Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[WIP] Thirst, a Dragon Age mod focused on C&C

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Would love to but can't test this ATM. Congrats on the demo though :)

I guess the flaw in this master plan is that it requires everyone who wants to play it to have Dragon Age installed.

I don't, but I do have the game and I will try it once (or if) you complete it

Marsal

Arcane
You are a fucking quality poster, but I'm not downloading Dragon Age again just to try this. This is what you get for choosing to mod a Bioware game (I just hope you're not trying to get a job there). You should have known better :salute:

Untermensch

Augur
I do think that origins is an above average game, but I don't have a copy, nor do I have the time. Need to fucking study....

racofer

Thread Incliner
I might give this a try in like a month or so, when I (probably) will have some free time to do so.

Don't give up just yet, sea . Once this shit gets known and widespread among the interwebs, every Codexer will feel obligated to acquire DA:O and play your mod, despite their claims of never ever touching a BiowarEA title.

Kaol

Educated
I think people could be abit more polite. I would try it if i had the time.

Urist McLurker

Learned
I'm sure I have a copy of DA:O somewhere around here, once I get my sound working I'll install it and try the mod out.
Unless the sound isn't all that important for testing it out, in which case I'll do it as soon as possible.

I'm sure I'll make a very..uhm, bad tester though but hey, I've got a lot of free time coming up, so I'll give it a go.

Urist McLurker

Learned
"This file is no longer available.
The file you are trying to access is no longer available for download.
Please contact the owner if you have any questions."
I'm assuming that's because
sea said:
(if it's not live yet, give it a bit - my poor connection isn't so fast at uploading)
?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Try this:

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D8650324_65259700_95596

I didn't think SugarSync links expired, maybe they do. I plan to make a few revisions and add a definite "demo cutoff" point before putting it somewhere more permanent. This is just for brofisting purposes (or for telling me it's shit (more likely)).

Urist McLurker

Learned
TL;DR: It's good and I enjoyed it more than the whole of DA:O.

In no order the things I've noted while playing(bad things first, good things afterwards)(played for about 2-3 hours?)
Where you click to enter the sewer entrance feels a bit off, I clicked naturally on the bars, around the bars, but the place to click is slightly infront of the sewer entrance and it took me a minute to find the right place, it just felt a bit off.

When doing Paid Protection(If I recall the name correctly), it was weird that you could just sell stuff to the npc in order to gain the money needed to pay it for them. Sort of like 'Well I don't have the money to pay, please pay it for me.. But I'll pay you twice as much as I need for the protection money and save my life in order to buy your random crap'(badly paraphrased of course)

This is a really weird one and I've got no idea how I noticed it, or if it's actually correct, so bare with me; I'm not so good with these things.
mt3hz.png

Okay, so on the map(which I love btw it looks awesome), there's the bridge under the slums, the south of the map.
0E15t.jpg

According to the compass (which has a very tiny n for north itself, but I've ms'painted it in clearer) the river, and therefore the bridge is towards the east, not the south. So obs the map isn't done according to nesw. However, because we know the bridge is to the east, the exit out of the southern end of the slums must be to the west, as can be seen on the compass. So the map must be pointing towards the west.
GOmQR.jpg

So the exit of the slums is to the west, but when you go to and leave from the slums, you enter and exit through the right of the map, which is the north, even though the exit is to the west.
However.
kZA8j.jpg

There is an entrance/exit to/from the northern side of the slums. But when you travel to the slums, you always start off on the south side, not the north.
Which, to me, seems to suggest that you go into the slums via the northern entrance(according to the map), walk all the way through the slums to the southern entrance/exit, and then from there do w/e it is you're at the slums to do.
Did that make any sense? I'm not sure.
If you moved it so that the travel point(or whatever it's called) makes it so that you arrive in the slums by the northern entrance, it would make more sense?

Also it says temple district on the map there, whereas it should technically be the market. And I'm also confused by the fact that there's two bridges.
KKUq3.jpg

You can see the second one further north.
According to the map
mt3hz.png

There's only one bridge, so the bridge on the map might be the one on the north, and the southern one is just out of shot of the map or something.
But if that's the case, it makes even less sense why you 'appear' on the southern side of the slums, 'cause the blood trial ends even norther than the northern bridge.

And if it's the southern bridge, why can't you see the north bridge on the map?
The map could be, like, outdated, but missing a bridge on your map I would think is a pretty big deal.

Another thing, while on the subject of the slums and map, whenever you go to and from the admin area of the city to get to somewhere else in the city
kSOXR.jpg

You pass right by, as in, directly next to, the slums. And from what I can see on the map.
That really struck me as weird.
HemeR.jpg

(excuse the extremely bad mspaint edit, I didn't know how to communicate any of this without visual aids) You can see here what I mean by that the pathways - par from that very short alleyway that just screams friendly - to and from the government/admin area, unless you go through the temple area, and then wrap around to the council area.
It's like, if an official of like the king, or the king, or something, I don't know, came to the city, to get to the council area, it comes across like he's going to have to walk through or past the slums; isn't that sending the wrong message? I'm sure this isn't that important and a non-issue, but it just struck me as weird.

Christ I am so sorry about harping on about the map for so long. It's really such a minor issue, I just didn't know how to explain it properly.

Carson in the jail was clipping through his cell bars when I was bringing the key to free him.

A random dog in the market district didn't have any clipping, which did mean I could place my dwarf in such a stance to appear as if I had dog cavalry.

I've experienced one crash, which was right at the start as I opened my inventory for the first time. I've got no idea what caused it, since when I reloaded the game I had no difficulty with opening the inventory at the same area.
That's about all I've noticed - not counting things you've already listed - when it comes to errors/bugs/general complaints.
Onwards to notable things I liked.
I noticed a couple of moments where it felt like c&c would matter(which I'm going to fix out when I play through it again), and it did feel like a lot of my choices had consequences(maybe about half?), enough to make me feel like every choice I made did something, even if it appeared not to at all; this made me pause a lot before deciding a which option to pick, whereas normally I would have not paid much attention to whatever 'choice' the dialogue was giving me. Here it felt like it could matter, even if it appeared it wouldn't have.
An example of this is the two drunken mercs in the tavern that had what appeared to be three or four ways to deal with them, the choice I picked was a test of strength(which seemed to have two checks of some kind) that I won, I came across them later in my playthrough, and not only were they still alive(I'm assuming attempting to kill them would have ended up with them just dying), but I had gained their respect: That seemed to imply that I could have done the peaceful option, but not have gained their respect. Whether or not that's true, I'm going to have to find out, but that's my point; even a choice that didn't seem all that important to me at the time has got me wondering about it, and given me a desire to actually find out what would happen if I did something differently.

It really did feel like it was focused on the C&C.

The dialogue on the whole seems more decent then the actual DA:O campaign(from what I remember anyway).

I felt general distrust towards my party, not dislike, just distrust. Even though the reasons to distrust them were mostly subtle at best, whether or not this paranoia about them is justified I don't know, but it felt much nicer than painfully clear 'I'm-evil-don't-trust-me' or 'I've-just-met-you-so-we're-bffs' kinds of party members. They weren't there 'cause of any sense of friendship outta no where, but it felt like they were there because it simply suited them for reasons that might or might not be harmful to you. I might be talking out of my ass though.
While I've never been a fan of settings in cities, towns, in one location, I liked the look of the city, felt kinda real and beautiful without that feeling of forcing it to appear real.

I liked how it seemed like my race was important, though I was slightly worried that it was being noted too much, this might have been because of the size of the mod thus far though. I really did like when it was used to flatter me to try and get me to do something.
Likewise with my gender.

Conclusion:
The main overwhelming problem I had with this mod was, well, I don't like DA:O much. It's like playing mods for oblivion or something, end of the day, it's still oblivion no matter how many good mods there are.

I'll try and get as far as I can with this female dwarf warrior, then try like, a human male mage.
I'm sorry about the long post. Basically I felt it was a good and very clear :incline: over DA:O, even with the mod in this limited form, but it still felt like polishing a turd to me.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
sea, does the engine/game draw that map directly ingame, or does it use some pre-generated image? If it is the latter, send them over to me, I (or others too) could make it look a bit smoother, there are quite a few rough edges.

As for your mod, I would really like to try it out, but I dont have a copy of DA:O here right now. :( I wanted to buy the PC version anyway, it wasn't that much of a bad game and I haven't tried out the expansion yet. So, next week I can give some feedback! :)

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Thanks so much for your detailed feedback!

Where you click to enter the sewer entrance feels a bit off, I clicked naturally on the bars, around the bars, but the place to click is slightly infront of the sewer entrance and it took me a minute to find the right place, it just felt a bit off.
Working on it. I could make the bars themselves interactive (right now it's just static geometry with an invisible box in front that you click on), but that would require I re-render the lightmaps, make changes to the map and mess with files to include interactive bars... plus due to the way the conversation system works it can lead to all sorts of nasty issues like the bars moving around during/after dialogue.

So in short - hold down Tab, it highlights interactive things. Otherwise I'll try to weak the placement a bit.

When doing Paid Protection(If I recall the name correctly), it was weird that you could just sell stuff to the npc in order to gain the money needed to pay it for them. Sort of like 'Well I don't have the money to pay, please pay it for me.. But I'll pay you twice as much as I need for the protection money and save my life in order to buy your random crap'(badly paraphrased of course)
Gameplay and story segregation. Maybe I'll remove her store? Unfortunately there's no way to limit merchants' gold supply. But yeah, I get it.

(map stuff)
To be honest the map isn't meant to resemble the layout of the city as I picture it "in my head" at all - I actually just took a standard highway map and edited it in Photoshop. Yeah, I'm lazy, but I don't have crazy graphic arts skills like Surf Solar here and it was "close enough" for me. At this point I don't know if I can change it.

Carson in the jail was clipping through his cell bars when I was bringing the key to free him.
Weird, I'll look into it. As I said sometimes conversation stages can move people around weirdly, might be that. I never noticed that bug when I played though.

A random dog in the market district didn't have any clipping, which did mean I could place my dwarf in such a stance to appear as if I had dog cavalry.
Bahaha. Unfortunately I don't know if I can fix that, probably just related to the way the creature is set up by default, i.e. the same dog probably does the same thing in the base game. Still, it's possible I gave the dog a non-functional animation (pretty sure there's a "dog asleep" one but it might be broken) so I'll look into that and see if the problem goes away.

I've experienced one crash, which was right at the start as I opened my inventory for the first time. I've got no idea what caused it, since when I reloaded the game I had no difficulty with opening the inventory at the same area.
No idea. That's probably the game engine at fault, sorry you had an issue though. Dragon Age is not 100% stable even as of the latest patch, although usually problems only show up after playing for several hours.

I noticed a couple of moments where it felt like c&c would matter(which I'm going to fix out when I play through it again), and it did feel like a lot of my choices had consequences(maybe about half?), enough to make me feel like every choice I made did something, even if it appeared not to at all; this made me pause a lot before deciding a which option to pick, whereas normally I would have not paid much attention to whatever 'choice' the dialogue was giving me. Here it felt like it could matter, even if it appeared it wouldn't have.
An example of this is the two drunken mercs in the tavern that had what appeared to be three or four ways to deal with them, the choice I picked was a test of strength(which seemed to have two checks of some kind) that I won, I came across them later in my playthrough, and not only were they still alive(I'm assuming attempting to kill them would have ended up with them just dying), but I had gained their respect: That seemed to imply that I could have done the peaceful option, but not have gained their respect. Whether or not that's true, I'm going to have to find out, but that's my point; even a choice that didn't seem all that important to me at the time has got me wondering about it, and given me a desire to actually find out what would happen if I did something differently.
Thanks! Wasn't sure if my writing could sell it so well, guess it did.

I think there are a few outcomes -
1. The mercs don't show up at all (I can't remember if I left this in, it might be related to whether or not you told Samwise about the way into the city, or perhaps whether you broke the sewer bars or not (if you're a dwarf or elf you can get through due to your small size)).
2. The mercs attack you. This happens if you publicly humiliate them by beating them up, or if you lie to them about there being another tavern down the road.
3. The mercs give you some advice on what's going on. This happens if you win their respect by bribing them, buying them drinks, beat them at arm wrestling (yeah I know, I can't animate that stuff, fade to black is my friend!) etc.

The dialogue on the whole seems more decent then the actual DA:O campaign(from what I remember anyway).
Thanks! A lot of it needs polishing up and revision, and unfortunately voice acting is not really something that I can do - I'm not a good fiction writer so I'm glad it comes off okay.

I felt general distrust towards my party, not dislike, just distrust. Even though the reasons to distrust them were mostly subtle at best, whether or not this paranoia about them is justified I don't know, but it felt much nicer than painfully clear 'I'm-evil-don't-trust-me' or 'I've-just-met-you-so-we're-bffs' kinds of party members. They weren't there 'cause of any sense of friendship outta no where, but it felt like they were there because it simply suited them for reasons that might or might not be harmful to you. I might be talking out of my ass though.
Any specific examples? I might work a bit more on that angle if you like that. The running theme of the mod is basically about capitalism - no half-baked philosophy, but the city itself is largely built on free enterprise and I wanted to give it a feel that everyone's ultimately out for themselves in the end.

I liked how it seemed like my race was important, though I was slightly worried that it was being noted too much, this might have been because of the size of the mod thus far though. I really did like when it was used to flatter me to try and get me to do something.
I'm adding more of this stuff as it goes, right now I'm trying to focus on getting the actual story arc done, then I'll put in more "flavour" stuff like this.

Like I said, thanks a lot for your feedback.

Actually, to be honest that is one thing about modding for Dragon Age - it's very hard to do things outside the box. Stealth is difficult if not impossible to implement (tried it in one or two dungeons but I mostly have to add a lot of special triggers etc. to get it working), you can't kill non-hostile NPCs (good for story reasons but reduces quest options and I have to make all combat initiate in dialogue), that sort of thing. On the other hand at least it supports features like pickpocketing, which I actually use to much greater effect than in the main game.

And, of course, the visuals etc. kind of always remind me of the base game, which isn't really a good thing (although I maintain the combat and some parts of it are still well done).

There are a couple big changes I'm in the process of making.
  1. City guard and criminal questlines will become mutually exclusive after a point, i.e. you can do one or two with each but afterwards the other won't trust you. Depending on how persuasive you are you might be able to reduce that cutoff point, but it will still happen eventually.
  2. Crimson Talons investigation will be redone or at least restructured, though the basic idea will stay the same - (if you admit to being with the city guard, you actually get a very different response and you have to break Theron down and find holes in his story).
  3. Bloody Competition quest will probably tie into the city guard questline instead of being a side quest.
sea, does the engine/game draw that map directly ingame, or does it use some pre-generated image? If it is the latter, send them over to me, I (or others too) could make it look a bit smoother, there are quite a few rough edges.
Thanks a lot for your help. The minimaps are done by generating them in-engine and then editing in Photoshop (adding paper texture, tracing over them etc.), and the city map was done based on a real map image I found.

The city map is just a PSD. Here you are:

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D8650324_65259700_93578

As for your mod, I would really like to try it out, but I dont have a copy of DA:O here right now. :( I wanted to buy the PC version anyway, it wasn't that much of a bad game and I haven't tried out the expansion yet. So, next week I can give some feedback! :)
I won't get mad if you pirate the game, it's okay. :p But thanks, I appreciate it. I *might* have an updated version with some of the changes listed above by then.[/quote]

Urist McLurker

Learned
Happy to help, I'll still be playing it at least once more and let you know how it goes, when I'll get a proper chance to I'm not sure.

About the quest with the merchant npc, could you remove the choice to buy/sell with her after saying you'll help her or something?

That wouldn't be perfect, but it would stop people on their first playthrough from doing something like that, maybe.

I don't know if it's possible, modding isn't my thing.

Oh, I took screenshots of all the things I mentioned, in case you wanted them, let me know. Like the Carson clipping for example.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
I installed the demo to give it a try. I didn't play a lot and the reason is that I'm fed up with Tolkien-style fantasy. So, it will be brief.
The city looks beautiful and the beginning of the game reminded me of 'The Witcher'. Realizing some money were stolen when exiting a district, was a nice touch. The dialogues are well-written and I liked the skill-based options I had. It would've been better if there were more C&C(at least in the beginning) but that's just me. As long as you follow the bioware school(minus romance), it will give you enough points for the industry.

A slight problem I encountered. When talking to Mildrar, I pressed only the quest specific dialogue options. After the first part of the quest was completed, I decided to press one of the non-quest dialogue options. The whole dialogue concerning the quest he had given me, was reset. Nothing else was affected, I just had to press all the same dialogues again, as if I hadn't done the first part of the mission.

That's it, not much as I said. I wish you the best. :brodex:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Thanks for your feedback, appreciate it. Yeah, I'm sticking to the BioWare model but that's mostly because it's easiest for me to build a story with... in another time I could have done something much more free-roaming or even a dungeon crawler but that's really not what I had in mind.

Regarding C&C, there is definitely some, but most of it only appears once you start doing quests in the city itself. The "prologue" is just that, setup for the main portion of the game. There are still a few things that carry over, like whether you deal with the mercenaries in the outskirts tavern or if you tell Samwise about a way into the city (multiple quests are influenced by this). I'm planning on adding more twists in by having the different questlines actually interact with one another depending on what order you do things in or what side-quests you complete. Understand that the consequence side is the last thing to get put in because I need to have a defined critical path first.

I'll look into that dialogue issue, sounds like a plot flag wasn't set properly, or perhaps you simply hit the content cutoff point.

And fuck no, there's no romances.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Update: I've redone the first two City Guard quests. The progression through the story is a bit different as a result. Siding with the City Guard now makes it impossible to pursue the criminal quests. Most of the dialogue, scripting etc. has been completely redone for these.

I've also added a few job board quests. These resemble the ones in the base game, in that they're basically simple short fetch/kill/etc. quests, but they all have 2-3 options in how they're resolved and will have some small effects on later quests. Some of these are influenced by previous actions, i.e. if you help a criminal escape a prison later you'll be able to get a quest to recapture him, and as a result a couple are mutually exclusive. I haven't decided on how many of these are going to be included but I'm thinking about 5-10 at most, as long as I can keep them somewhat interesting.

There are two reasons I included these - because I had some areas that I needed to use for something but couldn't fit in with other quests, and because making two main quest lines mutually exclusive meant that players will need more XP to handle the later combat areas, as well as dialogue checks.

Last, a bunch of miscellaneous bug fixes, tweaks etc. I should have an updated version on the Nexus within a week. That one will be the "official" demo, for what that's worth.

Shadenuat

Arcane
You'll probably need to change file sharer, I managed to download 27 MBs first time and 35 afterwards, before connection got lost, at wunderbar 75 KB/s. Or maybe I am doing something wrong. Download Master does't work for that either..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom