Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witcher Question

Is there any reason to buy the expanded/extended edition (or whatever it's called) rather than buying the vanilla version for half the price and then downloading the free patch?

Kaiserin

Liturgist
WanderingThrough2 said:
Is there any reason to buy the expanded/extended edition (or whatever it's called) rather than buying the vanilla version for half the price and then downloading the free patch?
I hear they have fancy stuff in the new box.

Ausir

Arcane
The box of The Witcher Enhanced Edition contains a "making of"-DVD, a CD with 29 official in game soundtracks, another CD with "Inspired by" soundtracks and music, a book with the short story The Witcher, from the book The Last Wish, a map of Temeria printed on high quality paper, an overhauled game manual, and the official strategy guide. In addition, the D'jinni Adventure Editor is also on the DVD with the two new Adventures.

Fez

Erudite
If you don't want the extras in the box and you are only concerned about getting the game then it is the same game no matter which one you purchase. Getting a decent box full of manuals, maps and such is nice if you remember the days when it was more common.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I assume the two new adventures are not included in the patch, so that may be one more reason to buy the EE.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Hmm that's generous of them. But you'll have to REGISTER your game , which is really horrible and stuff... DU's worst nightmare.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'd rather just get the EE so I don't have to re-download the patch every time I install the game.

Kraszu

Prophet
Admiral jimbob said:
ghostdog said:
I assume the two new adventures are not included in the patch, so that may be one more reason to buy the EE.

Everything in the EE can be downloaded for free by owners of the original game.
Which makes the map etc lose some of its effect, but hey.

Personally I am sucker for things like maps, books, in physical format nice printed on good paper. You can't compare it to some pdf files.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
The downloads really are huge, the registration process is a convoluted pain in the ASS, and the content of the game is improved only slightly, from what I can tell so far.

Still, The Witcher is a very good game and I support this message.

The Ticktockman

Scholar
Crispy said:
...the registration process is a convoluted pain in the ASS...

I'm sorry, but this is absolutely not true. I just registered my copy of the Witcher two days ago. Here was the process:

Start the Witcher
Press "Register Game" button
Type in email and create a password
Type in cd key
DONE

I may have missed a thing or two (might have had to confirm an email), but it took less than ONE MINUTE TO REGISTER. And zero personal information was asked for.

But I hear bashing the Witcher EE is hip these days, so whatever.

Fez

Erudite
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
I'd rather just get the EE so I don't have to re-download the patch every time I install the game.

I've seen so many people saying this that I think the people praising them for enhancing the game for "free" should reconsider their position. It was clearly only done for marketing and $$$ and not as some grand gift out of love.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Why the hell are you even buying either versions if you can acquire it by not physically removing it from someone's inventory?

J1M

Arcane
Actually, buying the regular Witcher is probably going to put the same money in CDP's pocket. The retailers buy the games from them wholesale. If it's less now they are selling it at a discounted price. Same as selling at full price for the publisher.

If it doesn't sell at all then they will ship it back to the publisher and there is some weird refund/discount on future stuff formula.

The Ticktockman

Scholar
Crispy said:
The Ticktockman said:
But I hear bashing the Witcher EE is hip these days, so whatever.

Where was I bashing the game? I was bashing the reg process as many others have over at the EE tech forum.

So instead of addressing the actual CONTENT of my post, you instead focus on the offhanded comment at the end. My point still stands, and you were wrong. But good for you.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
The Ticktockman said:
So instead of addressing the actual CONTENT of my post, you instead focus on the offhanded comment at the end. My point still stands, and you were wrong. But good for you.

Okay, you asked for it:

I may have missed a thing or two (might have had to confirm an email)

That's exactly where the problem lies. You get a confirmation email, it says to click the link to activate your account. You do so, then it tells you to enter your new username and password. Then it says that you have to activate your account first to do that. But... wait. Wasn't that exactly what I was just doing? WTF? Try again. Same results. What's going on here? Why can't this be more straightforward?

Oh, wait. I see the problem. These stupid Polish fucks forgot to tell you that the confirmation email itself is where you get the activation code. Why didn't they just say ENTER THE CODE RIGHT IN THIS FIELD. Nope, had to figure it out myself.

Convoluted.

So kindly fuck off.

The Ticktockman

Scholar
I'm sorry it was so complicated for you. That sounds like a major problem they should address asap. In the meantime, the rest of us will just not be retarded.

cutterjohn

Cipher
ONLY the new ENGINE can be downloaded along with the language :dubs:.

The US EE release includes 2 sound track CDs (game + game "inspired"(horrible IMO)) and a making of video DVD (PS2 complains about region?! WTF?! playijg with SMS give me polock video...)

[EDIT]
I may be wrong about the above, but as far as I've seen only the "engine"/adventures/language packs are downloadable.

The US EE includes 2 audio CDs gametrack and "inspired" by gametrack.

A making of DVD which complains under my PS2 using the standard player, but SMS can play the VOB files although they're all in Polish, no subtitles...

An installation guide (whoopee).

A game guide (so much for gamefaqs...)

An excerpt from the Last Wish with some illustrations. (I already have the book.)

Only manual is PDF only. I wish that they'd have given us the manual rather than the "guide"... but have manual from the first release... The game does a fairly good job of telling you how to do things, so it's not an entirely critical miss.

It's a fairly good package for $40/50 as most companies would try to sell it for $60 with all the extras...

I see that the 2nd book is out in England, but it's WTF?! about $26 US for a paperback?! WTF?!
[/EDIT]

To clarify then: for $27 (vanilla) you get all the same game features and content, and for $39 (enhanced) you get a bunch of swag like posters, music CDs, etc., but the game is identical (once the former is patched)? Or did you need to register the original BEFORE the enhanced version came out to upgrade it? The only major upside seems to be that you would avoid the delay of having to download gigabytes of patches.

I ask because to be frank I find all the swag a little embarrassing at the end of the day, so I'd just as soon not get it.

Fez

Erudite
You can register the original game any time to get and install the patches.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom