Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do people hate Oblivion so much?

Steedless

Novice
I had fun when I first played it, but it doesn't lend itself well to replays. Every quest plays out in the same way every time, and character building sucks because of the broken leveling system.
Every time I've tried to replay Oblivion I've given up due to boredom and a "I've done way too much of this shit already" feeling. It's also the fact that clearing the very first dungeon in the game feels exactly the same as clearing any other dungeon.
Same thing obviously applies to Skyrim as well, and Morrowind to a certain extent.

Ancient76

Literate
In Oblivion you can be the archmage of the Mage's Guild, the Hero of Kvatch, the most renowned person in the galaxy, and still have to pass an entry test for the Thieves' Guild (who let you in despite the fact you're widely known as a friend of the state and a Knight of the Dragon or w/e).

The incredibly forgiving crime system is also true of all TES games except Daggerfall (in which you can still kind of get away with murder, it's just a lot more complicated and consequential since you have to represent yourself in court and then leave the county for a few months until your reputation resets, then start rebuilding trust with whichever demographic or social class you've alienated. Originally they were going to have the death penalty for serious crimes but sadly they took it out during development).

Expecting the world and the actions of people to make much logical sense in MW/Oblivion/Skyrim is a lost cause, they're all games set inside insane asylums full of people with goldfish memories who don't know what's going on beyond their immediate surroundings. I don't think there's any mods to address that for any of those games, which is sort of fine since they're meant to be played as dungeon crawlers rather than social sims.

I'm aware of that. But nothing compares to Skyrim in terms of crappy content. It's like retarded people designed that game.
The thing is that with their Skyrim creation kit you can pretty easily create something good, well if you know a bit of scripting. I used it, and it took me 10 days to make a quest better than anything Bethesda did in that game. I even created branching, choices/consequences, two different ends.

Just Locus

Educated
Developing content through the Creation Kit is so streamlined and convenient, making anything with it mostly amounts to filling out a form basically.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
1999:
4f1180ee-cc1f-4565-8896-2e32cee3dea5-jpeg.36697

2006:
88daa217-bbcf-4e1b-9a48-0b8229bb3dda-jpeg.36696

Always a good laugh when I hear people say "OBLIVION HAD GOOD FACES FOR THE TIME!"

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
IMHO, the one thing that even vanilla Oblivion has over Skyrim is that it doesn't have a medieval grey filter smeared all over the screen at all times

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
IMHO, the one thing that even vanilla Oblivion has over Skyrim is that it doesn't have a medieval grey filter smeared all over the screen
compared to starfield that has a scifi gay filter smeared all over the screen

sorry, couldn't resist.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
In regards to the original unmodded version, I always found the branches and leaves of the trees in Oblivion to be particulary pleasant. Skyrim's trees were an actual downgrade.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron

I’d forgotten the name of that city, it was the only interesting one of the bunch. If they’d just made Morrowind 2 and put it on the mainland with more of that, occidental Vvardenfell.

Shenmune was the most expensive game made at the time. The budget for the game was 70 million dollars. For comparison, Oblivion was made with 10 million.

How many millions of dollars in 2023 for good lighting? Coherent art direction, cohesive gameplay ‘systems’ (a diseased way of thinking about it)? Billions? Trillions? Twenty years and the GDP of California?

Just Locus

Educated
I always found the branches and leaves of the trees in Oblivion to be particulary pleasant.
I felt the same way when exploring the world, sometimes it's really calming to stop, observe the foliage, and listen to Jeremy Soule's fantastic compositions. It's a shame that the excessive bloom and poorly done textures (gonna give Oblivion some leeway in this department) ruins the sometimes charming visuals.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom