Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why is Fallout New Vegas considered good?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I think the problem is that Bethesda can't help themselves from making concrete lore decisions without thinking about the implications for both the previous titles or future titles.
From what I gather there is no real process at Bethesda for lore additions. They simply pitch a quest, if it sounds cool they make it. Lore does not even really enter the equation. They used to have a lore guy but he was fired around the Oblivion time so since then they have been doing everything freestyle.
When it even occurs to them that they're violating established lore, they spend about 5 seconds coming up with an ad hoc solution. "It doesn't make any sense for the Brotherhood of Steel to be in West Virginia 25 years after the Great War? OK, how about if some woman there was a friend of Roger Maxson and established her own chapter, then it got completely destroyed by draegons scorch beasts? Then the west coast Brotherhood sent another team out to investigate." It's still completely fucking retarded, but it gives fuel to the shills and morons who defend Bethesda games online. "Ackshually this isn't terrible writing. It was explained in a holotape that you clearly didn't listen to."

NotSweeper

Educated
Todd won.
no-mater-how-much-you-you-think-you-hate-gaming-journalists-v0-i1692nal2axc1.png

9ted6

Educated
I think the problem is that Bethesda can't help themselves from making concrete lore decisions without thinking about the implications for both the previous titles or future titles.
From what I gather there is no real process at Bethesda for lore additions. They simply pitch a quest, if it sounds cool they make it. Lore does not even really enter the equation. They used to have a lore guy but he was fired around the Oblivion time so since then they have been doing everything freestyle.
When it even occurs to them that they're violating established lore, they spend about 5 seconds coming up with an ad hoc solution. "It doesn't make any sense for the Brotherhood of Steel to be in West Virginia 25 years after the Great War? OK, how about if some woman there was a friend of Roger Maxson and established her own chapter, then it got completely destroyed by draegons scorch beasts? Then the west coast Brotherhood sent another team out to investigate." It's still completely fucking retarded, but it gives fuel to the shills and morons who defend Bethesda games online. "Ackshually this isn't terrible writing. It was explained in a holotape that you clearly didn't listen to."
Consoomers are always quick to defend retarded changes to games or settings like that.

Sure this retcon or new story is fucking retarded but it's official so stop asking questions and get excited for next products.

Lemming42

Arcane
I think it's more a case of people not caring about consistency between games so long as each game offers a creatively satisfying experience by itself. Obviously this has been the case with Fallout going back to Fo2, and has been the case with the Elder Scrolls since pretty much the very start.

The best thing Bethesda (or anyone working on a long-running franchise) could do would be to just free themselves of the idea of "canon" entirely, but Todd, being a dimwit, keeps falling into the trap of trying to pretend that there's some kind of greater rock-solid continuity between the games.

I remember loading New Vegas once, made it to the first bar or whatever that was and shut it off and have yet to touch it since.

I didn't have a problem with the intro or the guy you meet during character creation. The narration and voice acting felt very much something you'd expect from Obsidian and under normal circumstances i would have had no issues playing the game. But the engine, design of the world and the graphics in general just filled me with utter revolusion. I've seen games with bad graphics before, but this was the first time i felt literally sick to my stomatch.

FNV_Location_Goodsprings.PNG

You walked from that white house at the top to the Prospector saloon down the street. This has to be one of the most tryhard posts I've ever seen here, genuinely impressed

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm assuming you are just trolling because those are just about the most dogshit graphics i've seen on a game. Uttely appalling in every way.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I remember loading New Vegas once, made it to the first bar or whatever that was and shut it off and have yet to touch it since.

I didn't have a problem with the intro or the guy you meet during character creation. The narration and voice acting felt very much something you'd expect from Obsidian and under normal circumstances i would have had no issues playing the game. But the engine, design of the world and the graphics in general just filled me with utter revolusion. I've seen games with bad graphics before, but this was the first time i felt literally sick to my stomatch.

FNV_Location_Goodsprings.PNG

You walked from that white house at the top to the Prospector saloon down the street. This has to be one of the most tryhard posts I've ever seen here, genuinely impressed
CTL-F: “color”
Results not found

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
That pretty much seems to be the case. There's some Die Hard Elder Scrolls fans out there who have made videos on the Elder Scrolls lore changes over the years. It seems like with each new game, Bethesda gives less and less of a shit about their lore.
It's still completely fucking retarded, but it gives fuel to the shills and morons who defend Bethesda games online. "Ackshually this isn't terrible writing. It was explained in a holotape that you clearly didn't listen to."
I've pretty much ignored everything with Fallout 76, but I was shocked that people started talking about the Brotherhood in that game. Here's the big problem with that ad hoc, how did Maxson communicate from the West Coast all the way to the East Coast? Because there's quite a bit of stuff suggesting that would be difficult at the very least. The same thing goes with the Enclave on the West Coast and East Coast. How, exactly, did the East Coast Enclave find out the West Coast Enclave got wiped out, and what did the East Coast Enclave think about the West Coast Enclave plan to kill them off? Obviously there was a delay in the information getting over to the East Coast, so how come the Brotherhood didn't have this problem?
Todd won.
Pretty sure this was the goal. I think it's fairly obvious that Bethesda or MicroSoft are pulling some strings when it comes to the media on this TV show. There's quite a bit of bizarre shit coming directly from the media over this, not just the gaming sites. Getting some site to post, "I love the Fallout TV Show, but Fallout New Vegas Sucks!" is pretty much in line with what the TV show seems to be all about. I don't think it's any secret that Bethesda's been butthurt over Fallout New Vegas since it became the fan favorite modern game, especially with criticisms leveled at Fallout 4 in comparison with New Vegas.
CTL-F: “color”
Results not found

Same could be said for Fallout 3. There isn't a location in Fallout 3 that matches the New Vegas Strip in terms of colors used, though.

NotSweeper

Educated
I don't think it's any secret that Bethesda's been butthurt over Fallout New Vegas
It's literally just Todd and his sycophantic buttboy Emil. It's kinda sad that you can be worth millions, but still be stuck in your own mental prison of "I'm not part of the cool kids clique".

I unironically feel bad for Todd.

Vyvian

Educated
Pretty sure this was the goal. I think it's fairly obvious that Bethesda or MicroSoft are pulling some strings when it comes to the media on this TV show. There's quite a bit of bizarre shit coming directly from the media over this, not just the gaming sites. Getting some site to post, "I love the Fallout TV Show, but Fallout New Vegas Sucks!" is pretty much in line with what the TV show seems to be all about. I don't think it's any secret that Bethesda's been butthurt over Fallout New Vegas since it became the fan favorite modern game, especially with criticisms leveled at Fallout 4 in comparison with New Vegas.

I'm not usually a tinfoil hatter but it was eerily coordinated and suspicious how when the show got big everyone was talking about New Vegas and how "toxic" New Vegas fans were and how they were unwelcome in Fallout fandom and discussion. It took me off guard and came out of nowhere. Not to mention all the cope posts and videos about how Fallout 4 was actually wonderful, new tourists talking about how Fallout 3 was actually great and even pushing 76 as good.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I don't think it's any secret that Bethesda's been butthurt over Fallout New Vegas
It's literally just Todd and his sycophantic buttboy Emil. It's kinda sad that you can be worth millions, but still be stuck in your own mental prison of "I'm not part of the cool kids clique".

I unironically feel bad for Todd.

First comment in that video kinda nailed it. "This looks so much like a The Office scene it's surreal"

Delicieuxz

Cipher
Graphically, it's puke-inducing.
Gameplay-wise it's worse than any FPS in the genre. It's clunky, poorly-made and extremely badly designed and a complete disgrace for an FPS.
The AI is in shambles, literally.
I agree with all of that. But it can still be a good game because it's an RPG which happens to be in the first-person perspective, and not an FPS, and its story, choice interactivity, and questing are still good. Whereas Fallout 3 doesn't have good story, choice interactivity, or questing, and is just bad.

The disgusting visuals, clunky combat, and retarded AI in FNV are generally Bethsda's fault, Obsidian just used their engine to make their RPG. And the visuals can (and should) be treated with a lot of mods.

Last edited:

Bulo

Scholar
I'm not usually a tinfoil hatter but it was eerily coordinated and suspicious how when the show got big everyone was talking about New Vegas and how "toxic" New Vegas fans were and how they were unwelcome in Fallout fandom and discussion. It took me off guard and came out of nowhere. Not to mention all the cope posts and videos about how Fallout 4 was actually wonderful, new tourists talking about how Fallout 3 was actually great and even pushing 76 as good.
These are all commonly held opinions. Every Fallout fan I've met IRL has preferred 3 to NV. Computer gaming has been dominated by consoomers for decades now

Ravielsk

Magister
Consoomers are always quick to defend retarded changes to games or settings like that.

Sure this retcon or new story is fucking retarded but it's official so stop asking questions and get excited for next products.
More like they are slaves to their emotion. If you criticize something they liked, a kneejerk reaction occurs where they equate themselves to the thing you are criticizing. So if are pointing out problems with FO3 in their mind you are not saying the game is stupid, you are saying they are stupid. Thus they instinctively default to defending the object of your criticism, regardless of how much they really agree. They will never say it out loud but really what they are defending is not the game but themselves.

Silverfish

Arbiter
These are all commonly held opinions. Every Fallout fan I've met IRL has preferred 3 to NV. Computer gaming has been dominated by consoomers for decades now

I remember a Fallout fan podcast from several years ago where the hosts (all teens / college age guys who started with Fallout 3) couldn't wrap their heads around New Vegas and came up with the worst takes you've ever heard to try to explain away the fact that they didn't like it because it wasn't a theme park for retards. I shit you not, one of them said "Well, the problem with New Vegas is that, while Fallout 3 felt post-apocalyptic, New Vegas is pre-civilization."

Old Hans

Arcane
when you say "everyone" do you just mean some guy on twitter with a name like, "Falloutfan909323489" who gets no replies and maybe 1 view

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Every Fallout fan I've met IRL has preferred 3 to NV
Fallout 3 sold 13 million or so units, and New Vegas sold around 12 million if I remember right. So, naturally Fallout 3 would be more popular just because there's a million more people that have played it.
Not to mention all the cope posts and videos about how Fallout 4 was actually wonderful, new tourists talking about how Fallout 3 was actually great and even pushing 76 as good.
There's been a lot of stuff about how great Fallout 76 is now as well. Amazon Prime Gaming was giving it away for XBox and the PC when the TV show launched. I think they still are. Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas are free right now on their streaming app, but I'm pretty sure Fallout 76 is straight up free.
when you say "everyone" do you just mean some guy on twitter with a name like, "Falloutfan909323489" who gets no replies and maybe 1 view
There's a lot of old things that have been surfaced recently. Things about toxic Fallout fans from years ago moving higher in search results.

Lemming42

Arcane
I think New Vegas is just naturally due for its "is it actually the best written game of all time, or is it a load of boring sophomoric shit" revisionism that most "best game ever" titles are subjected to. It's been nearly 15 years since it came out, which is plenty of time for a new generation of people to go into it expecting a masterpiece and end up being disappointed, and then get pissed at the super-fans who still ardently claim it's the deepest videogame of all time or w/e.

Not seen much Fo4 or Fo76 praise either, I'm mostly seeing people trying them out and immediately clocking them as being soulless wastes of time.

The only genuine weirdness I've seen around the show is that the Fallout subreddit seemed to be ripping the show to shreds at first, then a day later every post was mysteriously ultra-positive, which was strange.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
think New Vegas is just naturally due for its "is it actually the best written game of all time, or is it a load of boring sophomoric shit" revisionism that most "best game ever" titles are subjected to. It's been nearly 15 years since it came out, which is plenty of time for a new generation of people to go into it expecting a masterpiece and end up being disappointed, and then get pissed at the super-fans who still ardently claim it's the deepest videogame of all time or w/e.
It still presents a gold standard in quest/faction design and worldbuilding for open world RPGs, the recently failed attempts by both CDPR and Techland to iterate upon it only vindicate it further.
People who can't get past the dogshit engine and unpolished gameplay are missing out, same can be said for KOTOR 2 and Alpha Protocol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom