Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WIP : TB Combat via Dialogue and Variables in NWN2...

Turn-based Combat in NWN2 via Conversations, Scripting, and Variables? Is this awesome?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arcanoix

Scholar
I'm unsure how to go about this, but I'll put it this way - since NWN:SoU came out I've been working on a concept for the game concerning Turn-based combat similar to the game Final Fantasy X. I'd like to release more information, but I highly doubt the Codex approves. Let's make a poll to find out?

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
You should tell us more about FFX combat system. What makes it so different from FF1 to 9? I'm not sure I see the relationship with SoU.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
Put it this way, if you have already begun working on this, and its something you are motivated to do, as in you have a vision with clear goals in mind, then make this mod. I'm sure many people would not mind,maybe even enjoy seeing how this would play out in NWN. Good or bad, at least we would know what theoptions are.

And if it does work out, community members would make mods using the system.

Too many people are overly concerned whether or not others will like their idea(s). If you like the concepts, and want to work on the project, isn't that enough reason to get started? Its much better to put effort into something you're going to enjoy, rather than into something you're lukewarm about. Odds are, the final product will reflect how you really feel about it.

Besides, with such a vague description, for an outside observer, its pretty difficult to come up with any sort of informed decision. Personally, I have absolutely no knowledge of FFX. I've played some of the earlier ones, but after playing some of VII and VIII, I can barely look at the newer ones. Based on what I know about Final Fantasy, I don't really see any connection between their combat system and a text-based combat one.

Arcanoix

Scholar
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Using the NWN2 engine for anything doesn't sound awesome.

Considering SecuROM just fucked me in the ass, I'll agree with this. Accidentally clicked on the wrong nwn2main.exe file and then it pops up saying, "blahblahblah all your keys matched but we still reverted you to a custom v1.00 of the game and locked you out of all of your shit". Pretty much. I'm reinstalling tonight. My work was saved, thankfully.

Ogg said:
You should tell us more about FFX combat system. What makes it so different from FF1 to 9?

In FFX, small portraits would appear on the right-hand side of the screen showing whose turn was coming up next. This may have been a "hand-holding" thing, but - specifically it gave me ideas in terms of strategies, planning, etc. It makes players PAY ATTENTION to the UI amidst the fast-paced combat. Also - in some FF's if you didn't select your attack fast enough, your turn was skipped. While I plan to maintain the "time-limit" on each round of play, I want to make it so players turns aren't necessarily skipped but rather the NPC's will attack them and if they survive the attack, then it'll still be that players/henchmans turn.

Ogg said:
I'm not sure I see the relationship with SoU.

SoU introduced more scripting features, after NWN2 came out and more-or-less after SoZ came out, I think this concept is fully possible with how many scripting commands we have to work with.

Anyways - if this concept proves to be something the community wants, I'll gladly open another topic recruiting anyone from here who would like to join my team. I think we could do it. I have worked with several mods - some HoF - some non-NWN. I worked with Berra on Survival Horror 1 translating the entire modules conversations into proper English, (under the name Ghallant) worked on Resident Medieval (NWN1, dropped it when I helped test cDoom for the Doom 3 engine with Sonic Clang), worked on my own NWN2 project (Blood Lust) and continue to work on it when I have time, which is why I'm working on this system - because I hate how real-time combat is done in NWN2. I despise it, even.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom