Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why Voice Acting Sucks

bhlaab

Erudite
Kaanyrvhok said:
The solution is shorter games. Give me a 20 hour game with Planescape's dialog. Save your voice acting money and make me yearn for DLC. Its a win win win.

Actually that wouldn't fix anything but thanks

DraQ

Arcane
Mikayel said:
Tony Jay was the elder god in the LoK games - and those games also had amazing voice over work. Not RPGs, obviously, but definitely worth a play.
Fuck, yes.

In fact, I only played PST in Polish, with different (very professional and no less awesome, TBH) VOs, so I only associate him with LoK.

yaster

Liturgist
DraQ said:
In fact, I only played PST in Polish, with different (very professional and no less awesome, TBH) VOs

Overrated, it's rather great for polish gaming vo standards, but not really in the original English vo league.

Here's a dose of polish and here's english + dak'kon for comparison. Polish alteregos of morte and dak'kon are rather cringe worthy imho. And mordom, jesus, what a crap - it's straightly taken from one of teens-targeting cheap polish tv series from late 90's.

Black

Arcane
DraQ said:
Mikayel said:
Tony Jay was the elder god in the LoK games - and those games also had amazing voice over work. Not RPGs, obviously, but definitely worth a play.
Fuck, yes.

In fact, I only played PST in Polish, with different (very professional and no less awesome, TBH) VOs, so I only associate him with LoK.
Pfft. Played ENG and PL Torment.
PL, while being the best voiced game in the pollack industry, is still inferior to the original. Polish VAs don't have shit on Tony and the rest.
That is all.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Trolling DraQ aside, how's the translation done since you say you played both?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Black said:
DraQ said:
Mikayel said:
Fuck, yes.

Pfft. Played ENG and PL Torment.
PL, while being the best voiced game in the pollack industry, is still inferior to the original. Polish VAs don't have shit on Tony and the rest.
That is all.
It's probably because they hire known cinema/theatre actors for names instead of hiring voice actors.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, in Bloodlines voice-acting was awesome and added to the atmosphere.

But that was because it was professionally done, had awesome voice actors and good facial animations/body language to go with it.

Arcanum and PST also had awesome voice-acting, for the few characters they had it.

Ergo: only do voice-acting if you have good actors and know how to do it. Don't fully voice every single character if you can avoid it/it's not necessary. Having a few memorable voiced characters is a lot better than having everyone voiced but the actors suck and it just ends up being plain mediocre and everyone clicks through the dialogue anyways.

deuxhero

Arcane
Oh The Nameless Mod did voice acting pretty well along with reacting to everything the player does well... which explains why it took 7 years...

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
voice acting limits your ability as a dev to further develop your game.
that alone should be enough reason for any dev to abstain from it, unless it is absolutely essential to the artistic vision.

DraQ

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
that alone should be enough reason for any dev to abstain from it, unless it is absolutely essential to the artistic vision.
You can just do the kind of trick where you introduce a viable amount of VOs at later stage, after writing the dialogue, but possibly before designing actual dialogue windows and such.

ShavenApe

Novice
DraQ said:
SuicideBunny said:
You can just do the kind of trick where you introduce a viable amount of VOs at later stage, after writing the dialogue, but possibly before designing actual dialogue windows and such.
Yeah, IMHO VO can be good for projects with budgets large enough to pay for quality (quality writing makes this much more effective), but it is best done very late in the project after extensive testing has firmed-up the dialog options required. I also think it is perfectly reasonable (for teams with smaller cash/data budgets) to fully voice only "important" dialogs and just sprinkle the rest of the dialog with a bit to establish character personality.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
DraQ said:
maybe i should clarify. i meant after gold master, whether you want to introduce new stuff via patch, add-on, or dlc.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
deuxhero said:
Oh The Nameless Mod did voice acting pretty well along with reacting to everything the player does well... which explains why it took 7 years...

That reminds me. I need to download that.

visions

Arcane
I liked how Arcanum and Fallouts handled dialogs, having voice-acting for the more important characters, imo it's the most suitable approach for rpgs.

All text is also fine but I like it more when some of the characters are voiced.

I don't like it when only the first few lines are voiced or when npcs make random inane voiced comments.

Phelot

Arcane
Oh yeah and Morte had an awesome voice actor. Forgot what shows he also did, but he was the voice of Toyota for awhile lol. I kept thinking of Morte during those commercials. Great fucking voice that fit Morte's personality perfectly.

Again, having an intro voice over isn't bad if done right. I can imagine the voice speaking the rest that isn't acted.

Also, Tony Jay was so fucking awesome. I MISS U TONY JAY!

Anyone remember Jay in Reboot? I loved that show

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
Just had a listen to the Polish PST (thank you Youtube). You owe it to yourself to hear/play the game in its full English gory. That said, even though it's hard to judge a language that I don't know, the voices seem to hit the right tone. Deionnara sounded especially close to the original's tone.

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
That said, even though it's hard to judge a language that I don't know, the voices seem to hit the right tone. Deionnara sounded especially close to the original's tone.
True. The translation was quite outstanding in this case - they even managed to convey specific dialect quirks so important in PS:T. Also, I wouldn't cite Polish PS:T as an example of why a professional voice actor is better than normal actor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom