Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the Fuck Does FreeSpace 2 Cost so Damn Much?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Pfft. I picked up FreeSpace 2 AND Descent Whatever-who-cares-version as a double-pack for $10 AUSTRALIAN (That's about a buck fifty US). Enjoyed FS2 too. Really good little space game for the money I paid. Mission based shooter sim with a smidge of freedom in mission choice.

Anonymous

Was it an Interplay published double-pack? I know in Austrailia some group was publishing new copies System Shock 2 last year.

Spazmo

Erudite
The only Freespace double pack thing IPLY published had Freespace and Silent War, the expansion to it, which is what I bought for maybe 20-25$ CDN. Pretty fucking good deal given how awesome the games are.

Sam Brown

Novice
Freespace 2 really was great. IMO, the other great space flight sim is X-Wing: Alliance. Yes, they're both linear games, but I like advancing through structured missions to follow a plot. I like open ended games as well, but they never seem as satisfying to me. Anyway, if you can find Alliance, I think it'd be worth it.[/url]

Lemon

Arcane
Sam Brown said:
Freespace 2 really was great. IMO, the other great space flight sim is X-Wing: Alliance. Yes, they're both linear games, but I like advancing through structured missions to follow a plot. I like open ended games as well, but they never seem as satisfying to me. Anyway, if you can find Alliance, I think it'd be worth it.[/url]

Alliance comes with the "X-Wing Trilogy." A good buy if just for the updated version of Tie Fighter.

Seven

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Freespace 2 isn't that great. It's a nice little space flight sim, but not the end all be all space flight sim. Hell, it's five years old now and Interplay is re-releasing it at full price because they know there are people out there dumb enough to pay full price for a collector's edition.

Personally, I'd go with Hardwar over FreeSpace 2 any day, but that's mainly because I'm not a huge fan of mission based space games. Gimme the open ended ones any day.

That said, you can get Universal Combat for $20 right now, and it has gobs more stuff than FreeSpace 2 did. It's open ended. You can train your marines to do things. For example, I was talking with a friend of mine who trained a marine to salute every time the marine made a kill. While not the most useful thing to spend time training your grunts to do, it does demonstrate a pretty neat learning feature of the AI. You can fly a fighter in to an enemy ship, damaging it - eject at the last minute, fly your pilot to the enemy ship, board it, and steal one of their fighters to have your escape!

Hmmm... Universal Combat you say, isn't that the Derek Smart game? Is it buggy?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Probably, I haven't played it because I don't have a flightstick. I broke mine about two years ago and haven't gotten around to buying another one. However, there is a demo of it available to check out to make sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom