Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the fuck don't we make a NWN2 module or something?

Pastel

Scholar
Why not make it a separate module?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Make it an epic-level dungeon with five levels and supermegaawesomely difficult monsters by the thousands. Then drop it on NWVault and say it's a mod for beginners and level 1 characters.

Level 1 should be a dungeon with high-res goat.cx wall textures.

Lemunde

Scholar
buccaroobonzai said:
There are a good amount of D&D settings that could use more CRPG gaming:
(besdies Raveloft and Planescape)

Dark Sun
Spelljammer (ther is a NWN1 SPelljammer base mod or two done)
Eberron
Blackmoor Land of Black Ice (D&D basic ed. setting)
Hollow World setting

D20 fantasy/steampunk made by non WoTC:
Iron Kingdoms (all the rules are seemless with the 3.5 ed. rules and classes.) Its steampunk.
Swashbuckling adventures (D20)
Arcanis
NeoExodus: A House Divided
Midnight
Ptolus
etc...

There is a horrible lack of Dragonlance in that list.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
Lemunde said:
buccaroobonzai said:
There are a good amount of D&D settings that could use more CRPG gaming:
(besdies Raveloft and Planescape)

Dark Sun
Spelljammer (ther is a NWN1 SPelljammer base mod or two done)
Eberron
Blackmoor Land of Black Ice (D&D basic ed. setting)
Hollow World setting

D20 fantasy/steampunk made by non WoTC:
Iron Kingdoms (all the rules are seemless with the 3.5 ed. rules and classes.) Its steampunk.
Swashbuckling adventures (D20)
Arcanis
NeoExodus: A House Divided
Midnight
Ptolus
etc...

There is a horrible lack of Dragonlance in that list.

Yeah I did not mention Dragonlance because I was thinking of settings that were not used at all in any mods for NWN yet. There are 2-3 Dragonlance mods already completed for NWN1. Though Ravenloft has like 6 NWN 1 mods done. and 1 finished and 2 indevelopment for NWN2, 1 of which combines Ravenloft with Cthulhu.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
elander_ said:
NWN2/SoZ would be great for a Wasteland remake with the world map feature if that is also modable.

I wanted to play that game again but it's so unfriendly to get it working with the DOSbox with the save system and having to play with descriptions being written on the printed manual to save memory.

If that doesn't work then i believe that Jagged Alliance 2 with the latest patch is highly modable.

When I played Wasteland on DOSbox I was not able to get conversations working with NPCs for some reason? I would click on the NPC and it would just stand there. Did you encounter this with DOSbox?

I would love to see a Wasteland remake with some conversation tweaks and additions. The use of skills in that game is some of the best out there.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Heh. Okay, here's a proposal, nicely vague and everything:

WHEN I get a computer that is not shit, and will allow me to actually run NWN2 - I have said I wanna make a mod for SoZ.

WHEN I DO THIS - you guys maybe want to give me a hand? In addition to adding more cohort stuff, I was already planning to add more overland map content that wasn't wibbly little teeny dungeons.

Also, as a long shot, I had high hopes for adding back a major element that got cut - LANTAN. It isn't about some stupid love for gnomes I have (I DON'T), it's that the visual impact of being in a place not built for the average character size is compelling to me. Also, while Lantanese gnomes aren't xenophobic on par with Samarachans, fuck if they don't try to give you the runaround every chance they get. If they're desperate enough to deal with strangers... things get interesting, eh?

(The issue of course with Lantan is that it would require some new assets in addition to careful resizing. This may be more than the Codex alone can handle, but assuming we could get some artists interested, possibly it could be done. And, well, SCOPE being the issue, but if it gets the proper testing and can be slipped in as a nice optional side-content - aroundabout the time you'd go to the Sword Coast, lvl 6-8 - I think it could be pretty goddamn cool)

So. With all this being in the future still, what's the good word? The mod is something I'm going to be doing no matter what, but getting a promise of assistance or wanting to contribute a dungeon to a larger whole - a bigger gestalt mod or wtfever - I think would be pretty rad. What do you think?

elander_

Arbiter
buccaroobonzai said:
When I played Wasteland on DOSbox I was not able to get conversations working with NPCs for some reason? I would click on the NPC and it would just stand there. Did you encounter this with DOSbox?

It was a long time ago but i recall the game worked ok with DOSbox.

Annie Carlson said:
WHEN I get a computer that is not shit, and will allow me to actually run NWN2 - I have said I wanna make a mod for SoZ.

That would be very cool. SoZ can be a great game with more development. It has everything in there. It just needs to be more developed with better npcs, dungeons and combat balance. My suggestion is make the game more character focused with complex npcs and interesting relations between them and have more developed dungeons. Make them similar to ultima underworld with npcs and factions living inside that can give you quests and give them an history and a purpose to be on the world map, besides a source of loot and xp or something you have to go through to advance the main quest.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, I'm cool with helping with Annie's modding. As long as I don't have to do some serious scripting, since that's not in my alley. Some mapping work, dungeoneering and writing is more along those lines. So yea, I guess I can chip in a bit.

I did try to gather a crew to make a Praedor campaign once though. Would have been a rather different setting, and redone armours (DR instead of AC, with Parry being a major combat element), as well as separate path for arcane spellcasters.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Annie Carlson said:
So. With all this being in the future still, what's the good word? The mod is something I'm going to be doing no matter what, but getting a promise of assistance or wanting to contribute a dungeon to a larger whole - a bigger gestalt mod or wtfever - I think would be pretty rad. What do you think?

I'm not making any promises, since I'll be having a busy spring and summer, but I'd be interested in joining the project. Been working on my terrain editing skills, as well as dialog implementation. Plus, I've been working in 3ds max lately, so I might be able to help with some custom assets as well, so long as someone offers some good concept art to start with.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I'm interested in lending a hand too. However, just like fastpunk I can't promise I won't suddenly get swamped in sticky situatons. I can only write stuff. I'm no programmer, I can't do anything like that, but I do know how to write stuff.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Annie Carlson said:
WHEN I DO THIS - you guys maybe want to give me a hand? In addition to adding more cohort stuff, I was already planning to add more overland map content that wasn't wibbly little teeny dungeons.

Also, as a long shot, I had high hopes for adding back a major element that got cut - LANTAN. It isn't about some stupid love for gnomes I have (I DON'T), it's that the visual impact of being in a place not built for the average character size is compelling to me. Also, while Lantanese gnomes aren't xenophobic on par with Samarachans, fuck if they don't try to give you the runaround every chance they get. If they're desperate enough to deal with strangers... things get interesting, eh?

(The issue of course with Lantan is that it would require some new assets in addition to careful resizing. This may be more than the Codex alone can handle, but assuming we could get some artists interested, possibly it could be done. And, well, SCOPE being the issue, but if it gets the proper testing and can be slipped in as a nice optional side-content - aroundabout the time you'd go to the Sword Coast, lvl 6-8 - I think it could be pretty goddamn cool)

I'd love to help with this. I can Reskin Tilesets as well as placables. Other stuff I've done is Here.

I can also script. I also write music as well. I am currently writing music for This project. (The music link is for the other composer Henry. I don't have any links to the music I've written as I dont want to spoil it yet). :D

Just PM me here when you are read, if you want my help.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Annie Carlson said:

SoZ: Unofficial Official Enhanced Edition

Then again J.E. Sawyer did such a good job with The Black Hound and everything.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
You flatter this poor jaded game designer, Codex, that you do :)

I'll let you know the moment I got somethin' up and runnin', kids, you have my promise. And I'll make sure there's a random encounter with a fell troll named Teh-Kodeks who hits like a murderous bastard. FUN FOR EVERYONE! :twisted: Wheeeeee!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I was actually thinking last night (prophetic vision/fever dream? your choice) that we could actually make an entire troll city and a questline in the honour (?) of the Codex. And it would have choices and consequences depending whether or not you help the rebels of Andhaira to give the feared troll princess Volourn the honour blade or side with the city's Dark Underlord to fight the rebels and their Decline, or if you go in sneaky like and let out the exiled Vault Dweller...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I was actually thinking last night (prophetic vision/fever dream? your choice) that we could actually make an entire troll city and a questline in the honour (?) of the Codex. And it would have choices and consequences depending whether or not you help the rebels of Andhaira to give the feared troll princess Volourn the honour blade or side with the city's Dark Underlord to fight the rebels and their Decline, or if you go in sneaky like and let out the exiled Vault Dweller...

That would be the most EPIC and greatest game of ALL TIEM!!!

Seriously, someone should get working on this!

Monocause

Arcane
I can help in the writing department, whether it's about concepts or in-game dialogue. Of course, my claim is as good as all the others so if you're in need of writers I suggest you PM us with some guidelines so that each of us can give you a sample.

I can also offer a professional-level Polish translation. Not that anyone's interested. :D

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
So lets see a Storm Of Zehir expansion, with well thought out dungeons relying on factional intergration....Check
What about using or expanding on the mercantile system from SoZ?
What about Lantan, would it be possible to add Lantan city adventure, and/or seaborne adventuring to this?

Also, Annie or someone needs to be a project lead/manager. Someone who can designate tasks, manage and organize workoads, and most of all RILE PEOPLE UP!

felicity

Scholar
Well designed dungeon > all
NWN2 seems to be a good platform for party-based dungeon crawl. The combat system and ruleset are decent actually.

Arcanoix

Scholar
Pastel said:
Wyrmlord said:
Well, what particular D&D settings are good but not been used much?

I say this because if we are to make something with NWN2, it should be an existing D&D setting. NWN2 is not meant for non-FR modules, not with entire spells and deities based on D&D setting.

But there should be some scope of doing something cool and hitherto unseen. Like what MotB did with Rashemi. It's traditional D&D and FR, but it's a different part of the continent, in a land where barbarians and spirit-worshiping locals exist.
Modding new gods ought to be easy, and besides, that's just a superficial aspect. The Planescape Trilogy team don't seem to be having much trouble, anyway.

Besides, you could just disregard setting entirely and set the whole module within a confined space, like an inn or a carnival or something like that, and disregard geographical location and all that.

OldSkoolKamikaze said:
This would just result in topics of arguing about how things should be done with nobody volunteering to do any of the actual work.
That's pretty much the current situation anyway.

I'm already working on something that I've had a concept and story for about a decade now. With several endings, choices and consequences (dependent on character choice) etc. The NWN2 engine isn't hard to work with so long as you're proficient at certain things such as 2DA consolidation, a steady, stable workflow, HakPak editing, Heightmap/Walkmesh stabalization, etc. etc.

While I'm at it, there should be screenshots of a WiP "interior-exterior tomb" area/region up on the Vault soon. *hint* *nudge*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom