Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witcher 3 sold 4 mln copies in first two weeks

Perkel

Arcane
CDPR said:
Dear Gamers,

May 19th was a crucial date for all of us here at CD PROJEKT RED -- we released The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, our open world role-playing game that we had been hard at work on for over 3 years. Since day one, you have given us tons of positive feedback and support -- the sheer volume of emails we’ve gotten since launch simply congratulating us for our efforts is both epic and heartwarming, and I wish every developer comes to have such a fantastic community. In terms of media reception, we’re really humbled by the scores the game has received all around the world. With an average of 90+ on every platform, Wild Hunt is our dream coming true.

I’d also like to take this opportunity to thank the four million gamers worldwide who bought The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt in the first two weeks from launch. Four million RPG fans spending their hard-earned money on our game is a sign that we did something right, and you can be sure that we’ll harness all that positive energy and make the upcoming expansions worthy of the grand adventure that you’re telling us Wild Hunt already is! Until then, keep on enjoying Wild Hunt, do not forget to grab your weekly set of free DLCs, and stay tuned for constant updates and enhancement to the game we are continuously working on.

Dandelion once said to Geralt that the world is changing, the sun is setting, and vodka’s running out -- go, play, and have fun!

All the best,
Marcin Iwiński
Co-founder, CD PROJEKT RED
looks like they are in AAA business for good. Let the :decline: begin !
:negative:

Keshik

Arcane
One could argue it had already begun :P

Still, good for them even if they'll end up like Bioware.

Explorerbc

Arcane
They are still the best "AAA rpg" studio around so it's good to see them sell well.

Looking forward to Cyberpunk

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They are still the best "AAA rpg" studio around so it's good to see them sell well.

Looking forward to Cyberpunk

I wonder about Cyberpunk. Witchers were a matter of national pride for the Poles and it showed. You really feel all the artists, writers and musicians gave their absolute best to make the best looking, written and sounding game evah. Which TW3 is. Cyberpunk though....well at least there'll be black people.

Perkel

Arcane
Purchased by EA within a year. Witcher: Inquisition out in 2018.

heh. After TW3 i don't think they will have money problems in loooong time. They covered whole production cost of TW3 in just one day after release

hivemind

Juts goes to show that you really should always invest a lot into marketing.

also

4 million copies and not a single one gifted in the codex begging thread :negative:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
CDPR said:
Dear Gamers,

May 19th was a crucial date for all of us here at CD PROJEKT RED -- we released The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, our open world role-playing game that we had been hard at work on for over 3 years. Since day one, you have given us tons of positive feedback and support -- the sheer volume of emails we’ve gotten since launch simply congratulating us for our efforts is both epic and heartwarming, and I wish every developer comes to have such a fantastic community. In terms of media reception, we’re really humbled by the scores the game has received all around the world. With an average of 90+ on every platform, Wild Hunt is our dream coming true.

I’d also like to take this opportunity to thank the four million gamers worldwide who bought The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt in the first two weeks from launch. Four million RPG fans spending their hard-earned money on our game is a sign that we did something right, and you can be sure that we’ll harness all that positive energy and make the upcoming expansions worthy of the grand adventure that you’re telling us Wild Hunt already is! Until then, keep on enjoying Wild Hunt, do not forget to grab your weekly set of free DLCs, and stay tuned for constant updates and enhancement to the game we are continuously working on.

Dandelion once said to Geralt that the world is changing, the sun is setting, and vodka’s running out -- go, play, and have fun!

All the best,
Marcin Iwiński

Could've been 40 million copies in the first two weeks, had it had sex cards.

latest

Apexeon

Arcane
CDPR said:
Dear Gamers,

All the best,
Marcin Iwiński

Could've been 40 million copies in the first two weeks, had it had sex cards.

latest

They missed out on some easy money.

JasonNH

Augur
GOG has a nice sales update today.

Looks like PC sales are around 1.3 million total, with GOG Galaxy making up a little over half of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
They were quoted on twitter (someone please provide the link) as saying they recouped their production cost on day one of release.

This makes me feel very good about Cyberpunk 2077. Gonna be honest.. As much as Witcher 3 made me give a shit about Geralt and the world he lives in - way more then I ever did in Witcher 2 / 1.. I am getting a little fantasy'd out.

I would love a Futuristic open world dystopia game that DIDN'T get destroyed in nuclear holocaust.
Make it happen Potato's

norolim

Arcane
So, the strategy to tie all versions of the game (except Steam) to GOG Galaxy worked pretty well for them. Those PC sales are also quite impressive.

resilient sphere

Educated
so

er

does it play as much like an Assassin's Creed game as it looks like in a let's play? From first few hours it's really hard to discern the game's RPG qualities at all

Perkel

Arcane
So, the strategy to tie all versions of the game (except Steam) to GOG Galaxy worked pretty well for them. Those PC sales are also quite impressive.

They would be even better if they would release only on PC. Few of my friends skipped PC version and went for console as they wanted stable good framerate.

they suffer now 20fps in bogs where i play constantly locked @ 50fps.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
so

er

does it play as much like an Assassin's Creed game as it looks like in a let's play? From first few hours it's really hard to discern the game's RPG qualities at all
Short answer: yes, the basic gameplay feels a lot like Assassin's Creed, except it controls like shit and the signs make combat a bit more interesting.
The RPG aspects are honestly pretty light, and come through more in the narrative focus, and I guess in the gear crafting than in the character mechanics (which are, frankly, negligible).
I suppose it depends on how you define an RPG.
:troll:

Blackguard

Learned
GOG has a nice sales update today.

Looks like PC sales are around 1.3 million total, with GOG Galaxy making up a little over half of them.

Less than 1/3rd of the total sales are PC then. Big turn around for series that started as PC only.

Last edited by a moderator:

norolim

Arcane
No, these figures are actually very good for PC. The game sold as many copies on PC as on the other platforms (probably less than PS4 and more than XBONE). This stands in opposition to the constant claims that the PC can't compete with the consoles as a gaming platform.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It also took longer for the first Twitcher to hit a million sales, but it's kinda comparable to the second.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom