Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Witcher redefining CRPG Q&A at Firing Squad

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The innovative never-seen-before inventory sounds like a dumbed down version of Ultima 7's paperdoll.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Paperdoll is such an old concept, but still the best out there. They should make a more realistic paperdoll, so that there would be different layers, like leather armor underneath a breastplate.
Have you played Rage of Mages (Allods)? One of first russian hack'n'slash RPGs. It had a very good invetnory/paperdoll system (with very good item art, to boot).

Claw

Erudite
Patron
I vaguely recall it, not the inventory though. Yeah, paperdoll is old, and it's good. Most games I recall just use a paperdoll for equipped items though, not as inventory per se. It's a real shame that more games don't use a paperdoll inventory.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Well, with the spread of 3d graphics, the paperdoll usage for the sake of showing the equipment is nearly obsolete.
However, it's just quite convinient to "drees up" the character, rather than just assigning certain items from invetnory list.
For instance, it would have been a great addition to games where mainscreen graphcis are not very cool, especially if the character models are poor and not showing all equipment. It would have been a great addition to Baldur's Gate, for instance.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
mEtaLL1x said:
Paperdoll is such an old concept, but still the best out there. They should make a more realistic paperdoll, so that there would be different layers, like leather armor underneath a breastplate.
Have you played Rage of Mages (Allods)? One of first russian hack'n'slash RPGs. It had a very good invetnory/paperdoll system (with very good item art, to boot).

If you can find it anywhere, Siege of Avalon has that kind of inventory.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Is that game worth playing? I've seen it in a store here recently.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
I didn't know anyone knew Siege of Avalon, but it's a good example for a not-so-awesome use of the paperdoll. It's just for dressing up, like you said.

mEtaLL1x said:
Well, with the spread of 3d graphics, the paperdoll usage for the sake of showing the equipment is nearly obsolete.
I wouldn't use it for the sake of showing equpiment either. The way it's used in Ultima 7 makes it a reasonable inventory interface.

Snuffles

Novice
I wonder if you can pick up some plate mail, go to town, sell it, then return to the loot site and pick up more plate mail and then repeat? And if you can, how much advantage this would give you?

coaxmetal

Novice
oh! oh ! me ! me!

i think i know this ! isn't this something that got its name from diablo or some mmorpg and then implemented in all of 'em ?

and then some more brutes in full plate respawn and then you kill some more, and make more trips to the store to sell full plate, and then return...[etc] ... FUN!

butsomuch

Novice
Witcher Q&A Part 2 at FS
http://www.firingsquad.com/games/the_wi ... efault.asp

FiringSquad: How involved can we expect the story to be? Is it going to be relatively light like a Diablo, more involved like Baldur's Gate or a full-on exposition in the vein of Planescape: Torment?

CDProjekt: When compared to the aforementioned, we’d much rather see our game in the line with productions of a great storyline like Baldur’s Gate (epically drawn plotline) or Planescape: Torment (extraordinary protagonist and his mystery). We ourselves would probable be the closest to calling The Witcher a ‘medieval’ version of Fallout, mainly due to two similarities – nonlinearity and mature world full of violence and eroticism. Additionally, unlike in the case of titles mentioned above, we have for our disposal a unique protagonist – strongly characterized by his literary background, story and interpersonal relations. This, we think, wins us a lot and works to the game’s advantage.

According to master Hitchcock’s maxim our game will begin with ‘an earthquake’ and then the tension will rise. We would not like to see the gamers bored with lengthy introductions, which by the way are the curse of most contemporary RPGs, that is why we’re putting the protagonist ‘in medias res’ – into the middle of the plot. Geralt wakes up with no recollection of the past, somewhere within the walls of an ancient witchers’ keep. Only to see it attacked by a bunch of mysterious thugs. After a few moments of astonishment, the witchers gain control over the situation and the slaughter of the bandits – completely unprepared to face so dangerous an enemy as the monster slayers - begins. It shortly turns out that the attack was not aimed at the witchers themselves. And though the monster slayers try to keep away from humans, their intrigues and conflicts, they are soon engaged in a military and political trickery. Geralt, however, has a freedom of choice, he can join either of the sides or remain neutral.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom