Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do you prefer RPGs over other genres?

larpingdude14

Scholar
topic

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Choice and Consequence, developing a character, gaining XP, playing dress-up with my character and the new shiny armors I looted off the enemy.

Squeek

Scholar
I like having the opportunity to jump into the kinds of roles and in the kinds of places I've enjoyed reading about since I was a kid. The potential of living an alternate life intrigues me. The hint of gameworld reaction, even if it's only an illusion, preoccupies me almost to the point of obsession.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I prefer shoot 'em ups these days, but when I was young I thought RPGs were deep.

lol

I don't. Not always, at least.

What I do like in an rpg is a good set of mechanics in terms of dialog, combat, the notorious c&c (although if other elements are really interesting to me ill let this one go; *cough* diablo, bioshock), an interesting setting/atmosphere, art and texture design, full resolution support, engaging and fun combat, and phat lewt.

Textures/backgrounds can often make or break a game as far as Im concerned.

nowanmai

Novice
What I do like in an rpg is a good set of mechanics in terms of dialog, combat, the notorious c&c (although if other elements are really interesting to me ill let this one go; *cough* diablo, bioshock), an interesting setting/atmosphere, art and texture design, full resolution support, engaging and fun combat, and phat lewt.
True that! Though choice & consequence is the roxxxorz for me!
Textures/backgrounds can often make or break a game as far as Im concerned.
Grapics whoar!Lololol!1!!one
Seriously, though, UGLY, and I mean UGLY graphics can turn me off. And I like Dwarf Fortress (am a fan, actually), ASCII version. So what does make me? AntiProGraphicsWhore? :roll:
Some examples of UGLY being jRPG's and sports RPG's like in the one thread, can't really bother to look for it, as I am completely wasted, but I could look in the morning, if I am sober enough by the time.

Suchy

Arcane
story and good dialogues, rare gems though. that's why i also like adventure games, but these are usually way too linear. i like the illusion of freedom in rpgs.
my fav genres go like this:
1 rpg
2 adventure
3 tactical shooters
and i rather don't play anything else, occasionally a simulator. like once a few years.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Ordinary people enjoy RPGs because leveling up is a very powerful feedback response. I'm surprised more games don't have rudimentary RPG elements to be honest.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i hate rpgs because unlike other genres, they are so gods-below-be-damned disappointing nowadays ('cept witcher and motb, those were nice).

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Replayability, character development, and escapism.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I like CRPG's because I'm constantly trying to recreate the feeling of PnP D&D from when I was a kid in the 80's, and I would never stoop to (publically) playing PnP D&D now.

I'm an in-the-closet D&D geek. :(

fastpunk

Arbiter
I usually like em because of the story element and the fact that you can handle things in different ways (dialog, combat, stealth). If the game is also littered with choices that have an impact on the storyline then it's even better. Actually, that would be one of my favorite things about this genre... but I'm aware that this sort of feature is rare these days.

I also have a weird fascination with stats and rulesets, I like to try different types of rulesets as much as possible.

And lately I've been liking the fact that some RPGs give you the opportunity to craft items or brew potions. A crafting system works pretty well in most settings so I'd like to see this more often, but at a level of complexity similar to The Witcher for example.

Longshanks

Augur
I'm more enamoured of the concept of an RPG (being able to affect a gameworld, story and quests, as well as real character development) than the actualisation. Most RPGs are mind-numbingly boring (present and past), putting you on a monster-killing treadmill to advance your skills and kill bigger monsters, adding a chringe-worthy plot as further insult. One element that seemed okay back in the day of tiny sprites, is the look of character models in their LARPish livery, those in NWN2 for instance look particularly ridiculous. Hopefully, with games like Mass Effect, Alpha Protocol and Fallout 3 (none of which look like great RPGs), the genre will start to move away from D&D-like fantasy bullshit.

Just like games in general, the RPG genre needs to rise above the entertainment of nerdy teenagers, and develop some games a mature adult would reasonably want to play. Currently, I think the genre is behind others in this aspect.

Keldorn

Scholar
With the erosion and decay of the genre (thanks to rampant corporatism pandering to pharmaceuticalized/zombified masses via hyper-repetitive FPS clickfests saddled with truckloads of eye candy which rots the brain) many no longer do.

Many now prefer console sports games.... FIFA, MLB, NHL 08, Boxing, etc. Creating your own boxer or hockey player and tweaking your own team is very very enjoyable. Tough opponents make it so.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I don't prefer them over other genres. Yes, RPGs have provided me with alot of enjoyment, but shooters are always close to my heart. I still have Doom installed, and I often play it, because it's just so much fun.

I would have considered it to be my preferred genre if it there was a greater quantity of RPGs that are good. But for every great RPG, there are several that are not good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom