Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Who's worse magic online players or MMORPG players?

Mordu

Novice
Just wondering where magic online players rank on the heirarchy of gamers. Both types of games can be an enormous time and money sink, which is worse? The only thing Magic has going for it is that it doesn't pretend to be a rpg...

bryce777

Erudite
I think MMO players are the lowest of the low, and the biggest losers around. Pretty much in life, not just in gaming.

Magic at least is an interesting game with some strategy, though I can never imagine bothering to collect all the crap necessary to play it in real life. If I could play online without paying, I might.

Zetor

Arcane
bryce777 said:
I think MMO players are the lowest of the low, and the biggest losers around. Pretty much in life, not just in gaming.
So says the WoT fan. /rimshot
Thank you thank you, I'll be here all week. ;)

Magic is an ok game, pyramid scheme aside. Magic Online is horrendously F'd up though... you end up paying more $ for less. I suppose it works if you're a millionaire who really doesn't want to play with the people in your area.

-- Z.

Section8

Cipher
Isn't Magic what kids used to stab each other over before MMOGs came along? Thanks for that Arcomage link, Baby Arm. Haven't played it since Might & Magic VII.

On a similar note, anyone ever get into Etherlords? I played a demo and was fairly impressed but not impressed enough to part with $80. Haven't really seen it since, bargain bin or otherwise.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Section8 said:
On a similar note, anyone ever get into Etherlords? I played a demo and was fairly impressed but not impressed enough to part with $80. Haven't really seen it since, bargain bin or otherwise.

I bought Etherlords 2 for $15 (NZ) locally*. Our games tend to cost double what yanks pay, irrespective of exchange rate, so I guess that is like buying it for $7.50 US. It's a (un)popular bargain bin game here.

I played 20 minutes of it. Not sure what to think. :?

From the the box:
Etherlords II has evolved from a critically acclaimed strategy game into a stunning and addictive adventure game with role-playing elements and turn-based tactical combat
So I guess that means that the non-combat gameplay is slightly different from the original.

[*so about the same for an aussie like yourself]

Human Shield

Augur
Magic online doesn't have a monthly fee. And with the in-game trading system you can get basically as many common type cards you want, and throw in any uncommons and rares individually. You can get lots of cards for $10 if you look around for seller deals.

Kaiden

Novice
There's also MTG: Encyclopedia, which can be played online. It's no longer updated, but you could at least up until 2 years ago, still download the card sets they had for it. But you had to do a lot of searching.

Levski 1912

Scholar
Magic was decent until they started releasing new editions every 6 months. Then it just went to shit.

Kraken

Scholar
The original Etherlords played like HoMM, you had a castle, made heroes and captured mines etc. Except instead of stacks of creatures, you used spells like in Magic. It had issues though, the heroes didn't carry over to the next scenario and it was impossible to have more than one great hero at the time. So in Etherlords 2, they made it more of an rpg, meaning you now control the same hero through the entire campaign. But you don't have castles, and there are only 3 kinds of resources. The adventure mode is also no longer turnbased, which makes sense I guess. It works like that really old Nes game I can't remember the name of, where time stops when you are not moving, but as soon as you move, so does everyone else.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
It works like that really old Nes game I can't remember the name of, where time stops when you are not moving, but as soon as you move, so does everyone else.

Sounds like a protophase-based system.

Balor

Arcane
Well, Etherlords 2 were (and are) quite interesting and planing your deck can require a lot of thought - and expecially if you are into graphical whoredom, since they still look very good. :)
Not sure if main server is still online, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom