Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Wildfire heads to stores

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Jagged Alliance 2: Wildfire; Strategy First

Per <A href="http://www.strategyfirst.com/press/DisplayArticle.asp?sLanguageCode=EN&iArticleID=2966">this press release</a>, the second expansion pack to <A href="http://www.jaggedalliance2.com">Jagged Alliance 2</a> is headed for stores. Here's a bit of the press release on <A href="http://www.strategyfirst.com/games/GameInfo.asp?sLanguageCode=EN&iGameID=110&sSection=Overview">JA2: Wildfire</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Arulco’s economy has completely collapsed and the country has now become a base for international drug cartels. Export of precious metals, which was the foundation of Arulco’s economy, is now just a cover for the extensive export of drugs into North America.
<br>
<br>
The North American Drug Agency has been unable to affect the export of drugs through regular diplomatic channels due to the cartels’ influence and has been forced to take more specific action to stop the drug trade. You are sent in as a leader of a small band of hired guns, your mission: the elimination of all key personnel of the Arulcan Government and, if possible, the complete extermination of the drug cartels. If successful, you will be hailed as heroes. If you fail, the Agency will deny all knowledge of the operation.
<br>
<br>
Wildfire includes modifications to all aspects of the original game. Changes were made to all weapons, landscapes, structures, missions, enemies and the AI. All elements within the game were altered to make it more realistic, bringing it closer to real-life.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I haven't seen a story this good since <A href="http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheSubstitute-1069981/reviews.php">The Substitute</a>, where a band of mercenaries decide to go clean up a local high school.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</a>

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I liked that movie actually. Was pretty decent. They made another one with Treat Williams in the lead role that wasn't half bad either. Not as good as the Tom Berenger one though. I seem to recall another movie along the same vein that starred Jim Belushi. Can't remember it too well though. Was in a convenience store yesterday and saw Substitute 3 in the cheap video rack. I had to laugh.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I liked the movie as well, but you have to admit that the story is pretty silly. Ernie Hudson did a great job as the evil principal too. You can't forget him in that movie.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Haven't seen it, but Tom Berenger looks like he's ready to do business on the cover.

Regarding Wildfire, I've mixed feelings. I do enjoy JA2 very much, but I still haven't beaten UC and I like it, despite the numerous spelling flaws and cheesy voices.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Ernie Hudson kicks ass as the warden in Oz. They made a crappy sequel to the movie starring Treat Williams if I recall correctly.

I'm sure some of the JA 2 affecionados will pick up this expansion, if for no other reason then to get their hands on the source code, but I find it hard to believe that a game as old as this one will sell.

Voss

Erudite
I find the idea of buying a mod as a professional product disturbing, particularly since most of the changes seem to be just a reflection of the modders personal preferences, not necessarily what would make a better game...

Ausir

Arcane
What else than professionally distributed mods are all game add-ons?

LCJr.

Erudite
I'd check out Urban Chaos(JA2), Rubicon(UB) and SOG 69(UB) instead. Rubicon in particular has some very nice hacking like adding working vehicles to UB.

This is just another mod of JA2 NOT an add on. So far most people have been disappointed with it. Same map and pretty much the same quest structure. All the weapons do more damage and the enemies are higher level with better equipment. Seems it's pretty much a rehash of Popov's and Arm's earlier mods Wildfire and Guerilla Warfare.

Now that a few people have bought the game it won't be long before the sourcecode is posted on the web if it isn't already.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Hey, you're forgetting about the new tactical implementations, LCJr. The highgrass is pretty sweet. I remember hating the fact that you couldn't trudge through the tall weeds in JA2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom