Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witch hunting through space and time - Let's Play Waxworks!

lightbane

Arcane
Heh, you found these deaths repulsive? You have seen nothing. The Blood God is satisfied with this lp, please spill more blood (of the main characters or his her enemies) for him as soon as you can.

PS: Dragon Age is NOTHING compared with the over-the-top death scenes here.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Awesome LP so far!

Black Cat said:
The mines are hellish, indeed. It is very easy to get yourself into a situation you can't win in there. At least half of my time playing the game on my original run was trying to clear that bloody dungeon, restarting it, trying to clear it again, restarting it, etc, until I got it right
I thought it was just me! I restarted the mines a few times, doing things differently each time and trying to piece together what to do. On my last try I managed to get quite ahead, killed everything, had the entire area explored and even knew what I had to do (I'll keep this spoiler-free for the others), but I was missing something and couldn't figure out HOW to do it.

And for those who think the Egyptian deaths are gruesome - just you wait until BC reaches the mines :smug:

Though in terms of pacing, difficulty and combat/puzzle balance the pyramid is my favorite waxwork.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Sceptic said:
Though in terms of pacing, difficulty and combat/puzzle balance the pyramid is my favorite waxwork.
Awesome part of this game what all waxworks so different. But I was really frustrated by London because was caughted too often.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Black Cat said:
I'll continue with Enzai some other time, as I don't really have the time for such a text heavy game and I'm on my moralbitch phase anyway.
objection_dude.png

Oh well, this also looks like a fun game. But I have to admit that death scenes are pretty weaksauce compared to some of the stuff you can find in Type Moon games.

Black Cat

Magister
@ KalosKagathos

Problem is my nails are pretty long, yes? Not ridiculously long, yet, but long none the less. And I know this will come as a surprise for you guys but that means both I type really slowly and my hands hurt a whole lot when I finish very long updates. Now, for comparison purposes, once I finish my next Waxworks' update I'll be about one fourth of the game done and I think I'll have invested a total six to seven hours writing the Updates, since the game is actually pretty scarce on text and it's mostly dungeon crawling, so once you have shown one statue with two jars at the sides you have shown all statues with two jars at the sides and can pretty much tell along the way i did find another statue with jars at the sides, one of which had one more tunning fork for our collection. I also murdered a guard and got cut to ribbons by a wire trap I did not see. Twice. In the end, those six to seven hours will be less than I have spent writing a single update to a visual novel. So my hands, my homework, my research, my friends, and my boyfriend will be happier if I just stick to cool and obscure and hard, but actually shorter and easier to Let's Play since they aren't trying to be the bible, games.

So my current list of things I may Let's Play for you lovable jerks is mostly made up of dungeon crawlers, weird and obscure JRPGs, and maybe one or two short adventures, all, or most, horror themed to keep with the EmoGoth Witch theme. I do plan on going back to Enzai, in particular, and Visual Novels, in general, at a later date. Right now, though, I can't really invest that kind of a time on every single update, nor I am happy with my hands feeling all painfull, cramped, and arthritic every time I do.

I'm totally sorry. :(

@ Cenobyte

We will kill the crocodile on the next update. Basicaly we need to retread our steps twice or thrice from other floors to the first one in order to do something we couldn't do the first time here, like taking down that wooden beam we found and killing the crocodile to get water from the pool.

@ Furious Flaming Faggot

* Reads the comment about the last death being fucking metal *
* Goes back to the image about deadly iron spikes going through Prince Cassim *
* Reads the comment about fucking metal again *
* spills her tea and spends the next five minutes both facepalming and giggling *

@ Topic

Next update will be early tomorrow, i believe. Thank you for all your comments and the like.

dr. one

Augur
this game frustrated me to no end when i´ve played it on a good ole Amiga. its absorbing atmosphere had been pulling me persistently in though, until i´ve all exhausted finished it.
i don´t think there are many games which are so effective at evoking distress in player. a very memorable bitch of a game. personally i´ve found it much better than both Elviras.
interestingly, i´ve found London to be the most frustrating part. maybe not because it was the most difficult segment per se though, just the one that felt comparatively most mundane and thus retrying it wasn´t so fun.

anyway, great LP and good luck with the rest!

Black Cat

Magister
Chapter the third; Return of Egypt.
A pretty short update because our heroine is retarded, on which the second floor of the Pyramid is explored, a crocodile killed, and more puzzles solved.

Durign the previous chapter we managed to get to the Pyramid's second floor after solving the easy puzzle protecting it's entrance. As we begin this third chapter and rejoin Prince Cassim on his quest to save his bethroted, we valiantly move forward into the unknown traps and dangers the remaining floors of the Pyramid hold for us. What terrible foes will be fa...

c01n.png

c02.png

Ok. Let's get serious, let's watch the floor for wires, let's advance carefully and paying attention to every sing...

c03.png

c04e.png

*sigh*

Welcome to another chapter on our quest to solve Waxworks. As you can see, new traps and devious devices awaits us! The first one was just another kind of wire trap, nothing to explain about it. The second one, though, was a rolling boulder, a new kind of trap that triggers when you step on certain tiles. It works just like an enemy, only it moves just on a straight line, it's a bit faster, and you die if you touch it, so you need to get out of the way ASAP.

But not any kind of getting out of the way will work. For example, if I run back to the corridor's begining and hide around the corner, as I did the second time against that particular trap...

c05.png

... That will happen. Boulders can turn corners until they hit the corner or the dead end where they are suposed to become locked into, so you need to jump into side corridors and niches instead. That said we press forward, and there isn't much going on here. We come across one or two more guards, and kill them. After a bit of exploration of the main corridor we come across a strange looking wall, in a corner.

c06g.png

As you can see it's obviously some kind of secret passage, but how to open it? The answer is in that wooden beam we found in the lower floor, that's actually holding this segment of wall up. If we remove the beam the wall will fall down and the path will be opened for us. Since we lack of the means to do that just now, though, we keep exploring this part of the second floor. After a while we find two other things of interest: A second wooden beam, this one supporting a wall on the third floor, and another statue with jars at the side.

c07.png

c08l.png

One of those hold a weight. The other one, a big hammer. The later one allows us to strike down the beams, so back to the first floor we go. As it is only natural, though, we don't strike the beam from any neighboring tile. No, no. We strike the beam from the very same tile it stands in. Yeah.

c10x.png

Poor Prince Cassim. He couldn't against the weight of his own fate. :cry:

Now we do it right, and then we hurry back to the second floo...

c11a.png

I forgot all about the first floor's wire, yay. Now, we do everything again and this time actually evade that trap. Once in the second floor we strike down the second beam, opening a new area in the third floor, and then move into the area we opened by striking down the first one. There we come across a tile and a fiery pit. I try to jump into it but the game doesn't wants me to. Bloody game.

c12t.png

c13s.png

The former is a piece of a later puzzle. For the later, meanwhile, we need much water to douse off the embers. For that we need to defeat the crocodile, but we lack the means to do so and, thus, continue exploring. While doing so we come across another guard, who proceeds to hand me my butt back in just two strikes. Yay. We turn back time, we kick his butt.

c14.png

We pat ourselves in the back, we pose for the camera with the spear and imagine epic middle eastern music going on in the background, and then move forw...

c15.png

Stupid wires. We turn time back, again, and kill the guard, again. Then we move forward, evade the wire, and next to another statue find a jar full of... entrails.

c16t.png

This is exactly what I need to lure the crocodile outside the lake, so hold back the Ewww as I pick it and throw it into Prince Cassim's magic skirt of most mysterious holding. Then I hurry back to the fir...

c17l.png

Damn, I forgot about the wire just around the corner. We kill the guard again, evade the wire, get the entrails, evade the wire, go back to the first floor. Then, straight to the lake. Next to it we spill the entrails, retreat a single step, and, once the crocodile has come out to feed, throw a spear at it. Prince Cassim shows us, thus, he's actually quite of a crack shot with a spear, what makes me wonder why aren't we throwing spears to the bad guys instead of going close and personal.

c18.png

We fill all of our jars with water from the lake, then return to the fiery pit and douse the embers. Our path to the third floor is thus opened. Or almost, for another puzzle lies between us and the next stage.

c19j.png

c20w.png

c21c.png

This one's fun since it changes which bottle is the right one to fill each time you play it, and it also changes the initial position of the switches. Basicaly, the puzzle is about turning the switches in such a way that the water coming down the tubes fills the bottle marked with the Ankh before one of the bottles marked with serpents gets full and the angry pit of angry iron spikes is opened beneath us.

It's quite an easy one, too, so we are in the next floor at the first try. We are cool, etc. We will continue either later today or early tomorrow, since I... I... I... :cry:

I had already written the update until the end of the Pyramid and then forgot to save it.

:retarded:

So more in a little while. Oh, and the score so far for your perverse enjoyment:

07 cute ways of going beyond found.
09 unintentional visits to Saint Peter's checkpoint done.

@ Dr.One
Yes, i can kind of see why some people wouldn't like London. It's too much like an adventure game, so you retry the same things again and again and again until you find the right item to solve the event, then move to the next part and repeat the process, all the while the police and angry mobs are running around trying to get you. If you miss an item along the way you are as good as dead, too.

spekkio

Arcane
About goddamn time!
Stop trolling in other threads, troll in this one!

:rpgcodex:

lightbane

Arcane
Boulders can turn corners until they hit the corner or the dead end where they are suposed to become locked into, so you need to jump into side corridors and niches instead. T

That gave me an idea: Sentient/magic giant boulders that actually pursue you to crush you would make an awesome trap... Anyways, continue as soon as you can.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I love the graphics of this game. 90'ies game aesthetics are just so excellent.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:howling sounds:

Blackity Cat,
Denizen of woe,
Keep up this thread
From long ago!

Where'er you are,
Alive or dead,
Appear to us,
Blackity Cat!

Black Cat

Magister
Sorry for the delay. We'll continue as soon I remember which of my imageshack accounts I was using, its password, and how I had set Dosbox's config thingie.

Black Cat

Magister
Chapter the fourth; twice the same stone.
In which our heroine will act kind of retardedish and will fall many times on the very same trap, will solve many puzzles, will use the wrong weapon against the wrong enemies, and finally will leave the Pyramid behind, yay!

Hello. As I said before, sorry about the delay, though by now everyone should know I always finish my Let's Play thingies, even if my life becomes a smoking ruin midway and I need to take a vacation. Now, let's get this party going once more: During the last chapter Prince Cassim reached the third level after dying many times, killing some half naked guards, and solving a bunch of puzzles. From the third floor onwards, however, the floors become pretty small, given it is a Pyramid after all, and i'll try to fit what is left of the Ancient Egypt level in this one update.

For now we start exploring the third floor, and soon discover most of it is out of our reach, given all the passages starting from the only corridor we can follow are protected by sheets of glass.

wax000.jpg

wax001.jpg

Lucky for us, however, one of the tunning forks we already have is enough to break one of those sheets, allowing us to move forward. As we do, we come across another wooden support. We move quickly to the other side and then bring the support down: We are now trapped, given the only exit from this area to the previous one is through one of those sheets of glass we still don't have the tunning fork to open. Had I brought the support down before crossing to the other side our adventure would have been finished, since we would have worked ourselves into a corner.

wax003.jpg

wax004.jpg

We keep following the only path we can, kill a new guard, and then come across two things of some interest. The first one is a large room with a cracked pot hanging from ropes and a large mural of some egyptian gods on the opposite side.

wax006.jpg

wax008.jpg

Before doing anything here, however, we return to the corridor and keep exploring until we find a side passage ending on a dead end and holding the third of those small tiles we have been finding.

wax009.jpg

We take it and, now, return to the room with the cracked pot, in which we place those two big mounds of sand we found back in the first level of the pyramid. The weight of the sand is enough to bring down the pot and, by doing so, raise the mural, allowing us further passage.

wax011.jpg

Beyond we come to another passage. To the right of the gate there's a corridor of only two tiles in lenght, a detail that tells me of new dangers. To the left is where we go, and we haven't gone very far when we hear the sound of a floor tile going down and a big stone being let loose in our direction. Super fasty fast I run back to the entrance and let the boulder go into the side corridor, stoping at the dead end.

wax012.jpg

wax013.jpg

Not long afterwards we come across another boulder trap, but this time we have an easier time escaping since a side corridor is almost there. There we fight another soldier and then take a 415.3 Hz tunning fork from the jar he guarded.

wax014.jpg

Back at the main corridor we keep going forward, finding a small stone in a niche along the way. Later we kill another soldier, take two steps, and...

wax016.jpg

wax017.jpg

wax018.jpg

:decline: of furry witches.

So I reload. Again, I take the tile, open passage to the next area by pouring a big lot of sand into the pot, evade two boulders, kill a guard, get the tunning fork, get the stone, barely kill the other guard, and...

wax022.jpg

:x

*facepaw*

This is stupid! Ok, I reload. Take the tile, fill the pot with sand, evade the boulders...

wax023.jpg

And not just once. For some reason I don't manage to kill those guys with spears again not matter how much I try. After half a dozen or so tries I switch to the sword, since being weaker but faster than the spear I can hurt their arms much faster and then conserve more health. At least, in theory. In practice I totally slaughter them. And, also, i totally evade the wire this time, yay!

I save and enter the room beyond the trap, to the side of the corridor.

wax027.jpg

wax028.jpg

I was already prepared for this, though, so I quickly reload just outside the door and am more careful know. A tile in the room, and just beyond the entrance it seems, is somewhat raised, relative to the others. We throw our stone to this tile and an arrow is shot from side to side of the room. Now we can enter.

wax030.jpg

wax031.jpg

wax032.jpg

To each side of the room there's a statue of an archer. We pick the arrow we just saw being shot and pick the bow from one of the statues. Then we leave the room and continue towards the next floor, the stair being just a couple of tiles away. In the next floor we come across two niches close to the entrance, and no puzzles. Again, those niches mean bad news, so we carefuly advance down the corridor. Inspired by the situation in that last room we visited, however, I pay careful attention to the floor, discovering you can actually notice, and click on, the raised tiles activating the boulders!

wax035.jpg

But I actually prefer to just trigger them, since each can only be triggered once and then the corridor is left clean. So I trigger the first boulder and run in the nearer niche from those next to the stair, soon the boulder rolling into the other. Naturally, the niche were I hid will be the one into which the next boulder rolls, so when a bit further we come across another boulder trap we instead jump into a new niche a bit to the side. Afterwards we kill guards and come across another strange place...

wax038.jpg

A small obelisk with a target etched on it? Curious. Before doing anything with it, though, we go down a side corridor and find another tunning fork. Then we return to the obelisk and use our bow and arrow to hit the target, and then the obelisk is drawn down by some mechanism or another.

wax039.jpg

wax040.jpg

wax044.jpg

Beyond, and after a small walk, we come across another sheet of glass. None of our tunning forks work on this one, so we remember there were sheets of glass yet to explore in a lower floor and straight there we go, carefully evading the wires and the like. Now we can actually break through them both, and thus we find yet another tunning fork. Yay. Then we quickly return to the upper floor...

wax046.jpg

wax047.jpg

:rage:

Screw this. It was the very same wire from before. :cry:

So, let's do it again. Carefully, this time. We get the tunning fork, we use our bow to open the path beyond the obelisk, we get the XP from those tiles we can access beyond. Then we go back to the floor beneath, carefully evade the wire of death and doom, break the first sheet of glass, walk a couple of tiles, break the second sheet of glass, take the next tunning fork, go back to the upper lev...

wax048.jpg

... T-T

Nothing more to say about that. Third time's the charm. We survive long enough to reach the glass sheet beyond the obelisk and break it down. Then we kill a priest, bring down another wooden support, and...

wax049.jpg

wax050.jpg

wax051.jpg

I do hate those stupid wires. Really. And, again, we do break the glass sheet, bring down the wooden support, evade this time the wire, and reach another big room, this one with strange symbols on the floor tiles.

wax052.jpg

wax053.jpg

The path of life, it says? We do not know which among those symbols are related to Hathor but, do you remember the scroll we found on the very first room we visited? We read it, again.

wax054.jpg

Assuming those symbols are related to Anubis, we check which symbols of every row are present on the scroll and step on the one which isn't. Soon enough we are on the opposite side, aren't we cool? And beyond, another staircase awaits us!

wax055.jpg

wax056.jpg

wax057.jpg

wax058.jpg

wax059.jpg

wax060.jpg

wax061.jpg

Again, there's no puzzle barring the gate to the next floor. After walking a couple of tiles, though, we notice some kind of gas has started pouring into the area! If you run and run around you will notice both you are in a square corridor and that the only exit, the one you came through from the staircase, has been blocked by a mechanism pushing part of the wall or roof into it. If you carefully walk around, however, and check the walls every step you will soon find there's one tile whose outer wall is no true wall but a mirror(-kun)!

wax062.jpg

wax063.jpg

The solution is obvious, but instead we sit and wait for dead. Cof, cof.

wax064.jpg

That's another one for the collection. Now we reload to the staircase and do this area again, this time running straight to the mirror and trying all of our tunning forks on it. When we hit the right note the mirror is broken and the gas stops pouring in. We can, also, now continue forward, given the mirror actually blocked a corridor with some boulder traps to evade and a priest to kill. We are almost there! We reach the last two rooms of this floor.

The first one has a passage leading to the next room, a couple of statues, the corridor that served us as entrance, and a mural depicting Hathor, next to which some poor artist guy lies dead.

wax068.jpg

wax069.jpg

wax070.jpg

wax071.jpg

We first check the body, finding some kind of amulet around his slashedneck. Then we tap the mural, discovering it is, actually, hollow! We take our sword and hit the mural until the way is clear!

wax073.jpg

wax076.jpg

wax077.jpg

wax078.jpg

And don't ask the little neko why we must use the sword, or another weapon, instead of, say, the hammer to do this. Beyond, in any case, we find the stairs leading to the final floor! But we cannot go there just yet, naturally. First we must do something else on this floor: We return to the room with the artist's body and now go to the one connected by this through a short corridor. In this room, other than the passage we used to reach it, we come across three areas of interest, and the three are actually murals of some kind.

wax079.jpg

wax081.jpg

wax085.jpg

We tap them. The scarab and the eagle thingy are solid, but the mural of Anubis is actually hollow. We demolish it and discover another corridor, this one leading into a smallish room with... well, carvings of snakes and a lot of holes in the walls. Also, there's the fourth tile, in the floor. If you try to take it, however, snakes come out the holes and take you for a chew toy.

wax087.jpg

wax088.jpg

wax089.jpg

wax090.jpg

Ouch. To solve this puzzle we need the jar of oil we got in the first room, inside one of the basket or something like that. We click on it and we get the option to pour it unto the floor, which we take. Then we click on the floor and we'll be able to lit it up. I believe this option only appears if we have the lantern in our inventory, but I never came here without it so I can't be sure.

In any case the floor is covered in flames and we pick the tile, the snakes come out but are unable to reach us, and we run like hell back to the staircase to the next, and last, floor, yay. Once there we come across another puzzlish thingy: We must place the four tiles on the rectangular depression and in the right combination. Which is the combination? I don't have the slightest idea. Since there are just four pieces is easier and faster to just try to change the position of the pieces following a set pattern. That I do, and in less than five minutes we are in the last level, ready to kick ass and say Nya.

wax091.jpg

wax092.jpg

wax095.jpg

We slaughter a priest, then find the first of two treasure chambers on this level. The only useful thing on it is a weight hidden in one of the containers around the room, which we take.

wax097.jpg

Next in line is a huge room with some kind of sarcophagus on the far side, but before going there we enter the second treasure room, whose entrance is opposite the sarcophagus, and loot another weight.

wax098.jpg

wax100.jpg

Now we are ready! We go to the sarcophagus, along the way checking to the side to see a puzzle we will soon have to solve: The scales! Then we proceed and examine the tomb, finding a strange recess in the form of a scarab. Remember that little broch on the shape of a scarab beetle we got in the first level? This is where it goes.

wax102.jpg

wax105.jpg

wax106.jpg

Inside we find Prince Cassim's Princess.

wax107.jpg

wax109.jpg

Who goes straight to the inventory. :roll:

Inside we also find a weight, the last one.

wax111.jpg

And now we go back to the scales. Each weight has a descriptiong of it's, well, weight, going from extremely heavy to extremely light. We begin by placing the extremely heavy weight on the right plate, by the mural of Hathor. Then we place the Heavy and the Very Heavy ones in the left plate, by the mural of Anubis. Then we place the Light and the Very Light weights on the right plate, and the extremely light one in the left one.

wax112.jpg

Having solved the last puzzle a passage opens. We use our last healing scroll to have as much health as we can and go to the last room of the Pyramid, but in the short corridor we are ambushed by Prince Cassim's evil twin, this waxworks' very villain!

wax123.jpg

And then we brutally slaughter him. Nekos with swords are serious business, playa.

kitbc.jpg

Now, the last room. There's not a lot to do here: We walk towards the statue until we can climb it. Then we will find a small hole in which the artist's amulet fits. We place it, un-climb the statue, and push the smaller statue placed between the legs of the bigger one. The passage opens and we are free to go!

wax125.jpg

wax128.jpg

wax129.jpg

wax130.jpg

wax132.jpg

We have defeated the evil twin, rescued the princess, solved the puzzles, evaded the traps (well, almost!), killed the half naked army of darkness, and escaped the pyramid! And before we can enjoy the view for long a strange light comes for us, taking us back to the museum. Before us, a closed curtain. The waxworks we just solved is no longer accesible.

wax133.jpg

wax134.jpg

As soon as we take a step, however, we are face to face with our Uncle's ugly and creepy servant. He congratulates us for our victory againt the evil twin and then explains to us his orders were to make sure we did not lose any time in going to the next one. Seeing we aren't moving, then, he approaches us...

wax135.jpg

wax137.jpg

O.O!!! Desu Slap!

desuslap.gif

Bald perv. :/

In any case, he does shove us to the closest corner. If we don't move fast enough, he will keep doing that until we are near an opened waxworks, moment in which the imbecil will shove us inside instead. So instead we run, leaving slowpoke baldie behind and finding our way to the graveyward waxworks...

wax138.jpg

And this is where this update will end. Next time we meet our heroine will possess the body of another long dead relative and use it to go Sister of Battle against a most evil necromancer, his vampire henchman, and the legions upon legions of rotting undead at their service. That will be mostly hack and slash, so a single update will do.

'till next time, nya!

And have another dancing birdie because he's cute: :M

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Black Cat said:

:Reflexes of a chessplayer:

Oh, this LP is up and running again...

:Grabs popcorn:

:5 min later:

Good stuff as usual :thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom