Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Competition Win a Royal Edition copy of Pillars of Eternity!

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Dorateen

Arcane
A young Josh, Tim and MCA venture out to the hovel of the Dungeon Master, David Gaider for a session of PnP role-playing.

Upon reaching the doorstep, the lavender robed Gaider greets the trio. "Hold, gentlemen. This tale has a fixed female protagonist, a Main Character so that a more cohesive narrative can be weaved. You can stay Josh, but your friends will have to depart."

Tim and MCA exchange incredulous looks. However, ever forthright with incubating dreams of Icewind Dale 2 in his head, Josh protests.

"Now wait just a minute. This is a party based adventure. And we all have our own characters carefully constructed, stats rolled up, prepared to band together for this epic challenge..."

Stamping his foot in a near temper tantrum, Gaider the DM snarls at Tim and MCA. "Depart, I said!"

And depart they did.

"Don't worry," Gaider then tells Josh, leading him into the house with a gentle hand on his arm. "I will provide the companions for the rest of the party, to join your central protagonist on this merry escapade."

"This blows," Josh thinks to himself. "When I get to design an RPG, the players not the DM will determine the build and composition of the party."

Years later...

("Well, at least we have an Adventurer's Hall.")

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane
Tags: Pillars of Eternity; Short Story Competition

We have one, count it, one Royal Edition copy of Pillars of Eternity to give away! This is just like a regular full edition of Pillars of Eternity except it includes the following:

Digital Novella by Chris Avellone: A digital novella that focus on the backstory of some of the more interesting characters that players may encounter over the course of their travels in Pillars of Eternity.

Collector’s Book PDF: Digital version of the book that is being published by Dark Horse. It contains lots of information and art on the setting, story, and creatures of Pillars of Eternity. 112 pages.

Hi-res Concept Art pieces: High resolution pieces of our concept art. Contains everything from concepts of areas and creatures to props and mood pieces.

Digital Strategy Guide: Digital version of our strategy guide from Prima penned by the same writer of the Fallout: New Vegas guide. Contains all the information players will need to master Pillars of Eternity and reveal all of the content available.

Digital Original Soundtrack: This soundtrack contains many of the game's music tracks performed by a live orchestra. Contains at least 17 tracks in MP3 and FLAC formats.

Digital Campaign Almanac: The Campaign Almanac contains everything related to the lore, history, and world of Eora as originally told by Hylsman Horag and revised by the Hand Occult. The 35 page almanac has commentary provided by a variety of authors and is an engrossing read for anyone keen to delve deeper into the world of the Pillars of Eternity.

Making of Documentary: A video documentary of the entire Pillars of Eternity development process - from beginning to end. Includes commentary from the developers and behind the scenes footage of game shows and events.

Digital Hi-res Game Map: A high resolution map of Eora's Eastern Reach. Details include locations that players will be traveling to and locations that they may be seen in future Pillars of Eternity products.

Wallpapers: High resolution and multi-monitor wallpapers of cool concept art and in-game artwork.

Ringtones: Short clips of sounds and music from Pillars of Eternity. Perfect as mobile ringtones.​

... and of course it comes with the actual game itself. If you want this to be all yours, all you have to do is:

Write a piece of speculative fiction dramatizing the fateful AD&D session that put J.E. Sawyer on the path to ultimate balance.

Post your entry in the comments for this news item. Our esteemed panel of judges (the staff) will then pick a winner.

Competition closes 31st March. So get your entries in. We will accept multiple entries per person. Judges' decision will be final. The prize will be delivered in the form of a digital Steam key.

No.

Crichton

Prophet
This prize is pretty tempting but I refuse to participate until the staff admits that they jobbed me on the previous writing competition I entered ("Win a Wasteland 1 Key"). (I don't need the key, I got one when I bought Wasteland 2, I just want the admission.)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

Stokowski

Arcane
Write a piece of speculative fiction dramatizing the fateful AD&D session that put J.E. Sawyer on the path to ultimate balance.

All fiction is speculative. That's what makes it fictitious.

headbang_zps2ac29901.gif

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

Sawyer rolls a 15 and he then proceeds to write a 3 over it. Now nothing can be fun/overpowered when the D20 is modulo 6. Then a ghost ate it.

EDIT: Now it is speculative according to the Wikipedia article.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I didn't win the first time, so why bother trying so hard like that loser who quit at the 13th loss?
I rather quit after the first. I'm more lethal than street that way.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I just realized that perhaps some of you guys might not fully get the jokes in my story. And how they are based in reality.
So as an addition, here is what the Reverend preached in video format:

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

(I watched that last one in full some years ago. It was hilarious. It went for much longer with all the toys shown and their satanic symbolism "exposed" and stuff. But I can't find the full clip anymore. Why do you forget, Internet?)

Unwanted
i might just "contribute" to this..... ha! will be difficult to type it oiut with what "happened" to my arm ... but i`m definitely interested in this game !

n504e0f0be9b76_large.jpg
He's taking his sweet time over there...hey Chris, what is that horned godzilla thing I saw on the manual earlier?

timthumb.php
Hm? Oh, the Tarrasque. Yeah, it looks sort of cool, I guess. It gives me an idea for a new monster. Maybe smaller, though. What about it?

n504e0f0be9b76_large.jpg
When do we get to fight one? I think it should be a good stress test of my character's abilities.

timthumb.php
Heh, not soon. We're still having trouble with those sickly wolves attacking the village. You need a Wish or a Miracle to kill it, anyway.

n504e0f0be9b76_large.jpg
Wish or Miracle? Sounds important. What's that?

timthumb.php
9th level arcane and divine spells. I don't think your fighter/mage/thief/cleric/bard will be seeing those for a while.

n504e0f0be9b76_large.jpg
*flipping through book* A spell that lets you do anything you like? What the shit? What do warriors get?

timthumb.php
Another bonus feat. Trample, Improved Bull Rush, Weapon Focus, that sort of stuff.

n504e0f0be9b76_large.jpg
...I feel bile coming back up my throat. I'm leaving.

timthumb.php
Huh? Wait, I can't handle those monsters alone! Come back!

a81ca4ab87472559.320.vk.jpg
Okay, I'm back. You guys will probably want to avoid that bathroom for a while. What did I miss? Hey, where's Josh?

timthumb.php
He had to leave but was kind enough to wait until all the wolves who surprised us were slain. We should not talk of them again, it would be a waste of time.

Weasel
Josh Sawyer in:

Dawn_ of Tyranny

The wizened figured rose before them, dark robes twisted over a slender frame. The air pulsed with a hideous, evil power, the calm before a terrible lightning storm.

"You dare enter the lair of Scabrous, dark lord of the fallen realm?" it cackled, skull-like features contorted into a cruel leer. "You, a pitiful collection of mortals barely weaned from your mothers' diseased teats?"

"We fear you not!" shouted Dorateen, hefting his holy axe as he strode forward. "In the name of Helm I shall banish you from this plane forever!"

Behind him, Rasmus notched an arrow to his bow, hands shaking from the overwhelming pain of the trap which impaled his legs. Allegina began her incantation, long blonde hair waving with her sinuous movements, like a wash of yellow light over darker roots which...

"Sorry, have to interrupt again," muttered Derek. "Do we really have to talk about the hair all the goddam time? I know it was a big deal during character creation, but come on! We're fighting for a our lives in a dungeon and... it's bad enough that she's called Allegina anyway."

"Roleplaying is about more than just killing goblins," sniffed Alison. "And my character is far more than a bunch of stats to me, I need to identify with her for my immersion. Why can't she cast spells while looking great too? Besides, you're one to talk with a Dwarf named Dorateen who's a friggen paladin. A paladin! Everyone knows dwarves are for comic relief or dirty jobs like mining or smithing or pig-tending."

"Pig-tending!" shouted Derek. "I'll have you know that Dwarves are noble and brave and.."

"Ok, that's enough," interrupted Vince, glaring across the rickety old table. Dust motes danced in the light of the single, grubby window as he spoke - the old storeroom was the best they could do without being discovered. It was a tough time for Dungeons and Dragons in those days, but anti-DnD sentiment was perhaps at its worst in nondescript American schools like this one.

"I've gone to a lot of trouble as DM here," continued Vince, "It takes time to create a genuine branching narrative. But you two keep interrupting my hand-crafted experience with these petty arguments!"

"I guess it doesn't matter anyway," muttered Derek. "We're pretty much done for after all those traps. You knew we didn't have a thief but you kept hitting us with them anyway, like you're sadistic or something."

"I advised you to play a thief," smirked Vince. "I don't create worlds where you can be a hero all the time and do everything. It's a harsh place where everyone is out to get you, and you think you can do without a rogue? Rasmus insisted on being a ranger and you a paladin - well, you made your choice and you take the consequences."

"Ok, ok," said Alison. "Why don't we find someone else to play the thief? It would be more fun with 4 characters anyway."

"But who?" replied Derek. "The jocks would beat the shit out of us as soon as we mention DnD. Everyone else thinks it's a satanic cult or something."

"There's always Josh," suggested Vince. "Unless you have any other suggestions.... Rasmus?"

They all stopped to look at Rasmus. He was staring at the bricks in the far wall, eyes darting back and forth.

"Rasmus!"

"Sorry guys," he replied, a sheepish grin on his face. "I just had to check if there were 256 bricks there, you know how much I love powers of 2."

"We've already got a sperglord," sighed Derek, "And now you want us to get Josh too?"

They found Josh in his usual haunt, alone in a corner of the back lawn. A small, bespectacled figure, his arms were covered in their usual motley array of pen drawings. Josh was known to spend the first hour of every school-day making strange illustrations on his arms and muttering in one of the languages he liked to make up.

"What's up Josh?" greeted Vince, a nervous smile on his face. The smile vanished when he saw what Josh was doing - playing with a pile of dismembered insects.

"Have you ever wondered," whispered Josh in a frail, reedy voice,"Why some things have 6 legs, or more, and others have to function with just two? Or why some get 4 wings and others none? Wouldn't it be great it we could share them out and make things more balanced?"

"Er, I guess," began Alison, losing her train of thought as Josh pulled another leg off a still-writhing centipede. "Ew!"

"And think, just fucking think!" added Josh, raising his cold, dead eyes to gaze over the group. "What about slugs? Is that build really viable? Imagine being a charismatic slug!"

They couldn't help trembling and taking an involuntary step backwards as he glared at them. There was true madness in those eyes.

Dorateen charged into the group of kobolds blocking the final exit from the dungeon. With a single swipe of his mighty axe he severed three of the ugly heads from their mangy bodies. Allegina skewered another with her silver throwing dagger. A hobbling Rasmus nailed a couple with accurate twangs of his bow.

Last of all, Josh shambled into battle, the hated padded armour restricting his every movement. He'd given up trying to hide in shadows in the noisy, bulky armour, even his trap finding had been badly affected. There was nothing else for it, time to get involved in melee. He finally reached the front line and blows immediately began to shred the pads from his skin. And then his skin from his bones.

"Good game guys," smiled Vince, packing the dice away. "Shame about your rogue Josh, but a level two party just doesn't have access to resurrection spells. If only you'd found that enchanted leather armour the seer mentioned."

Josh said nothing, staring at the wall as the others left, Derek and Alison now arm-in-arm. He began to draw on his arms again, harder than ever. Blood welled-up and mixed with the cheap ink.

The years had not been kind to Josh's features, although they had been truly generous to his bank balance. The figure reclining in the back of the Maybach had white hair and deep wrinkles, the faded tattoos twisted and distorted. His fortune had been founded on the first couple of Pillars of Eternity releases, when gullible buyers still expected a Baldur's Gate 3. But the real money had come from his early investment in Sword Coast Legends, 'never underestimate the stupidity of your audience' as his guiding motto emphasised.

The car pulled up in front of his Malibu estate and he strode inside, eager to unwind after another long day of dealmaking.

His favourite room had little in the way of furniture, despite its vast size. Just a dated personal computer, a couple of comfortable chairs and a display case with his collector editions of Oblivion and Skyrim proudly exhibited. But as he sank into a soft leather recliner he gazed at the best feature of the room, a series of large framed photos. A catalogue of revenge from a man who dedicated his life to it.

The first was of a hunched, beaten figure on a Toronto sidewalk, clipboard in hand as he begged passers-by for a minute of their time. It hadn't taken much to pay off a few sites to produce savage Age of Decadence reviews, although the Attack of the Fanboy version remained his favourite. AoD had sunk like a stone when finally released in 2018 and Vince was forced to return to his "marketing" career.

The next was of Tim Cain, hard at work in the Obsidian basement, where Josh had sent him after seizing control of Obsidian. To work on the World of Cavalry MMO. Never again would people favourably compare the works of Cain to those of Sawyer.

The third was a simple reproduction of a farewell screen from RPGCodex as the last hosting service terminated their account. It hadn't even taken much in the way of bribes or threats, turned out that having an army of SJW contacts was a powerful weapon in the fight against a misogynistic cesspit of a forum.

Josh pressed a button on his chair, summoning his evening drink. The butler minced into the room, a plump white man sporting a dreadlocked wig and an unusually short skirt.

"Thanks Roguey," mumbled Josh, taking a sip of the pure pomegranate juice.

He turned to look at the final image on the opposite wall. A picture from the player manual for DnD 7th edition, including all the playable races. There was not a dwarf to be seen.

Last edited:

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There was this one fan fiction about Grunker, how he was walking on the pavement trying to avoid the lines between the tiles.. but I can't remember where of who wrote it.. it was quite good.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Josh Sawyer in:

Dawn_ of Tyranny

Showing a keen eye for the visual economics of modern fiction, Zorba the Hutt delivers a Lost-style narrative packed with perspective changes, a flashforward, and a colourful cast of quirky but charming supporting characters.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Mr Giggles

Literate
I want to put effort into a story but I fear that my post will just never make it through...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom