Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why people like Tekken?

Felix

Arcane
Seriously, the combo system where you push button to combo even before they complete the moves and pseudo 3d movements are lame as fuck.

Zomg

Arbiter
All the combo shit gives nerds an advantage because they'll practice, which produces fans when they shitstomp casuals online (or previously in arcades). Beyond that people play the games that are popular enough to create a scene, which ATM is either Street Fighter or Tekken and if you like Virtua Fighter or something you are shit out of luck.

Felix

Arcane
We're talking about fighting game with no weapons bro, for weapons I prefer Bushido Blade.

Destroid

Arcane
The weapons in Soul Caliber don't exactly make it much different from a regular fighting game though.

Bushido Blade is a drastic departure from genre typical.

Zomg

Arbiter
I think it's kinda ridiculous to treat Bushido Blade as anything but a curio honestly

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Soul Caliber is superior in every way.
Soul Calibur isn't even mediocre. Being better than Tekken is not a merit. Tekken was major :decline: for fighting games and still is the fighting game popamole (along with SC).

I'd say the combo shit produces fans because it's banal and simplistic enough, and all that matters in it is knowing the two or three best combos a character has. It doesn't take real practice to become good in it like with Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat or King of Fighters. And the gameplay is dumbed down, since it doesn't include pretty much any mobility/mindgame special moves at all.

Zomg

Arbiter
Complete bullshit, the level of mastery at the upper levels is just as incomprehensible as every other fighting game you'd name. Just criticize them on the level of dumbass party games and laggy online match fuck-arounds because that's the most anyone here has done.

Incidentally Soul Calibur is the king shit of party fighting games. Essentially no juggles, the air control thing, the 8-way run and comedy ring outs make it fun and jokey for decent players that never, ever do practice mode to pass around the controller on

Destroid

Arcane
Eh, I thought KOF used a combo system quite similar to Tekken?

My fav fighting games are Last Blade 2 and Garou: Mark of the Wolves, although I am very fond of the Soul Caliber series too. I like that the combos are relatively short and simple to learn and use in the two former, the latter has got so many combos to learn per character I never scratched the surface but I'm not much of a combo player anyway.

Archibald

Arcane
I'd say the combo shit produces fans because it's banal and simplistic enough, and all that matters in it is knowing the two or three best combos a character has. It doesn't take real practice to become good in it like with Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat or King of Fighters.

Mortal Kombat...?

As for Teken, cool shit happens when you just mash buttons. Thats why everyone is playing it. Of course top level play is just as good as in any other decent fighting game.

Archibald said:
As for Teken, cool shit happens when you just mash buttons. Thats why everyone is playing it. Of course top level play is just as good as in any other decent fighting game.

Yup, it's more fun for beginners. And you can actually learn a lot just by mashing those buttons without boring studying of move lists. I'd call this system intuitive, not popamole. It's not like you can beat someone experienced at the game just by mashing buttons anyway. I have a friend who was Lithuanian champion of Tekken 3 ( :D ) when he was 13, and you won't do shit to his health bar without being very careful about buttons you press.
Tekken 3 still provides me with more fun than any Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter game ever did.

Phelot

Arcane
Last Blade, KOF, Samurai Showdown, Guilty Gear, and Street Fighter 2 are the only fighting games I really play. I had Tekken 2 and , but they weren't that memorable to me.

Zomg

Arbiter
The amount you get out of a particular fighting game is so proportional to who you are playing against that it seems dumb to throw out many personal opinions if you haven't been a really elite player in multiple games. If you and your five buddies all really concentrated on a "mediocre" game like MK1 or something against one another you would be playing on a much richer level than if you'd been retard fitan' against your little brother or the CPU in a theoretically deep game like Virtua Fighter 5.

MapMan

Arcane
Tekken is a great game. "easy to learn, very hard to master". Anyone can come in, mash buttons randomly and beat a lot of people but if you face an opponent that knows what he's doing, knows not only combos, counters, dodges and blocks but also knows your character and what he's capable of then you won't even get to hit him. Its a great game for both pros and total noobs.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
MapMan said:
Anyone can come in, mash buttons randomly and beat a lot of people but if you face an opponent that knows what he's doing, knows not only combos, counters, dodges and blocks but also knows your character and what he's capable of then you won't even get to hit him.
Do not lie.

Archibald

Arcane
Do not lie.

Fail.

The amount you get out of a particular fighting game is so proportional to who you are playing against that it seems dumb to throw out many personal opinions if you haven't been a really elite player in multiple games.

So popamole is good in multiplayer?

DefJam101

Arcane
Combos are kinda superfluous unless there is some way to interrupt them and/or capitalize on the comboer's mistakes. GG series has a good amount of game mechanics that support high level play without everything coming down to reflexes (as in most fighting games).

Zomg

Arbiter
Probably, but FPS/TPS multiplayer is a completely different thing from fighting games that I don't know very well so I'm not sure. But I guess a dude that has played like Halo capture the flag with a set team really working at playing other set teams has had a much better experience than some guy that hops into TF2 and plays lone gun retard in PUGs, even if everyone agrees TF2 is better.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
To quote a young cousin of a friend of mine: "Press B, its flashier!". Thats why Tekken is so popular.

As far as I can tell, Tekken is all about combos. Look at pro videos. Fucking adhd spastic zoning, in hopes of a juggle starter and than a half a lifebar killer combo.

SF3 is a pretty balanced game.

SF4 too. A little less combo heavy than SF3.

SF2 is about mindgames.

Combos are kinda superfluous unless there is some way to interrupt them and/or capitalize on the comboer's mistakes. GG series has a good amount of game mechanics that support high level play without everything coming down to reflexes (as in most fighting games).
You are a fucking idiot. Honestly.
Superfluous?! COMBOS ARE TEH WHOLE FUCKING POINT! More skillz -> longer combos -> more damage -> more wins.
WITHOUT COMING DOWN TO REFLEXES?! ARE YOU FUCKING RETARDED?! THATS EVEN MORE IMPORTANT THAN COMBOS!!!!! JESUS; THATS THE WHOLE CORE GAMEPLAY OF FIGHTING GAMES YOU DUMBFUCK!
High level play? Take at least a fucking look at high level play online!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom