Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why did Blizzard not work on WarCraft Adventures?

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Most of the story was already done IIRC. Did they simply want to hold off on doing that game and waiting until the time is right to do it justice?

Note: I am referring to the plot, not the location. I realize Warcraft 3 borrows some parts from WarCraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans, like Dhrall character.

baronjohn

Cipher
The decision centered around the level of value that we want to give our customers. In essence, it was a case of stepping up and really proving to ourselves and gamers that we will not sell out on the quality of our games.
That's ironic, considering that all their games are shit :smug:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
RisenFace.jpg

Erebus

Arcane
I read the Lord of the Clans novel last year. It's not the worst piece of shit I've ever read, but it's still a pretty big one. To be fair, the author apparently had to write all of it in six weeks.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I think that one of the big problems with WarCraft Adventures was that we were actually creating a traditional adventure game, and what people expected from an adventure game, and very honestly what we expected from an adventure game, changed over the course of the project. And when we got to the point where we cancelled it, it was just because we looked at where we were and said, you know, this would have been great three years ago.

Bill Rober truly is a dumbfuck. Cancelling the game because it wasn't next-gen enough. Its even more amusing considering he actually thinks people expected those changes. Confusing a marketing prediction with real demand (the last thing people wanted at that time were 3d adventures with shitty controls) must be one of the stupidest blunders in the history of the company. The game was done. Fucking release that shit already.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It would have sold enough copies to be profitable simply by having the Blizzard name on it back then.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Metro said:
It would have sold enough copies to be profitable simply by having the Blizzard name on it back then.

It still will.

If they release this on BattleNet 2.0 as a $5 download they'd get a respectable amount of sales from it.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
The game looked like shit, an entire game made of outsourced janky ass animation. To release it and sell 10k copies would have been an embarrassment.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Didn't they cancel it because they realised that they are committing a game series rape?
The same with the Ghost?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Didn't they cancel it because they realised that they are committing a game series rape?
The same with the Ghost?

Wait, you mean some total lore-wise anal-nuke, like they did with The Burning Crusade? Didn't stop them on that one...

It didn't look great, even taking into account Blizz's policy of having functional graphics rather than top-notch graphics (idea being to run on lowish computer specs so buyers don't have to have 'gaming rigs', hence a larger market). But I think it was also the perception then that adventure games were on the way out. Adventure games are held in better esteem now than they were 5-7 years ago: the fact that they HAVEN'T disappeared, combined with them being a genre that indies have been able to sell consistently to, has shown to the publishers that there's a small but dedicated market out there that isn't going away - at least in terms of something sold at moderate pricing over steam or similar.

I don't think even that would be enough for Blizz - selling a long-awaited title as a forgettable steam indie would have been embarassing and possibly hurt their brand, even if it made a decent profit. And considering how much worse the state of the adventure game market was back then (in terms of how the industry perceived it, not in terms of its underlying resilience that hadn't been realised yet), there was no way Blizz was going through with it.

attackfighter

Magister
Jools said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
The same with the Ghost?

Wait, you mean some total lore-wise anal-nuke, like they did with The Burning Crusade? Didn't stop them on that one...

same with starcrap 2

METZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN :x

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Azrael the cat said:
I don't think even that would be enough for Blizz - selling a long-awaited title as a forgettable steam indie would have been embarassing and possibly hurt their brand, even if it made a decent profit. And considering how much worse the state of the adventure game market was back then (in terms of how the industry perceived it, not in terms of its underlying resilience that hadn't been realised yet), there was no way Blizz was going through with it.

Your argument is very sound, but I personally believe Blizzard can't hurt their brand more than it already has; WoW mounts, exclusive Starcraft 2 pets for WoW, and the whole shebang about removing LAN come to mind.

Dyspaire

Cipher
Better yet, considering they bring in 100 million-plus a month in revenue, they could spend a small sum tidying the game up (everyone knows it was nearly done, all art assets in place, etc), and release it for free to an adoring public.

(Know it will never happen, but it should.)

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Jools said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
The same with the Ghost?

I meant a game from a different genre.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Jools said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
The same with the Ghost?

I meant a game from a different genre.

Then they did that with WoW. WoW is no more than Diablo2 set in the Warcraft scenario, and without the isometric camera. :)

Ermm

Erudite
It is a proven fact that Warcraft Adventures beta is travelling around Russia, and as far as I know it is only given to trusted persons.
I think 1C or other had some deep involvement with it, like animation or development?

Still, it is travelling somewhere around there.

Drakron

Arcane
There are some YouTube videos that shown its nearly complete, someone certainly have the Alpha build.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom