Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Why have there been no sci-fi RPGs like Mass Effect yet?

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
ADRfOtv.jpg

I mean, in terms of lore Mass Effect universe has a diverse and unique cast of alien companions/NPCs from different alien races/civilizations. Meanwhile, current well-known sci-fi spacefaring RPGs like Starfield and The Outer Worlds have their universes mostly inhabited by humans and some alien animals at best.

Well, on December we do have Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader whose universe features many different alien species/civilizations, but Rogue Trader's gameplay (turn-based) can't be more different than Mass Effect. (third-person shooter)

I wonder why no RPG studio has tried to copy Mass Effect yet both gameplay and lore-wise, especially when Bioware is in decline. I mean, we have Obsidian and maybe Inxile trying to emulate Bethesda gameplay-wise (first-person RPGs) with Avowed, The Outer World and Clockwork Revolution, why does no one seems to do the same for Bioware?

Tbh I lost all my hope on seeing a revival from Bioware, I'm counting on Arrchtype Entertainment - founded by Bioware veterans and backed by Wizards of The Coast - to deliver us a third-person-shooter RPG with many different alien races/civilizations like Mass Effect (they do have a sci-fi RPG in development, so who know?)

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
because the concept of a deep lore you can make multimedia projects about wholly unrelated to the game at hand (be it books, comic books, tv series, whatever) is a blight upon humanity and the biggest cancer is obviously war40k which requires all those stupid fucking fluff texts to sell their Chinese plastic dolls they don't even bother to paint

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Owlcat is currently making a sci-fi third person shooter RPG.

Most publishers would consider it a financial dead end. Even Bioware itself grew to believe so.

scytheavatar

Scholar
It takes tremendous effort and technical knowledge to make a third person shooter.

It takes even more to make a CRPG.

To make a game that is both a third person shooter and CRPG at the same time is something that is beyond the capabilities of most studios.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I hear there is this new RPG called "Starfield".
VERY unique and VERY diverse.
Space negroids? Check.
Space LGBTHQ danger hairs? We've got you covered.
See that planet? You can land on it xddd!!!
Truly a unique experience that has never been replicated.
11/10.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm glad we don't get more cinematic RPGs where half your playtime is eaten up by cutscenes.

Oh wait we get a lot of those, just not sci-fi.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Modern RPGdevs can't even get basic, generic fantasy settings right, nevermind lore-rich, high production Star Trek knockoffs.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Modern RPGdevs can't even get basic, generic fantasy settings right, nevermind lore-rich, high production Star Trek knockoffs.
Yes, and devs prefer to do pseudo-medieval D&D-inspired fantasy over any other genre despite the market being oversaturated with it. I can't imagine why.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Why have there been no sci-fi RPGs like Mass Effect yet?​

Mass Effect didn't sell that well relative to its costs and was difficult to monetize.

Pretty much the case with every Bioware game, it's why they tapered off making their style of RPGs.

Anyway, if Bioware couldn't make their thing work, I doubt anyone else can. Bioware was good at their thing if nothing else.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Budgets have ballooned out of control and made it impossible to take any risks.

ropetight

Savant
Budgets have ballooned out of control and made it impossible to take any risks.
They did balloon and made it harder to take risk and make original works, but raise in technological demands, complexity and inflation are only part of it.

Most of that ballooning is the product of the "creative accounting" for lowering taxes.
Most, if not all, AAA corporations have some sort of scheme with separate companies.
One company is the owner of the IPs (usually offshore), one is publisher (multinational for arranging production contracts) and development studio that is locally based.
It only matters for them to write bills to each other, usually IP owners siphoning profits in the end.
This way they have more expenses (publisher paying for IP, developer studios paying for equipment, renting offices and other costs) which lower taxes.
By the proxy they fuck the shareholders of the development studios - if they are listed separately - which is one of the reasons for the EA graveyard.

This way, Rockstar never paid a pound of taxes in the UK while having smash hits and even getting money from government funds.
I'm sure Activision, Bethesda and EA all are doing something similar.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
See that planet? You can land on it xddd!!!*
*Disclaimer: “planet" refers to anywhere within 2km of a designated landing spot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom