Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witcher 3 sales beaten witcher 2 by 600% and Battlefield Hardline by 50%

norolim

Arcane
They don't have publishers. Just distribution deals. For one game. They self-fund everything and take loans when necessary, you know - never invest your own money.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I doubt EA could just buy 'CDP Red' when they are an inhouse developer of 'CDP'.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Counting PC sales excluding digital channels is completely dumb at this point, I don't even know any people who still buy PC games from retail, excluding maybe collector editions.

norolim

Arcane
Well, SteamSpy says Steam sales are around 500K. Now, GOG sales for W2 were 20% of all the copies sold on Steam. This time, however, CDP have been actively promoting their own digital platform with the game, so it's possible that GOG sales are also close to that 500K figure. I'd say the worldwide PC digital sales might be around 1M. Unfortunately, there isn't really any way to relate that to the figures in the OP, because they only refer to the UK market.

poetic codex

Augur
Those sales numbers look horriblefor PC until you realize that nobody buys physical discs for PC's anymore.

I will still never forget the last time I tried to buy a disk copy of a PC game from gamestop:

1. The PC section was hidden away in a tiny dark corner of the basement, and
2. The shop owner didn't even know that the game had a PC version
3.The game (Alpha Protocol) had pre-order bonuses on the consoles that were not available for the PC version

That's when I personally stopped trying to buy physical version of PC games.

CD Projekt themselves promoted their game on GOG and their new download client "GOG Galaxy" which means that the digital sales would give much more accurate comparison information.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Those sales numbers look horriblefor PC until you realize that nobody buys physical discs for PC's anymore.

I will still never forget the last time I tried to buy a disk copy of a PC game from gamestop:

1. The PC section was hidden away in a tiny dark corner of the basement, and
2. The shop owner didn't even know that the game had a PC version
3.The game (Alpha Protocol) had pre-order bonuses on the consoles that were not available for the PC version

That's when I personally stopped trying to buy physical version of PC games.

CD Projekt themselves promoted their game on GOG and their new download client "GOG Galaxy" which means that the digital sales would give much more accurate comparison information.

First mistake: shopping at gamestop

buzz

Arcane
I don't understand why people give so much of a shit about "muh digital sales".
First of all, doesn't PS4 and Xbone have digital sales of games as well? Are whatever websites out there tracking the digital revenue coming from consoles? I doubt it.
Second, probably a huge majority of people from Steam and GoG are all about winter/summer/whatever special day sales, where a game's cost is cut by 25/50 or even 75%. That's way into the game's lifetime and it gives a much bigger shelf life to a title. But for companies with AAA ambitions, it's the big numbers at the beginning which really count, not the overall slow but steady sales through the times.

I mean, I'd be glad to be proved wrong, but time has shown again and again that the big moola can still be made from consoles. It's the only way to explain how such a PC-focused company like CDP would so aggressively push for console releases and shit. They more-or-less own the second biggest online distribution store for PC gaming and the Witcher games are the source for the "PC Master Race" meme, that's how tied their shit was supposed to be tied to computers. Yet they still cling to more sales from the "console plebs", just like InXile, Larian, Blizzard, Valve and many other PC big shots. The only thing missing is a grand strategy title from Paradox.

Severian Silk

I still haven't played Witcher 2. Purchasing Witcher 3 is a while away yet.

Zeronet

Learned
Measuring physical copies in this era is pointless outside of consoles, where the majority of sales are still physical as far as i know.

I don't understand why people give so much of a shit about "muh digital sales".
First of all, doesn't PS4 and Xbone have digital sales of games as well? Are whatever websites out there tracking the digital revenue coming from consoles? I doubt it.
Second, probably a huge majority of people from Steam and GoG are all about winter/summer/whatever special day sales, where a game's cost is cut by 25/50 or even 75%. That's way into the game's lifetime and it gives a much bigger shelf life to a title. But for companies with AAA ambitions, it's the big numbers at the beginning which really count, not the overall slow but steady sales through the times.

I mean, I'd be glad to be proved wrong.

Here are the figures for Witcher 3, http://steamspy.com/app/292030

We know this is accurate from game companies who release sales milestones, http://steamspy.com/app/255710. Cities Skylines hit 250,000 on it's first day and the vast majority of it's sales are through steam. The game hasn't been discounted once and it's over a million, confirmed by paradox (not citing any particular platform). So you can pretty much trust that the Witcher has sold about 500,000 copies on steam alone.

Most popular PC games can sell fairly well immediately on release digitally.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I wonder what kind of deals they have with their distributors considering CD Projekt RED is listed as publisher for Witcher 3.

Hopefully better than this:

6QyKu9I.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
I'm just curious, do the profits of the Witcha go to CDProjekt? I heard they make some cash with GoG and they having their own money on Witcha 3 isn't that unbelievable or they have the usual publisher contract "We pay you in potatoes and we get the money." with Warner Bros?

Yes. They have like 6-7 different distributors for different regions (wb, bandai and others). I think also that they are the ones that handle all production and they also handled all translation. GOG is theirs

So yeah almost all money compared to contracted work like Obsidian does goes straight to their pocket.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom