Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why Do WRPGs Get Saddled with Crap Settings?

SilasMalkav

Educated
I think the answer is that jRPG's tend to have lots of cut scenes and fixed viewpoints, so they can get away with alot of prerendered content. Western games have had a push towards in game cutscenes, so they're restricted by what they can construct within the game engine.

AFAIK all of Dragon Age's scenes are in game, and none of FFXIII's are.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mogar said:
I've seen it used to demonstrate that one agrees with what the other says. Kinda like a "Yeah, what he said" agreement. I just wanted to clarify his opinion, as some on the codex do like Medieval European Fantasy.

Having to choose between:
- well estabilished setting with generic humans, dwarves and elves and shit
and
- "whatever the fuck the main artist drew" put randomly around the world with no regards to why, how, what and when

I choose the genericness.

Believability > fifty billion retarded furry/loli races with stupid names

BearBomber

Scholar
Generic fantasy is medieval for retards with magic, and magical races throwed in without any second thought. No more belivable than JRPG random shit. The fact that we have to chose between the two is horrible.

Phelot

Arcane
I really like the complexity of history. All the different warring factions, families, counties, etc. during the time of the Holy Roman Empire always interested me. I wish a fantasy setting could be made that doesn't just have "human kingdom, elf kingdom, dwarf kingdom"

Plus, I gotta be honest, elves tend to lame me out... maybe they have a stigma from all the LOTR fags and larpers, but the tend to gay things up a bit too much. The only elves I like are those from the expansion for Disciples 2. I thought they were pretty cool.

Fyz

Scholar
I can't see how anyone can say that western games have good stories and characters with a straight face. Of course there are rare gems like the fallout games or PST, but if you want a good story and characters, go and grab classic novel.
I think that both types of games are generic in their own way in terms of story. Being a westerner however makes eastern cliches less generic for me. Not to mention gameplay.
Also I can see how one can dislike a jrpgs combat, but apart from bg/iwd, fallout and toee there wasn't a single western rpg which's combat I enjoyed since crawlers like MM.

Anyway, regarding the question... I think the answer lies in the recipe they use for their games. Gameplay still hasn't changed much since the earlier games, and while retaining some elements they inherited from old crawlers, like optional harder content, maybe even the base setting of mixing sci-fi and fantasy, they always had their focus on the more 'artistic' side of desiging, like the setting itself, concept art, environments, music. Add to that their opportunities at art design really increased as 3d came in. Also, as a result they tend to experiment more with alternate settings, just take a look at valkyrie profile, or other long-running series like megaten.
Western RPG's on the other hand lost their focus on art design and settings, probably as a result of rpgs losing popularity, because mainstream customers didn't really dig western style weird settings. As an example remember how customers were spamming 3DO to remove the Forge from Homm3's first expansion. For anyone who played the rpg series (the fans of the series) the Forge made sense, since it showed the consequence of the player's choice in MM7. Yet the publisher/dev chose the mainstream instead of their fans, and it has been like that ever since for most companies unfortinately. Then they started to release crap on every existing platform till they disappeared. Good riddance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom