Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Witcher impressions at GameSpot

Amasius

Augur
There is an interesing interview with a witcher designer at IGN. (Spotted at RPG Watch) And they don't like Oblivion:

Michal Madej said:
Gothic despite it was open-ended, still it was story driven. Oblivion was not story driven at all.

I didn't like Oblivion at all. [CD Projekt] had to play the game, we had to find what was, why the game was so popular.

We believe Oblivion was so popular because, first of all, it was very well known brand. Second thing it was very popular because it has really great visuals. And also my opinion is games like Oblivion are dying because people who want to play open-ended games, they're playing online games. Playing Oblivion was like playing World of Warcraft without any other players. For me it was boring.
You gotta like those guy.

Bradylama

Arcane
I remember Piranha Bytes said in a very roundabout way in a 1up interview that Oblivion was a polished turd. CDProjekt just won the "I Hate Oblivion" arms race.

Bradylama said:
I remember Piranha Bytes said in a very roundabout way in a 1up interview that Oblivion was a polished turd. CDProjekt just won the "I Hate Oblivion" arms race.
Eh, people in glass houses and all that.

Globbi

Augur
Amasius said:
There is an interesing interview with a witcher designer at IGN. (Spotted at RPG Watch) And they don't like Oblivion:

Michal Madej said:
Gothic despite it was open-ended, still it was story driven. Oblivion was not story driven at all.

I didn't like Oblivion at all. [CD Projekt] had to play the game, we had to find what was, why the game was so popular.

We believe Oblivion was so popular because, first of all, it was very well known brand. Second thing it was very popular because it has really great visuals. And also my opinion is games like Oblivion are dying because people who want to play open-ended games, they're playing online games. Playing Oblivion was like playing World of Warcraft without any other players. For me it was boring.

I think his Oblivion hate may be caused by the fact that Cenega is it's Polish publisher. It is not sure though but I bet the guy's opinion would be different if CDP would be the publisher. Not surprisingly CDP always tries to make thier games look better than the competition's games.

Mr Happy

Scholar
Amasius said:

Michal Madej said:

Hah, what I find interesting is the IGN guy gets in on the bashing too.

ign guy said:
IGN: I didn't like the main story in Oblivion very much.

IGN: Oblivion was open-ended, but it wasn't quite as open-ended as Gothic was.

The funny thing is, Oblivion got like a 9.2 and gothic 3 got a 4.9. Probably not the same guy, but this sort of thing seems to be happening a lot. You are hearing all over phrases like "oblivion's simple ai" and "while oblivion's plot was rather linear.." from sites that called those aspects groundbreakingly about a year and a half earlier. Fun stuff.

Michal Madej: Because there was no auction house, no guild interaction, and so on and so on. I was really bored with the game; I just finished it because it was my work. I remember I was playing Oblivion because my internet connection was down, I was playing Oblivion and I was falling asleep. I realized around 12 PM I said let's go to sleep. I was just shutting the computer down and I saw there is an internet connection, ok so let's look at the World of Warcraft, and I ended like three hours later.

I'm glad somebody noticed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom