Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Why are there no round game worlds yet?

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Most of the JRPG's that allow flying vehicle's has round game world. Especially ones that were made after PS1 era. I don't know why you ask for it though, it's not that important as a game mechanic. It just allows you to travel a little bit faster when you are flying.

DraQ

Arcane
IIRC there's some sort of space RTS in development where you pilot a probe on a small planetoid building colony modules and stuff... I remember that it has great graphics, but that I was kind of skeptical about the gameplay. Maybe it was on kickstarter?
Yes and it failed.
:decline:

"Star Quest I: In the 27th Century" is another space game with completely accessible planets and seamless space-planet traversal.
One of the missions had you crash-land on a planet, where you then had to deliver pizza in a car in order to earn enough money to repair your ship.

It is funny how everybody is still impressed by Frontier, but this shareware game made by a single guy is almost completely unknown. The guy claims to be working on the sequel again, but he seems to be intent on beating breaking Cleve's record. He asked for Beta Testers for the sequel more than 10 years ago.
http://virtuadv.com/
Well, Frontier was 2 years earlier and was an extremely popular sequel to an extremely popular game.
Also, how big was Star Quest and how was its flight mechanics?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Most of the JRPG's that allow flying vehicle's has round game world. Especially ones that were made after PS1 era. I don't know why you ask for it though, it's not that important as a game mechanic. It just allows you to travel a little bit faster when you are flying.

I guess I thought something meaningful could be done with it.

See: Super Mario Galaxy.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
You know, I wish game developers would experiment more with different space geometries for their levels. Portal did this a little bit, and Antichamber had a good amount of puzzles which were just about navigating a weird space, and they were pretty cool. A puzzle game about navigating the boundaries of various weird 3-manifolds could be pretty cool, and educational as well.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Would be cool to see on a game with third-person or isometric view, but I guess it would make the world look like a very tiny place...

DraQ

Arcane
You know, I wish game developers would experiment more with different space geometries for their levels. Portal did this a little bit, and Antichamber had a good amount of puzzles which were just about navigating a weird space, and they were pretty cool. A puzzle game about navigating the boundaries of various weird 3-manifolds could be pretty cool, and educational as well.
Pics relevant:
Anyway, some shots of a very basic non-euclidean map I threw together in ol' UT some time ago just to see if it would handle it gracefully :prosperous: :
333khzb.jpg

Overwiew - the map is is essentially a dodecahedron with opposite pairs of faces identified with each other with pi/5 twist (using warp zones to stitch the geometry with itself).
jj30v4.jpg

2rnfu53.jpg

A burst of DP shots traveling around level.
1ik30n.jpg

Self.
20k4xop.jpg

2w4gr4z.jpg

A single Redeemer missile traveling around level.

Conclusion:
Old Unreal engine is - as you can see - surprisingly robust and good at withstanding abuse, but player pawn code would have to be modified to make crossing the boundaries truly seamless - as it is it doesn't map entry rotation to exit rotation properly, presumably by not allowing player pawn to roll, even transiently.
:obviously:

You can approximate pretty much any sort of topology in UT (in the same way a polyhedral 3D model approximates the real thing - your curved space will be made of flat cells stitched together in a curvy manner) provided you don't run out of zones (the limit is pretty strict, alas, given that you need two extra zones (dummy) for single stitch).

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
I was expecting this thread to be about how worlds are actually doughnut shaped. when they loop (if you go down, you come out exactly opposite vertically of where you poped out, but the same horizontally.

Disappointed.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Almost all games with a centered-on-npc-camera do this. It's those where you move the camera yourself and the world is represented as a 2d surface that prefer to decline on realism because it looks weird.

DraQ

Arcane
Almost all games with a centered-on-npc-camera do this. It's those where you move the camera yourself and the world is represented as a 2d surface that prefer to decline on realism because it looks weird.
:hmmm:
I can't make head or tails out of what you were trying to say, so I won't even pretend to try.

In before posting stoned on the codex.

:Flash:

Arcane
Well, Frontier was 2 years earlier and was an extremely popular sequel to an extremely popular game.
Also, how big was Star Quest and how was its flight mechanics?
It's not really comparable to Frontier, as it is a mission-based game with actiony flight mechanics.
However it is one of the very few games with seamless space to planet traversal, and that's quite impressive for Dos game from a time without 3D accelerators.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom