Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why RPGCodex is censored at the ESF

Jed

Cipher
I don't care if the RPG Codex is censored from the Beth Forums or not, but I do find it funny. For one, it gives the 'Codex an aura or mystique of power that I really doubt we deserve. Two, they're creating their own drama with this; unexplained draconian rules invite rebellion. Three, it makes Bethesda look really petty and unprofessional, even more so that this is being done under the patently thin veneer of "professionalism," i.e., protecting the youth from obscenity on the internet.

Anyway, thanks to the ESF mods for wading into hostile waters to participate in this thread.

John Yossarian

Magister
This is getting ridiculous. The ESF are there for one reason and one reason only, to be made fun of at "The best thread ever". Stop with the whinning and trolling and asking the mods for explanations. Fuck it I'm changing my sig to set an example, and ill never visit or talk about their dumb site again.

golgotha

Liturgist
MacBone said:
Here's what I don't get. How many units of Oblivion has Bethesda sold already? How many Oblivion reviews besides VD's were negative? Why should they even care what ONE site thinks about their game? Why is Beth so scared of one tiny, insignificant, minuscule slice of the gaming community?
To go further, hardcore (I hate using that word) RPG fans will already see the glaring flaws in Oblivion without the need of VD's review. Since Codex is looked at as a haven for RPG fans, why would ESF posters be able to see from VD's perspective, since most of them prefer the sandbox setup and action the game delivers? I just don't see how people who like Oblivion will instantly dislike it due to one review pointing out the games RPG shortcomings.

Data4

Arcane
I've got a theory... Bethesda is God, right? And the Codex is so totally like the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, and they're afraid if their Adams and Eves take a bite, shit will change.

Damned if that's not an ironic analogy coming from me.

-D4

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
I regret making this thread, but I only made it because it was quite amusing to see such BS(also try Fox News Channel).

But, hey, at least it makes my postcount bigger! :)

Dregur

Novice
Some of the posters at ESF tried to invade the BioWare boards and failed miserably once they figured out that we can and will ban dumbasses.

Well, that and they were just dumb.

-The Grinman :D

Voss

Erudite
Dregur said:
Some of the posters at ESF tried to invade the BioWare boards and failed miserably once they figured out that we can and will ban dumbasses.

Really? It doesn't show.

Iasi, Romania?... Postcount: bigger then yours
ESRB my ass, I posted a thread in the ES General in which I quoted (not linked) most of the good ideas made in the Magic Discussion thread it got vaporized in less then an hours.

Go ahead, check the thread yourself, there's hardly anything pronographic, discriminating or against the rules of even such a moderated forum like ESF and the few swear words I quoted were censored anyway...

Lumpy

Arcane
Except a dick in a jar.
Anyway, they let the thread live when the photos were posted from a Photobucket album.

Texas Red

Whiner
Hungry Donner, so, do you care to answer? Why is it not allowed to discuss banned members or locked topics?

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
The Walkin' Dude said:
Hungry Donner, so, do you care to answer? Why is it not allowed to discuss banned members or locked topics?
Because, in a sense, it's being disrespectful to one's privacy to do so.

if you got banned for an unspeakable reason, you don't want the whole forum to know, do you?

Inziladun

Magister
Ahzaruuk said:
The Walkin' Dude said:
Because, in a sense, it's being disrespectful to one's privacy to do so.

if you got banned for an unspeakable reason, you don't want the whole forum to know, do you?

You shouldn't have done the 'unspeakable reason' in the first place, if you didn't want your poor forum account ridiculed. Besides, if you're banned, you're not supposed to come back, so it's kind of pointless to respect the privacy of a banned forum member who broke the rules and is not returning. I'm under the assumption it's more so the Moderators don't have to explain themselves.

Proweler

Scholar
Hungry Donner said:
If someone tries linking to the Codex and doesn't realize that it's censored we explain the situation to them - we don't warn them. However some people have purposefully bypassed the auto-censor, knowing full well that we don't allow the site to be discused. That will get you a warning.

So what about those indirect mentions and qoutes from the Codex? I've had whole posts removed. No links, no bypasses.

What kinda gestapo crap is that?

/rant

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Two, they're creating their own drama with this;"

LOL Just like the Codex who whines about companies like BIO and Obsidian being overhyped then turns around and hypes those companies beyond belief cosndieirng how many threads - actual news or otherwise - they seem to get. Likely more than any other comapny that's for sure. Mr. Geneforge creator whose games are actually liked around here gets less time.

You are feeding the hype you supposedly oppose. Hell, VD even made a news post about Mass Effect awhile back, and it's not even a PC game!!!

R00fles!

User was nabbed fit

hype != awareness

fame != infamy

The difference between the type of exposure that a game like Oblivion gets here, and the exposure it gets on a commercial gaming website (that kisses its feet) is drastic.

Going by your logic, a lampoon (a sharp, often virulent satire directed against an individual or institution; a work of literature, art, or the like, ridiculing severely the character or behavior of a person, society, etc.) would be beneficial for those who they attack... Contrary to popular belief, not all news is good news.

User was nabbed fit

Really, so I guess all those smear campaigns during things such as political elections actually work to the benefit of their targets!

LOLZ!

Hungry Donner

Novice
Jed said:
Anyway, thanks to the ESF mods for wading into hostile waters to participate in this thread.
Not a problem :)

The Walkin' Dude said:
For bans (and warnings) it's part of the privacy agreement.

As for locked topics, threads about locked and deleted topics just exaserbate the problem, and it's easy enough to PM a mod about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom