Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why is StarCraft considered a masterpiece?

Sentinel

Is it the balance, fast pace, setting or something else?

S.

Multi-headed Cow

I don't know. I think it's a bit stupid myself.

Multi-headed Cow

And then everyone sits around and says "Starcraft, there's a game" and nods sagely at one another even though none of them actually play Starcraft.

Multi-headed Cow

What I'm trying to say is it has the reputation of being the greatest strategy game ever but if you actually play it it's clunky as shit and would be improved with dumbed down consolization because holy fuck.

In conclusion, decent game that doesn't deserve nearly as much praise as it gets.

Multi-headed Cow

Thank you for reading these posts please have a merry Christmas.

circ

Arcane
I think possibly because it took a bunch of things, as it's hardly original, merged them pretty well and made it run seamlessly. Or atleast that seems to be the general consensus. Personally, I'd play most other RTS games before Starcraft. As for strategy well, unless you're a korean who plays it constantly the only strategy is overrunning the other guy early, but that goes for most RTS games.

Destroid

Arcane
Lacking originality?? No other rts before or since has had three such diverse and widely varied factions.

Starcraft is great because it is the total package - an rts that is excellent in all areas.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The fact that different factions wasn't just different skins with the exact same stats was pretty great as well. And to pretty much perfectly balance the gameplay between the vastly different factions meant a lot for the competitive players.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
dx__ said:
Starcraft is overrated. I enjoyed AoE2 far more than I've ever enjoyed it.
AoE2 is the best RTS ever. Unless you count playing custom maps in WC3, but those were more like RPGs/TDs.

Starcraft is a great LAN-party game unless you have someone who's actually good at it because then you'll be eating his shit.

Ive never enjoyed Starcraft. I just don't get it. I love the interface control of Red Alert way more. And Age of Empires 2 was way better too.

Starcraft was just like most of Blizzard's FPS games. More like an action game than a strategy one.

In spite of how many people say C&C RA was unbalanced I had a hell of a good time being strategic and doing cool tactical bits with the good guy side that was supposedly Russia's bitch, even in multiplayer over MPlayer. Targeted Apache Gunship strikes were always good.

I did like Warcraft 3 a lot but it was more because I actually cared about the story than I thought it was some amazing FPS.

Dawn of War is the best RTS if I MUST be forced to play an RTS instead of a turn based game though. But that might just be because I like Warhammer 40K in spite of Games Workshop being utter assholes to customers, employees, and retailers.

dx__

Educated
Zed said:
dx__ said:
Starcraft is overrated. I enjoyed AoE2 far more than I've ever enjoyed it.
AoE2 is the best RTS ever.

I am inclined to agree with this. However, the way people go on about Starcraft, you'd think it was God's gift to RTS.

Zed said:
Unless you count playing custom maps in WC3, but those were more like RPGs/TDs.

WC3 was good, too, though I, for some reason, preferred the WC2 to it.

Zed said:
Starcraft is a great LAN-party game unless you have someone who's actually good at it because then you'll be eating his shit.

You mean someone who zerg-rushes constantly? I like a slow-paced game (which is why I prefer AoE2, probably). Zerg rushing is a cancer.

Starcraft is a good game for people who are good at RTS. Its so finely balanced that you don't even bother talking about race imbalance, you talk about map imbalance, because the races are so well balanced that that is all there is left to separate them.

Destroid

Arcane
AoE and other "Age of x" games are fun also, but I really don't like the hard counter triangles those games have.

If you played against people who were actually good you would find that pretty much every RTS is just as fast paced as Starcraft, only poorer players will give you time to sit around and build things.

J1M

Arcane
The Age games are fun resource collection/city building games. The combat and "RTS" parts about them are really sad. This becomes clear when the tutorial levels are more fun than when you have the full tech tree and a battle to fight.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Lockkaliber said:
The fact that different factions wasn't just different skins with the exact same stats was pretty great as well. And to pretty much perfectly balance the gameplay between the vastly different factions meant a lot for the competitive players.

This.

Still haven't seen another game pull it off. WC3 included. (They had a more diverse set of units than most games, but still tons of overlap, grunts/ghouls/footmen, trolls/crypt things/archers/riflemen, etc.)

Pretty much the only reason to look forward to SC2, but I won't be surprised in the slightest if they fuck it up and make everything samey somehow.

AoE2 was good fun, but all the races have very little difference between them. Made the gameplay very formulaic. SC is a much more active game, reacting to what your enemy does on every level is much more important than just having the right kind of units to throw at him. Preventing expansions, countering his tech, preventing his recon, microing units to be repaired or healed, in battle, macro controlling units to patrol large areas and be researching, building, and monitoring the amount of resources remaining in your bases.

Of course, 19 out of 20 games get played on some retarded map like BGH where you never need to expand or scout terrain or manage resources.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
N00bs lrn 2 play, multi ftw.
And seriously Starcraft had nice campaign, 3 different factions perfectly balanced and dedicated server support. And its Blizzard so you know they will keep patching it years after release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom