Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Why you should lub Knights of the Chalice

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
I have been working on it around three years and a half. First I worked on it during the week-ends then I switched to part time employment. In terms of money the cost was reasonably low BECAUSE I STOLE THE GRAPHICS.

Fixed.

I don't regret any of it because first, there's no other way to learn all the aspects of game making, and second, I enjoy doing game design and programming.

Doesn't regret stealing? Guess he doesn't mind if I pirate his game then.

A large campaign largely inspired by the classic Dungeons & Dragons modules Scourge of the Slave Lords and Against the Giants.

Three guesses as to what "inspired by" means.

Gwendo

Augur
Jaime Lannister said:
I have been working on it around three years and a half. First I worked on it during the week-ends then I switched to part time employment. In terms of money the cost was reasonably low BECAUSE I STOLE THE GRAPHICS.

Fixed.

I don't regret any of it because first, there's no other way to learn all the aspects of game making, and second, I enjoy doing game design and programming.

Doesn't regret stealing? Guess he doesn't mind if I pirate his game then.

A large campaign largely inspired by the classic Dungeons & Dragons modules Scourge of the Slave Lords and Against the Giants.

Three guesses as to what "inspired by" means.

Don't be an ass. It was already explained that those "borrowed" graphics were only temporary. The final product will have (already has) its own graphics.

BlueSalamander

Heroic Fantasy Games
Developer
Yes, I can confirm that the game already has its own graphics, music and sound. Many developers use placeholder art from other games during development, there's nothing new there.

Regarding the campaign, yes the game borrows a lot of ideas and rough design from these modules published around 1980, but none of their copyrighted material.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Jaime, do you realize that those D&D modules are from scrapped settings and editions?

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Wyrmlord said:
Jaime, do you realize that those D&D modules are from scrapped settings and editions?

Yeah. I give him credit, converting from 2E to 3.5E isn't the easiest thing in the world.

And when did it become common to advertise your game with stolen graphics? I don't think we've even seen the new graphics, just an interview and some forum posts.

Are the new graphics going to have the same vertigo-inducing Ultima angle, or a normal camera (at least a la Darksun if not traditional isometric)?

Gwendo

Augur
WanderingThrough2 said:
Are the new graphics going to have the same vertigo-inducing Ultima angle, or a normal camera (at least a la Darksun if not traditional isometric)?

You can see the latest screenshots in the website. :roll:

denizsi

Arcane
Too many modern cRPGs deal with combat as if it was a non-essential part of the game that should be over as quickly as possible.

He's gotta be kidding. Combat has been the backbone and the ultimate playing feature of literally any RPG released to date, with just a few exceptions. Especially the AAA blockbusters. Other than purposeless sandbox exploration, there's nothing but combat to these games.

The quests are just what you would expect from real people; if a village is invaded by lizardmen, you will be asked to push them back, and if slavers are thought to be hiding in an ancient stockade, you will be asked to investigate. In my opinion it is more important for a quest to be heroic than to be original.

Ok, the guy seems to have a hard on about heroic guys doing heroic deeds, but what happened to heroic guys having a dilemma, or heroic deeds turning out to be not so heroic after all? Maybe the lizardmen were only trying to take back their own land, which the humans took by force earlier and slaughtered lizardmen in doing so?

Yes, if this is financially viable I would like to make another game using the same engine with improvements such as the trip combat action, swallow whole monster ability, new terrain like deadly chasms, more character classes and races, etc

That's something I'd love to see in a game. A character being eaten right at the spot because you played like an idiot. None of the 2000s idiocy like 0 HP = unconscious or a huge carnivore with a bigger mouth than all your characters combined, making baby claw attacks on you. Might as well add to the list a giant stepping on characters to kill them.

edit:

Action in the video looks really nice. Too bad it's generic fantasy.

sheek

Arbiter
This game sounds really good. Was it covered by the Codex previously?

If he can get the combat right, group AI, combat bonuses and tactical variety as he says I would buy it just for that. Don't mind a linear story or no "evil" plotline, since evil usually means stupid.

And it looks like it will be finished.

He's gotta be kidding. Combat has been the backbone and the ultimate playing feature of literally any RPG released to date, with just a few exceptions. Especially the AAA blockbusters. Other than purposeless sandbox exploration, there's nothing but combat to these games.
No, he's right. Combat has been the backbone as FILLER, not as core content. Of course all RPGs without exception have combat, but hardly any focus on it. TOEE is the only modern one I can think of that focused on combat, which is what he said is his inspiration. That's why it was good, even if the quests, story etc were crap.

I see the story fags aren't happy... :roll:

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
I'd say it looks good, and I'm the typical C&C/story fag. I'm not planning on paying for it until I see his new graphics.

If he's using other people's work, then he's putting in less effort than most NWN modders. Why should I pay for his work and not theirs?

denizsi said:
Too many modern cRPGs deal with combat as if it was a non-essential part of the game that should be over as quickly as possible.

Exactly, but the point is that it's mindless combat. If the enemy is strong, you use buffs, and if the enemy is really strong, you heal. It's just there for show, it's not interesting or immersive. What he wants is situations like the "surrounded by gnolls outta nowhere and oh shit" like mentioned before. To make every fight a fight instead of "yay more XP click click click".

Redlands

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
Actually half the interview is Andhaira's original questions, we mostly just added some.

It's been a week, and I still can't believe Andhaira didn't ask enough questions.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
sheek said:
He won't release it without his own graphics, you know that.

I see your point and I raise you one Limbo of the Lost.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom