Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why so many MMOdressing games and so few mmoRPG's?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
My favorite MMO was Vanguard. It was hardcore.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Their launcher din't worked, at least in Linux with wine and sorry but I will not install M$ spyware only to test an mmo.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
My favorite MMO was Vanguard. It was hardcore.

Yeah. I missed out on peak WoW, but got the bug with City of Heroes for a couple of years (still one of my favourite games of all time), and when my interest in CoX started petering out, I remember playing Vanguard:SoH as the next best thing for quite a while. Though the design philosophy was very different - e.g. tons of instancing in CoX, very little in Vanguard - the focus in both games was on building community, on playing together and benefiting from playing together, which I think is the key to MMOs.

The solo MMO player is a sad beast (though we've all done it from time to time, I suppose).

Vanguard had great gameplay and graphics for the time - if you could run it (which sadly, I wasn't able to very well during my initial flurry of interest, it was a bit of a struggle on my old potato at the time). It also had a tremendous variety of starting areas and classes IIRC, just so much questage.

I had a bit of fun with EQ2, but by then the "magic" of the MMO was fading for me.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
The solo MMO player is a sad beast (though we've all done it from time to time, I suppose).

So true. There just hasn't been a single player game that scratches the same itch that I get on occasion for MMO gameplay. So I do at times find myself playing MMO's alone. I think there should be an effort for a game to have all the classes, dungeons, overland zones, raids, mounts, player housing, collectibles, harvesting etc. Nobody has really tried to do that though as far as I know. Bethesda games (especially modded) come closest for me.

I had a bit of fun with EQ2, but by then the "magic" of the MMO was fading for me.

That is super cool you played EQ2. Thats one of my favorites. Sucks the magic was fading. Its was a fine game with a lot of content.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I love Vanguard almost as much as EverQuest. I played it to death and still wish I could play it some more. It's being remade but they have been working on it about a decade and it still has a long way to go :/

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Vanguard I played a BIT in the private server but since mobs are placeholders, I stopped playing cuz found boring as no mob posses challenge. As for they are "re making", I hope that we will not gonna get a ultra declined version of Vanguard which fells more like a mmoDRESSING game instead of a mmorPG.

Runescape is the best MMORPG I've played. Well it was before the grand exchange was invented. Then the Varrock square ran dry and the old soulful method of trading was over. I used to be able to buy a gf whenever I wanted. It's not the same anymore. Plus the graphics sucked when RS2 came out.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yea there is a team working on an emulator but it will probably take several years. Usually with emulators they manage to harvest data from the live game or something. With Vanguard they have no data, so they had to remake almost the entire game with a tiny team. It is at the point that you can explore the world and do some questing. But the combat isn't really working and that's the main thing you do. So it has a long way to go. They have gear and quests up to level 30 and not much beyond that. They made a lot of progress! But it took them 9 years to reach this point so it is still going to be at least a few more years before I would want to play it again.

It's so sad. I know people who joked about breaking into SOE HQ and stealing the database. Jailtime is a high price to pay for a game though so here we are, 9 years later and it sits on a dusty hard drive somewhere.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
The disconnect between companies capable of making high production value MMOs with tons of handcrafted content and people who care about anything but profit is simply too large. There's not a lot of room for indie MMOs that can have production values sufficient to interest enough people to pay for content creation and server costs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom