Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do bad RPGs still exist?

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm only guessing, it felt to me like they were B-budget games that tried to ride the 'open-world' wave at least. I think the open world aspect remains the biggest thing that Skyrim made a gold standard - which I think has hurt a lot of RPGs, e.g. Witcher 3, which I thought became a worse game for it.

I always thought the biggest factor is that open world does actually require a lot of work to create & place all the content/assets... and then even more work to add in all the fluff that you need for larping, and it just is really hard to pull off properly without top budget. I suppose some of that overlaps with what you're saying.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Amalur and Dragon Age: Origins are offline MMOs in world design and such. It's a very different feel from Skyrim's exploration focused IMMERSHUN.

Allyriadil

Educated
Because soyboy hipster indie developers that grew up with Nintendo are creating Zelda and FInal Fantasy clones. They never got exposed to the incline that is Goldbox and Wizardry.

1516002476422.gif

Last edited:

Zanzoken

Arcane
The thread title and the OP are asking two totally different questions.

Why do bad RPGs still exist?
I think this is because RPG devs don't start out with a clear vision and goal-oriented design. People copy things without understanding why a system worked or what it was intended to achieve.

The player base for RPGs is also pretty diverse and wants a variety of different things -- compare that to Call of Duty where everyone just wants to shoot each other -- so most RPG developers try to please everyone. And the end product -- again going back to vision and goals -- ends up suffering as a result.

I don't understand why everyone doesn't make open world first person RPGs? Skyrim is the most popular RPG ever but not many people try to recreate it? Why are they making other stuff when it's been proven that games like Skyrim sell the most copies?
Skyrim has had a ton of influence across the genre. Even Zelda went open world and I personally believe that is a direct consequence of the success of Skyrim (also Minecraft).

But Skyrim isn't necessarily something that can be cloned at the drop of a hat. It's a big game with an established setting and a lot of resources (both dev and marketing) behind it. The average game studio doesn't have the ability to match such an effort.

Oracsbox

Far Cry Primal nearly went the way of skyrim,it certainly has better voice acting and no fucker speaks any language known !
The survival options that were released after launch turned the game into more of a larp survival experience just like larpyrim and you've got plenty of walking simulator room.
The character had better motivations as well as a more coherent world even with giant fucking owls.
It's as much of an rpg as skyrim ever was.
Ubisoft cracked that game out in a no time imagine if they ever really make an effort.They should pop a 1st person mode on that new Greek Asssassins creed see how it floats.

I still can't believe this topic is "why do bad rpgs still exist" and that you think skyrim is either an rpg or good.

Skyrim and "state of the art visuals":deathclaw:
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom