Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why can't I play a disabled character?

I just want to play a fat, ugly and stupid character. Somebody like Rufus from SF4. Do you people have staple characters in PnP games, the sort of you just do when you have to do a new character and your mind is blank? Mine is fat, mean, ugly, stupid and ridiculously strong and durable. Preferred activities include robbery, rape, murder, bullying and generally being an asshole.

Why can't I do this in CRPG's?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
I just want to play a fat, ugly and stupid character. Somebody like Rufus from SF4. Do you people have staple characters in PnP games, the sort of you just do when you have to do a new character and your mind is blank? Mine is fat, mean, ugly, stupid and ridiculously strong and durable. Preferred activities include robbery, rape, murder, bullying and generally being an asshole.

Why can't I do this in CRPG's?

Sims 3 . Make the ugliest sim possible. Impregnate as many women as possible and meet your bastards in the future on the streets. :)

Well, it seems to me that every RPG hero ever is a psychopathic retard suffering from delusion. I'd like to play a guy flipping pancakes in a medieval setting with elves. The goal of the game would be to buy a medieval microwave and a 3 week-long holiday in Ibiza.

Renegen

Arcane
Beautiful Clown Painting said:
Well, it seems to me that every RPG hero ever is a psychopathic retard suffering from delusion. I'd like to play a guy flipping pancakes in a medieval setting with elves. The goal of the game would be to buy a medieval microwave and a 3 week-long holiday in Ibiza.

Well, this is a bit different but it's along the path of RPG experiences you're looking for:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Rete/do ... =dont+shit

RK47

Patron

Why hello friend, have you heard of Sims Medieval? Be one of the denizens of your kingdom! Be a king! Be a knight! Be a spy! Be a priest! Be a healer! Be a merchant! Be whatever you want and live in medieval times!

Cynic

Arcane
Stats kind of cover this. If your intelligence is low enough, you are basically a retard. Strength too low? Perhaps you had some kind of muscular defect. Here's a cool idea for a character creation system, pick stats, they change your look!

ironyuri

technically if you play DX:HR you will be playing a disabled character.

Compare:

dx_hr_concept_art_adam_jensen_couch.jpg

pistoriusMS0707_468x523.jpg

Jensen is a futuristic cyberpunk equivalent of modern prosthetic limbs.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I remember I used to talk to Melirinda on BioWare forums, and explained with some difficulty that not all games followed the BioWare model of having every possible combination of race (sci fi or real), gender, personality, occupation, or background for the player character.

Indeed, there have been decent cRPGs (outside of Japan) where you can customise the skills and class, but little else, and the PC might be more or less fixed. There is little one can add to Betrayal at Krondor by allowing Owyn to be a woman, and there is little lost by the fact that Owyn can't be a woman.

I am sure that even the narrativist crowd agrees that there is something wrong and weird about being a half-orc or drow raised by an elf uncle in NWN2, where it is almost like trying to fit a whole different story into the main story. Or being a gnomish girl who does punchyard brawling with boys twice her size every harvest festival. Customisation serves no purpose other than customisation.

RK47

Patron
I still despise the fact that Arcanum female mages will gain more from having +1 CON compared to the male's +1 STR bonus.

Captain Shrek

Games should not have any color in regard for color blind people. Oh wait! Games should not be visible for, because that discriminates against blind people. Oh wait! What about the deaf, dumb> What about the retarde.. ok wait. That has been taken care of already.

Volken

Scholar
Most player characters behave like retards anyway (Shepard, Hawke etc.) so technically you're playing disabled guy more often than not.

eugene2k

Novice
SuicideBunny said:
Drog Black Tooth said:
Damn those healthy, straight white people. They should feel ashamed!
it's a valid question. there are plenty of disabled people playing computer games. there's even a market for games you can play with a braille terminal. it's kinda weird and boring at the same time that most player characters fall within a rather narrow demographic frame.
Isn't the essence of role-playing to be someone you can't be in real-life? Why, if you can't walk/see/hear in real-life, would you want the same handicap in the virtual life you're living? And on the subject of having a certain skin color - in many RPGs you can change the skin color of the character, and in some games you're forced to play a girl with big boobs running about and setting off traps - still, no male has ever complained. In other words: you in real life don't want to be you in virtual life.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
eugene2k said:
Isn't the essence of role-playing to be someone you can't be in real-life? Why, if you can't walk/see/hear in real-life, would you want the same handicap in the virtual life you're living? And on the subject of having a certain skin color - in many RPGs you can change the skin color of the character, and in some games you're forced to play a girl with big boobs running about and setting off traps - still, no male has ever complained. In other words: you in real life don't want to be you in virtual life.
some people want to play themselves in fictional settings, some want to play someone they think they are but aren't, some want to play something interesting, some others yet want to play something nice to look at.
the essence of roleplaying is just playing a role, regardless what that role is, but it is nice to be able to play an interesting role as well. the fallouts and arcanum got it, but those kinds of games will not be made anymore in a world full of developers who think that character creation puts too much strain on the average gamer.
anyhoo, the point isn't just about disabilities, it's also about other characters falling outside the underwear model spectrum. most games could easily allow you to play someone who needs spectacles at absolutely no cost to gameplay or story, but they usually don't, even if the resources are already there via npcs.

oh, and nobody complains about that big boobed female because it was already a huge step forward to have another female main character back when it was introduced...

Captain Shrek said:
GOh wait! Games should not be visible for, because that discriminates against blind people
the codex' dream rpg, which is a turn-based text heavy rpg without quick-time events or timed dialogue where you can read the whole pc response in advance, also happens to be one that either already is playable via braille terminal or can easily be made so.

meh

Educated
The_Pope said:
Tape down the crouch key and pretend your character has no legs.

Also:

turn off the monitor to play blind
turn off subtitles and sound to play deaf
unbind run/sprint buttons and toggle always walk to play cripple
turn the monitor upside down to play spider

SoupNazi

Blow your legs off in the original Deus Ex and crawl everywhere.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Wall shattered, a man entered the hospital room and started to talk with person in coma. Then he picked him up. Kakyō joined the party.

"You must excuse her, she has been blind and deaf from her birth." Hinoto showed them where to sit pointed her face to a person, and started to have conversation with him.

Also "Nothing can happen yet, the other sword hasn't been born yet."

You can't be much more hardcore than this.

When you have a dissabled character in the party, the other characters in the party must be totally kickass.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
"Fallout" and "Arcanum" did the INT retard shtick quite well.

You could even be ugly in Arcanum!

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Few things in the way:

1) On a general perspective, marketing a disabled character in a videogame, a medium primarily known for action and violence as a primary element, would be extremely difficult. While alternate perspectives and opinions do exist, on the whole, I don't think most people want to play as characters with disabilities. It just doesn't fit into the traditional hero archetype, and these days publishers want to be as safe as possible.

2) It'd be really difficult to create a character that isn't a token minority, or who doesn't exist to embody the entire spectrum of "disabled persons". Furthermore, you risk alienating certain pitchfork-carrying, Bible-reading demographics by including too much variety in your cast to help represent multiple perspectives, and you don't want to bloat that cast too much in doing so. Fact is, you want disability to define characters, but not to the point where that is all they are, a disability.

3) The actual gameplay representation is a big problem, too. On the one hand, you can include perks in an RPG that make you less intelligent, or go based on stats, etc., but how do you do that in a way that isn't portrayed completely as a disadvantage? How do you manage positive representations when mechanically, a given character is inferior on an objective level? If you give bonuses to disabled characters, how do you do so in a way that feels natural within that game, without trivialising that disability? Those are hard questions to answer and I'm not sure there are ideal ways to go about it.

I'd say that, within an RPG, the best way to handle disability is to look at it in terms of basic stats. While you won't say a character with an intelligence of 3 has X mental issues, you can certainly infer that he/she isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Meanwhile, a character with low vitality can be taken as sickly and frail... low agility can be understood as clumsiness and perhaps a handicap of some sort, like an injured leg... low perception is colour blindness, etc.

If you think of a stat at 5/10 as being "average", then when you start to hit 1-2 on that scale, disability is one of the best explanations, while for higher levels it allows players to role-play a genius, a sharpshooter, etc. The beauty of such a system is that it forces compromise and effectively says "there are no perfect people, everyone has problems of some sort." While you could get away from it by avoiding min/maxing, that would just leave you with a generic everyman, with all the strengths and weaknesses that entails.

The hard part of a system like that though, is having the game world respond properly. Fallout managed to do so decently, but aside from the "retard" dialogue, it was rare that the game actually gave you special treatment for low stats. Characters with low perception didn't miss plot-critical events or items, low agility didn't impair your movement speed outside of combat, etc. Coming up with good ways for the game to reinforce player choices is definitely a challenge, but it's less an issue of actually knowing how to do it and more an issue of just doing it well, and being able to create so much content. I think simple things like the various stat descriptions in Divinity II go a long way. "Your twig-like arms were a subject of mockery during your youth, and adulthood hasn't seen much improvement. You struggle to perform even basic tasks requiring physical strength, much less those requiring any more than modest exertion." says a lot more about your character's ability and disability in a few lines of text, than all the fancy character models in the world can.

The real downside to this sort of approach is that you can't get as specific about disability... you have to do that through building strong characters within a larger narrative, not generalised descriptions. Perks might be able to help add detail and flesh things out, but ultimately it's unrealistic to expect developers to add dozens of diseases, disabilities, disorders, etc. into their game and then be able to account for them all. However, I think the generalised approach works precisely because players are able to fill in the blanks and decide for themselves. Give the player a few flavour dialogue options to explain why he/she walks with a limp, and instantly you go a long way towards making the player feel involved in the world, and like that disability is more than just a statistic, even if there's no 100% direct response by the game.

As far as specific characters go... well, turning the disability into a character trait (i.e. missing an eye = badass pirate eyepatch, missing legs = bionic legs) is a good way to include disability without making those characters feel like they're dragging down everyone else. Sometimes a sub-plot related to disease, mental illness etc. can fit into a game, though it's rare to see so outside of supporting roles (probably because people don't want to play a protagonist with dementia or something). Another option is to simply design a game around the fact that disability isn't going to drastically hurt gameplay... including paraplegics? Be sure there's a strong dialogue system and social element to the game. Mental illness? Include a level where a character has to confront inner demons, or turn it into gameplay - I think I've seen at least a few JRPGs do this to some success. Finding the right balance and tone to address disability is still going to be hard, of course, but so long as your inclusion isn't offensive or pandering, I think it's good to simply have that inclusion even if it's not perfect. Flawed characters are always more interesting, anyway.

Easily Amused

Novice
Patron
You can create a mutant with a "defect" in Caves of Qud. Hemophilia, Myopia, Amnesia, Narcolepsy and other fun stuff. Well, roguelikes are not really RPGs but anyway.

bhlaab

Erudite
thank GOD i made this new vegas mod a year ago

http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36641

Trait - Handi-Capable
"Your bad leg may be untreatable, but it has motivated you to excel yourself in all aspects of living. All of your S.P.E.C.I.A.L. attributes get a +1 bonus, but your right leg is permanently crippled."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom