Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why Sloppy Matchmaking is Bad for StarCraft 2

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Editorial ]</strong>

<p>Earlier this week, Blizzard's Rob Pardo <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99211-Battle-net-StarCraft-II-Matchmaking-Too-Good" target="_blank">mentioned</a> that they're considering adding "a little sloppiness<span>" to the Battle.net matchmaking for <a href="http://www.starcraft2.com/" target="_blank"><strong>StarCraft II</strong></a>, meaning that you might wind up facing players that are above or below your skill level. The Escapist's Shamus Young <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/7313-Experienced-Points-The-Isolation-of-Random-Matchmaking" target="_blank">doesn't think</a> that's such a hot idea.</span></p><blockquote><p>I think what Pardo is proposing will just make the game feel sort of arbitrary. What if I'm not in the mood for a tougher challenge tonight? What if I am, and the game hands me someone of lesser skill? That guy who just wiped the floor with you? Was that player way above you, or did you make a blunder? Did you just win because you're improving as a player, or the matchmaker threw you a newbie? You can't face that opponent again and find out, because they have vanished into the crowd and the game is going to give you another random name to play against.
</p></blockquote><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/">The Escapist</a></p>

Yeesh

Magister
That guy who just wiped the floor with you? Was that player way above you, or did you make a blunder? Did you just win because you're improving as a player, or the matchmaker threw you a newbie? You can't face that opponent again and find out, because they have vanished into the crowd and the game is going to give you another random name to play against.
Like seriously? With 10 million people playing, were you really going to get the same person twice in a row anyway?

But anyway what do I know? I'm too old to even dream of playing a competitive RTS online.

Monocause

Arcane
Was that player way above you, or did you make a blunder? Did you just win because you're improving as a player, or the matchmaker threw you a newbie? You can't face that opponent again and find out, because they have vanished into the crowd and the game is going to give you another random name to play against.

It's easy to figure out. First of all, when you start a game there's that "favoured" bar which shows who's the better player ladder-wise. Second, if you lose to someone who's better than yourself, you lose only a little amount of points. If you lose to a noob you lose a lot of them.

Gaming journalism, I mean, what the fuck?

Norfleet

Sounds mostly like sensationalism to me. A little bit of noise in the matchup is how one finds a challenge every now and then. Of course, as even the most immature encrustling knows, there must always be one Spathi that picks the short Ta Puun stick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom