Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Why do Clerics suck so much?

Do you play as Cleric?

• Yes

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • No

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • OP's heterosexuality is indeed questionable

Votes: 47 48.5%

• Total voters

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Turkishronin, you're going to have to explain which games you're on about. It's not like clerics or healing classes are the same in every RPG.

Infinity engine and games similar to to that.(party-based)
Those are the one that you haven't played then??? LoL mate clerics do have some powerful high level offensive spells,also a lot of buffz. Don't know what you were smoking but i never do a party without a cleric. It is pretty fun to give them some blunt weapon and put them in plate armour and send them in the front lines.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's better to start as some sort of Fighter and then dual-class to Cleric or be a multi-class Fighter/Cleric if you want to be a competent melee fighter. Single-class Clerics really suffer from the 1 ApR. In 3E games, however, like the NWNs, Clerics are the best melee class due to not only self-buffs, but also Divine Power being able to match the natural strengths of Fighters.

Mustawd

DRfD0u7XcAAvfBE.jpg

come again?

161PT14_Equilibrium-Cleric_02.jpg

that’s what she said..

sgm

Educated
Play 1E AD&D instead.

Half-Orc Cleric/Fighter or Cleric/Assassin. +1 to Strength and Constitution. Another +1 to both stats due to age (multi-class are max starting age per DMG pg. 12, i.e. 24-28 years old for Half-Orc) Spend a weapon proficiency on two-handed sword, especially if DM isn't a bitch and allows Weapons vs AC adjustments (this sword cuts through every AC like butter). Make a killing machine+healer with default stat gen at 4d6, drop lowest die score and arrange to taste (Half-Orc Fighter can go up to 18/99 with a +2 to hit/+5 to damage; piece of cake to get 14 Wisdom, max for a Half-Orc, and get 3 Spells memorized at 1st level and all can be Cure Light Wounds if playing a chickenshit). Starting monies for Fighters are the best. Get Banded Mail easy; minimum AC 4 (I guess this is AC 15 with TETSNBN? Who cares that system sucks) even without dex bonus, nor shield. Roll gud and you can get Dexterity bonus at 15-17 (+1 to +3 AC bonus) Kill everyone. Profit.

Last edited:
To make clerics/healers interesting to play:

1. Get rid of parties. In any party-based game, obviously the main character will do the cool stuff (DPS), and let other secondary scrubs heal.
2. Have healing be more about out-of-combat stuff tied to C&C. The character can fight in combat, and perhaps heal a bit to help with that, but mostly it should be about healing NPCs (with in-game consequences), or healing yourself out of combat. Maybe a bit like Kane in Kung Fu.
3. Make healing an interesting gameplay mechanic, and not just a button click. For instance, have the character read in-game books and learn how various ingredients work, and then experiment to combine them in order to get desired medical outcomes.

Xeon

Augur
Oh also CLerics in BGs have animate dead or undead and its one of my favorite spells since it upgrades with levels and lasts for a long ass time and act as a good tanks. They suck tho in IWD.

Deleted Member 16721

Clerics in Elminage Gothic were dope. I once used the "chance to kill an enemy in one shot" spell against a huge boss and it actually worked and killed him. We were on the brink of death, too. So Clerics can rock. And it wasn't even a high level spell, just like a 4th level out of 9 maybe. aweigh will know what I'm talking about. Clerics are dope in the Elminage games.

Skdursh

Savant
What the actual fuck are you talking about? Are you retarded or have you just never actually played any real RPGs? Clerics are ridiculously OP if anything, at least when it comes to games based off D&D or Pathfinder. They don't have to learn their spells from other books or scrolls they just immediately know all of them when they level up. The have defensive and offensive spells as well as a variety of high tier buffs, can wear armor and use maces, have medium-high hit dice, make fucking excellent multi-class builds, can communicate with gods and get divine intervention among a whole multitude of other things. With the right build perks they are just about the most powerful base class that there is. Smh, this forum sometimes.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
elminage clerics become absolute units of destruction when they get their final spell "immolorati" which does direct, indefensible damage based off their HP pool. It's a take on the "immolate" ability you'll find on paladins in some other game systems.

They also have the best success rate for successfully reviving a dead companion; having a companion turn to ass cos of a failed resurrection, which in turn can lead to them potentially being forever lost in the temple... well, nobody wants that. You will really come to appreciate your Cleric in elminage: gothic's post game when enemies are extremely deadly; you need those resurrections to work!

Also they're average at melee, get access to some cool hammers, and even a special spear in elminage: original (oh, also in wizardry 3 and 5), and they get enough access to armor pieces that their AC is good enough to hand in the front row if necessary.

what's not to like, really. A character that can heal and resurrect and also hang in the front-line when necessary AND also has access to good offensive magic? Like, what the fuck, clerics rule in almost every game system I can think of.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Yall should play MMOs, they can make healers really interesting. The best I ever played was a game called Vanguard which had a Disciple which was a monk/druid type of hybrid. You have 2 targets, offensive and defensive, so you attack your offensive target and it heals your defensive target. Attacks build up spirit that you convert into a heal on your defensive target, or you can convert it into a counterspell or a buff instead. Rift is similar with the Bard, it is a lot of fun to play. Although it was really fun when the game first started, the enemies were really tough. They made it so easy now that the classes don't even matter anymore.

I see you and raise you.

qpfhq0fuwmwz.jpg

Warrior Priest from Warhammer Online functioned the same way with offensive and defensive targets. Nothing like hitting a dude and transferring it into healing for your secondary target. Their main problem was, well, being kinda squishy for a healer who had to be on the front line to pummel shit unless you wanted to pretend at being a bad healbot.

Max Damage

Savant
Is OP posting from some bizzaro universe? Clerics are top tier and have been so for the last two decades. Healing/turn undead isn't even the defining feature of the class anymore, there're all kinds of cool clerics out there.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
There is a great EQ private server that limits you to 2 characters, so I played a Necromancer and Cleric. There was a huge dungeon that had some dragons in it and some of them were undead Bone Dragons. My Necromancer could Dire Charm the Dragon to make it a pet forever, and then the Cleric could use massive heals and buffs on the pet dragon.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Yall should play MMOs, they can make healers really interesting. The best I ever played was a game called Vanguard which had a Disciple which was a monk/druid type of hybrid. You have 2 targets, offensive and defensive, so you attack your offensive target and it heals your defensive target. Attacks build up spirit that you convert into a heal on your defensive target, or you can convert it into a counterspell or a buff instead. Rift is similar with the Bard, it is a lot of fun to play. Although it was really fun when the game first started, the enemies were really tough. They made it so easy now that the classes don't even matter anymore.

That's a pretty cool mechanic

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yep. Rift and I think WoW have another good mechanic which is for the healer to cast a spell on the target and then anyone who attacks the target gets healed. So if that lasts 10 seconds then you generally have 10 seconds to do your own attacks as well and everyone else will be taken care of in that time. But it is a lot more advanced than just that because you cast other spells that do other important things at the same time, but overall it just makes it so you are a combat fighting healer rather than just whack-a-mole with health bars.

Another game I play has a character called the Martyr who lets himself get injured, and the lower his health, the bigger his nukes become. Then if an enemy goes full on him to try to finish him off, the Martyr can flip their health and mana. So you bait enemies to attack you and then suddenly you are 100% health. There is a game similar to this coming out next year, called Pantheon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom