Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will KotOR 2 TSL RP be officially reviewed?

Texas Red

Whiner
When the Sith Lords Restoration Project will be finally released(Im thinking quite soon), will there be a new review?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
No. There shouldn't be. KOTOR2 was released. The developer (and publisher) are done with it, and have moved. Unless a policy change has occured where Codex 'official' reviews are not just for offcial/professional products (including independent games) to now include user mods/fixes.

So...when are we getting a Codex review of NWN mods that improve the game? Hu8h, huh, huh?

You, sir, are an idiot, and such a KOTOR2 fanboy that you are so MAD that KOTOR2 got a subpar review from the Codex; you want the (non existent) score to be improved.

R00fles!

Fez

Erudite
Volourn's right, the reviews can't be continuously updated for every mod. There's nothing stopping anyone from posting a review of a mod on the forum instead though and telling us how things go with it.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
No. I suspect we'll have a review of the official game somewhere along the road - as soon as possible - but these kinds of modifications shouldn't really be factored into it. It would be like reviewing Temple of Elemental Evil with the Circle of Eight fixes and add-ons.

Maybe we could do a post-review article highlighting the changes, but that's probably a stretch.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Role-Player said:
No. I suspect we'll have a review of the official game somewhere along the road - as soon as possible - but these kinds of modifications shouldn't really be factored into it. It would be like reviewing Temple of Elemental Evil with the Circle of Eight fixes and add-ons.

Maybe we could do a post-review article highlighting the changes, but that's probably a stretch.

Well, technically TSLRP is not a "mod" but a "unsupported patch" - which is totally different to Co8 5.0.

TSLR does NOT add anything to the game that wasn't in there for a start. Best proof is that parts of TSLRP are no longer needed as the "hi-res-fix" and the "stereo-hq-music" fix were officially released by Obsidian in the meantime.

So, you definitly should take TSRP into account, as noone would judge e.g. GOTHIC 3 by the state in came "outta teh box" (without any patches).

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Sir_Brennus said:
Well, technically TSLRP is not a "mod" but a "unsupported patch" - which is totally different to Co8 5.0.

Neither is officially supported by their respective publishers.

TSLR does NOT add anything to the game that wasn't in there for a start. Best proof is that parts of TSLRP are no longer needed as the "hi-res-fix" and the "stereo-hq-music" fix were officially released by Obsidian in the meantime.

I mentioned unsupported and unofficial patches and modifications, not modifications exclusively. Circle of Eight makes fixes and additions, the Restoration Project (supposedly) is only a patch. Either of them are unsupported and not official in any way. Does this mean they shouldn't be considered? No, but it means that we'd be judging a game which may or may not correspond to the the end user's experience, and that we'd be reviewing two separate bodies of work - the developers and the communities' work. We reviewed Temple of Elemental Evil and Vampire: Bloodlines as they were released unto the public, and that's how it should remain. The efforts of Circle of Eight and the Bloodlines community are appreciated, but we're reviewing games made by the developers - not their communities.

So, you definitly should take TSRP into account, as noone would judge e.g. GOTHIC 3 by the state in came "outta teh box" (without any patches).

You haven't read many mainstream Gothic 3 reviews, have you?

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Role-Player said:
Sir_Brennus said:

Neither is officially supported by their respective publishers.

I mentioned unsupported and unofficial patches and modifications, not modifications exclusively. Circle of Eight makes fixes and additions, the Restoration Project (supposedly) is only a patch. Either of them are unsupported and not official in any way. Does this mean they shouldn't be considered? No, but it means that we'd be judging a game which may or may not correspond to the the end user's experience, and that we'd be reviewing two separate bodies of work - the developers and the communities' work. We reviewed Temple of Elemental Evil and Vampire: Bloodlines as they were released unto the public, and that's how it should remain. The efforts of Circle of Eight and the Bloodlines community are appreciated, but we're reviewing games made by the developers - not their communities.

You haven't read many mainstream Gothic 3 reviews, have you?

There is a parallel between ToEE/VtMB and KotOR2 in so far as in all cases the publisher did not finance further support of the game by the developers.

The difference is in the (important) details: While ToEE and VtMB were published flawed and buggy but nonetheless complete, KotOR2 was not released in an unfinished state, but in a mutilated state. Obsidian had to cut the untested or not-bugfixed parts from the game to meet Lucasart's standard of polishness on the X-Box.

Final verdict:
- ToEE/VtMB = terrible buggy and unbalanced but all the content due to inablity of developer and publisher budget.
- KotOR2 = quite stable but mutilated content due to publisher restrictions.

I personally think that you treat Obsidian unjustly, considering the above circumstances.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"So, you definitly should take TSRP into account"

Give me a fuckin' break. Every game has cut content. KOTOR1 also had an entire planet cut. TSRP is NOT official content. It's cut content. It's not part of the game package that Obsidian/LA was sel.ling. It's a user added mod/patch. No different than any other game that has user added stuff in it.

Nobody with a soul and brains should use it when reviewing KOTOR2. It's just plain retarded.

"KotOR2 = quite stable but mutilated content due to publisher restrictions."

Every game has fuckin' publisher restrictions. Every game has fuckin' cuts.

"I personally think that you treat Obsidian unjustly, considering the above circumstances."

I personally KNOW that you are trying to give Obsidian/KOTOR2 an unjust advantage consideirng the above circumstances - most likely because you are an Obsidian Dicksucker.

Ladonna

Arcane
I.....Agree with Volourn......

I can't seem to find my Barrel 'O' Monkeys....where did I put them.....

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Volourn said:
"So, you definitly should take TSRP into account"

Give me a fuckin' break. Every game has cut content. KOTOR1 also had an entire planet cut. TSRP is NOT official content. It's cut content. It's not part of the game package that Obsidian/LA was sel.ling. It's a user added mod/patch. No different than any other game that has user added stuff in it.

Nobody with a soul and brains should use it when reviewing KOTOR2. It's just plain retarded.

"KotOR2 = quite stable but mutilated content due to publisher restrictions."

Every game has fuckin' publisher restrictions. Every game has fuckin' cuts.

"I personally think that you treat Obsidian unjustly, considering the above circumstances."

I personally KNOW that you are trying to give Obsidian/KOTOR2 an unjust advantage consideirng the above circumstances - most likely because you are an Obsidian Dicksucker.

Volly, keep your statements reasonable.

Move over to Team Gizka and ASK them if they add ADDITIONAL content. They will deny it. They don't lie. You do. Meh.

You won't review KotoR2 - so someone with brain will do.

You are a Bioware dicksucker. Obsidian is also a Bioware dicksucker. Aren't we a happy sucking family :twisted:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Move over to Team Gizka and ASK them if they add ADDITIONAL content. They will deny it. They don't lie. You do. Meh."

I dodn't care if they added 'new' stuff or not. Bottom line this is stuff that isn't in the released version of the game no more than the cut planet and the removed ending(s0 of KOTOR1 are. Yup, that's right. KOTOR1 (again) had a cut planet AND cut endings.

I say tough. If it's not in the game, it shouldn't be reviewed as part of the game. Period.

"You are a Bioware dicksucker."

That must explain why I never tell people they should review the NWN OC with user made content in mind, or even KOTOR1. Not to mention I find KOTOR1 mehish, haven't played two BIO games, and find SOU overrated. Or the fact I rate the NWN1 OC an AMAZING 75%ish

Seriously, dudette, you are an idiot.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Sir_Brennus said:
I personally think that you treat Obsidian unjustly, considering the above circumstances.

Every developer has to meet deadlines. Every game has content that does not make it to the game's final build. It's unfortunate what happened to KoTOR 2, no doubt. Just as it was with Anachronox, which was released at 50% of its planned total and had to be truncated to meet deadlines. Just as it was with several other games.

If we were to give Obsidian this kind of treatment, then we'd have to give it to every other developer who for some reason could not meet their deadlines. Unjustly? Unjust would be reviewing a game and scoring it a given value based on content that developers did not made available to gamers in the first place. As stated before, if we were to consider an unofficial patch we would be reviewing fan efforts, not Obsidian's own. For better or worse it's up to a developer to deal with these situations. I'm sure the cut content was just swell but it's not in the official game. If Obsidian managed to work on a restoration project themselves then it would be a different matter but this clearly isn't the case.

I can't in good conscience review a company's product based on efforts made by its fanbase. The developer is ultimately responsible for what it released unto the gaming public.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Volourn said:
"Move over to Team Gizka and ASK them if they add ADDITIONAL content. They will deny it. They don't lie. You do. Meh."

I dodn't care if they added 'new' stuff or not. Bottom line this is stuff that isn't in the released version of the game no more than the cut planet and the removed ending(s0 of KOTOR1 are. Yup, that's right. KOTOR1 (again) had a cut planet AND cut endings.

I say tough. If it's not in the game, it shouldn't be reviewed as part of the game. Period.

Hey, I don't friggin care if KotoR1 had trillions of endings or wtf else. It's because there was nothing in the code to "RECONSTRUCT" - so noone did - nothing reconstructed - no problem - nothing to discuss - you are dumb.

"You are a Bioware dicksucker."

That must explain why I never tell people they should review the NWN OC with user made content in mind, or even KOTOR1. Not to mention I find KOTOR1 mehish, haven't played two BIO games, and find SOU overrated. Or the fact I rate the NWN1 OC an AMAZING 75%ish

Seriously, dudette, you are an idiot.

You consider JADE EMPIRES a game in which role playing plays a role. Serious. You are making no sense. You can't even find your head, even when it sticks in your ass.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"TSLRP has no "user made content"."

Yes, it does. If the fanbs didn't touch/mod the game; that content would never be seen. Period.

"You consider JADE EMPIRES a game in which role playing plays a role."

Illogical attack mad eonly because you know you got DESTROYED in this topic so you use a red herring to hide your embarassment. That said, I consider JE an Action RPG because that is exactly what it is.

"Hey, I don't friggin care if KotoR1 had trillions of endings or wtf else. It's because there was nothing in the code to "RECONSTRUCT" - so noone did - nothing reconstructed - no problem - nothing to discuss - you are dumb."

No. Youa re a dumb, and so is Obsidian. 'Cause all you proved with this statement is that BIO is a better developer than Obsidian.

Moron.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom