Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Why do you hate JRPGs?

larpingdude14

Scholar
Since most ppl seem to enjoy JRPGs... i dont understand why so many of you hate them. Yes there are bad ones, but there are bad games in every genre. Is it some kind of elitist thing?

Rhett Butler

Scholar
I don't hate them personally, but I'll say why I consider them inferior to Western CRPGs. They are totally linear, often very grind intensive, main characters who I always dislike at least a little, silly romances in the plots, usually little or no character customisation, and a general lack of maturity. I don't hate them, I just don't take them seriously.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Admiral jimbob said:
No, they're just crap in general. One or two gems, admittedly.
Well, nowadays it would seem that the same could be said for WRPGs.

Klaz

Scholar
Some are good, but the mainstream ones aren't very good, the ones I like the most are Terranigma, and The Way series.

Andhaira

Arcane
I like them; notall oreven most but the really good ones (final fantasy X, 12; FF tactics, Grandia Series, Dragon Quest 8)

I HATE random encounters and the grinding, and thankfully they are all moving away from that (grandia never had 'em which is one of the reasons I like it. Plus in grandia 3 you have your MOM as a party member. ANd what a MILF she is...:D)

Plus the grafix and production values are truly eyepopping The stories they tell are amazing. FFX isa masterpiece in this regard. (the summons were outstanding for their time and look amazing even today)

obediah

Erudite
I'm playing persona 3, the ueber jrpg. It has ridiculous monsters ( e.g. an evil dinner table), pallete swapping galore, and dating high school girls with ginormous anime bewbies.

mjorkerina

Scholar
Nearly every JRPG features a large cast of teenagers and matching behaviors. How the fuck could anyone beyond 16 would want to play that shit is not understandable by any sane mind.

Starwars

Arcane
I don't mind them much. I think the best ones feature good stories (though I'm the first to admit that parts of them are often rather wtf), but most of all their mode of storytelling tend to hook me. The most obvious examples are the Final Fantasies, where I could point out a million flaws, and yet they to keep me hooked to the end. Even with silly characters, shitty gameplay, and often sub-par writing.

But a jRPG as we know it currently will always be inferior to a well done cRPG if you ask me. Maybe if the Japanese would introduce more choices (hey, they have different paths in those adventure hentai games), then it'd be better.

Andhaira

Arcane
Agreed with Starwars!

One of themain things that bug me (apar tofmr therandom encounter shit wihich is dwindling though) are thesilly noin-human characters that get thrown in. Liek those stupid horse-sized chickens (chocbos) that plague every FF.

Andhaira

Arcane
Fuck you 3.

That is, with 3 multi heaed dildos. One for each hole. :lol:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I've found newer jprg's lacking compared to old snes ones. Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe not. Those old games were simpler , more fun and had less emo-ness.

I've played a bit P3 for instance and it's childish graphics and stupid music made me puke. Maybe the gameplay is very good but I'm not at school anymore and I don't care about school activities and teen angst.

DoppelG

Scholar
For one, i never compare a JRPG to a western CRPG, people that do are complete and utter moronic.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I hate them.

But I am fond of the ones that mix strategy into the gameplay (Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, etc.).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom