Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why “Magic: The Gathering” Matters

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I agree with the points about how it stimulates imagination, social skills (especially trading) and strategic thinking, BUT he's just a biased hypocrite for dismissing Pokémon as Yu-Gi-Oh as child-like in the same breath, as they are mostly the same.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
I agree with the points about how it stimulates imagination, social skills (especially trading) and strategic thinking, BUT he's just a biased hypocrite for dismissing Pokémon as Yu-Gi-Oh as child-like in the same breath, as they are mostly the same.
NO U

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
dunno about pokemans but yugioh is simplistic at best.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It's a simpler version, but the core features are there. You have to build your deck, make quick decisions while playing, gather with people to trade and play, and there's a entire lore and magical stuff to stimulate creativity, as he points out...

Alex

Arcane
I never liked it much how people who want to be any good at M:TG have to basically memorize and understand what the entire playset of cards (which isn't the same as all the cards, most people play only using the most recent editions) do and how they relate. Memorizing this stuff seems to drain away all sense of wonder from the game.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, that's why I stopped playing competitive standard after a while... there are way more fun formats, like cube draft, vintage, modern, sealed deck, etc. Especially on Cockatrice, since you don't have to buy all the cards.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
I never liked it much how people who want to be any good at M:TG have to basically memorize and understand what the entire playset of cards (which isn't the same as all the cards, most people play only using the most recent editions) do and how they relate. Memorizing this stuff seems to drain away all sense of wonder from the game.
well, i never really had a "sense of wonder" when playing magic. i play because i like the game and i enjoy trying to find a way to "break" the format.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
As for the rest, mathematical reasoning and such, those aren't terribly important skills. Nerds wish they were, but they're not.

you're right
and you should turn off your computer and disconnect from the internet and stop using cars and public transport and all those feats of engineering made possible by mathematical reasoning (including cameras ofc), because of course you don't want to be a hypocrite.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
As for the rest, mathematical reasoning and such, those aren't terribly important skills. Nerds wish they were, but they're not.

you're right
and you should turn off your computer and disconnect from the internet and stop using cars and public transport and all those feats of engineering made possible by mathematical reasoning, because of course you don't want to be a hypocrite.
12192.jpg

Gerrard

Arcane
As someone who has played MtG I call bullshit. Just because the best players have those skills doesn't mean that playing will make you develop them in such scope. Fucking cause and effect, how does it work?

Alex

Arcane
well, i never really had a "sense of wonder" when playing magic. i play because i like the game and i enjoy trying to find a way to "break" the format.

you're right
and you should turn off your computer and disconnect from the internet and stop using cars and public transport and all those feats of engineering made possible by mathematical reasoning (including cameras ofc), because of course you don't want to be a hypocrite.

Seriously, though, if you like to play that way, more power to you! I have no stomach for this kind of game, though.

Cipher
Why do people feel like they need to connect a thing they find meaningful in itself to instrumental use for some other, more banal end? If playing MTG or whatever enriches their life, the fact that it involves some basic sort of mathematical proficiency or reading comprehension (lol) seems beside the point. If one's goal was to improve these, many other activities would get the job done much better, but this doesn't mean playing isn't a worthwhile pursuit in itself for someone who enjoys it - it just isn't the basic level of maths, reading or socializing required that makes it worthwhile.

(if instrumental benefits were the standard, mtg or vidya probably wouldn't rank very high among worthwhile pursuits, anyway)

Last edited:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron

you're right

I am telling you this out of spite: you are one of the stupidest, angriest losers on this website, who misunderstands a hell of a lot of stuff and posts huge amounts of butthurt nonsense. Good day.

right
you're still wrong about mathematical reasoning, though.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

you're right

How many kids are designing computers and cars?

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron

you're right

because everyone remains a kid forever and nobody ever uses stuff he has learned when younger

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

you're right

because everyone remains a kid forever and nobody ever uses stuff he has learned when younger

Most don't use much math though.

Zeriel

Arcane

you're right

I am telling you this out of spite: you are one of the stupidest, angriest losers on this website, who misunderstands a hell of a lot of stuff and posts huge amounts of butthurt nonsense. Good day.

right
you're still wrong about mathematical reasoning, though.

He's wrong about everything. "liek book learning doesn't matter just fuk some gurlz lol!!!1" is literally the worst possible goal in life, and will result in nothing but mediocrity.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Wish I had that article to show to my principal ~12 years ago, when MTG was banned in our school because teachers were thinking we were gambling.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Wish I had that article to show to my principal ~12 years ago, when MTG was banned in our school because teachers were thinking we were gambling.
at least they didn't think you were summoning demons and such

Speaking of which:
http://www.dmchristopher.com/reviews/KOBOLD TABLETOP/review_blood_wars.htm
Scroll to the "personal anecdote".
Fucking catholics.

Anyone played this, by the way? Started collecting it several months ago because of the Planescape theme, but only could play it with my girlfriend (lol i kiss gurls) but it's not really a 2 player game, even with the 2 player rules that have been released afterwards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom