced edition is survivable, but nothing to brag about. Basically they made a game where they regurgitated some pseudo philosophical stuff about monster slaying, while the game didn't allowed much more than monster slaying.

(And yes they added a lot of characters from books because all these book readers would spend money... which doesn't look well for its sequel because: Burned once...)

Monocause

Arcane
Try again, using simple grammar and vocabulary this time since the more complex forms you are attempting to use are obviously beyond your grasp.

I don't get it, I thought this Turok guy hacks English to pieces yet he's completely understandable, much more so than you are. Stop using google translate and fill in the blanks in your language education properly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom