Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Who was your favorite character to role play?

Trymon

Educated
Back when Persistent World for Warband was good, I roleplayed Garibaldi, an Italian Medicus (got lot of "Sei Italiano ?" with that name lol). It was great, i healed quite the nobility and warrior caste, which made me well regarded. It saved my life when a mob of angry peasants accused me of witchcraft and was getting rowdy, until some Lord that I attended earlier came to my rescue and dispersed the crowd (by bashing some skulls).

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
My favourite character to emulate is Cugel the Clever, from the books by Jack Vance.
An amoral chancer possessed of no particular skills or strengths except for unflinching self-belief and willingness to brazenly defraud, steal and rape at every opportunity.
Sometimes cowardly, but always with an eye on the prize.
cRPGs aren't the richest grounds for roleplaying, in those I usually end up as a completionist everyman, but I'm doing this play-by-post P&P-styled adventure on a discord server, and it's fun.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
In Fallout 3, I roleplayed as a guy who grew up in a vault who was looking for his missing father.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
In Fallout 4, I roleplayed a father who grew up in a middle class neighborhood who was looking for his missing son.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
In PnP DnD, being a not very bright chaotic good rogue. Along with an also not very bright warrior, we put a dripping bag of ogre testicles on the hands of a priest NPC whom had ordered the killing. GM was so taken aback by our lack of respect for the clergy that we were expelled from the temple without a reward. We fucked up the quest for everyone, but big laughs ensued.

Default character on crpgs is LG paladin tank if party based or stealthy CG rogue if solo.

Online, being a human chad paladin on WoW and lambasting everyone for their degenerate ways. Too many great reactions.
Chaotic good is a very popular alignment.
Always has been.

toiletwino

Literate
Codex Year of the Donut
- Neutral, cerebral, independent operator with Robinhood/vigilante motivations.

- Take points from barter/trade and put them into persuasion, charisma, diplomacy, or whatever unlocks the most dialogue and story options.

- Rogue-type combat, when necessary, emphasizing speed, stealth, precision.

- Character model/appearance a close match to one Monsieur Du Bois.

Krivol

Magister
Some years ago I tried Skyrim and decided to go with big, muscled Redguard named LaMar, who specialized in sneaking, stealing and assasinations. Got a lot of fun.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Nothing comes to mind except my original BG character and then the characters the games gave us. Geralt was probably the best. I'm currently trying a scenario out in my head on my second playhtough of Skyrim where Geralt retires there and gets a going away "present" from Regis that makes him a vampire. So he's weak to begin with and then moves onto that and becoming a werewolf. Unfortunately the mods wont allow it to hapen.
Yeah played Geralt about the same time that I discovered Roissy’s advice to treat chix you were into like your kid sister so the Ciri opening scenes played right into that.

The whole alpha thing gets overplayed but there’s a grain of truth to it and Geralt nails it pretty well. Probably accounts for a good bit of the game’s success.

The advice worked BTW so now have two boys begging me to play Wiz8 all the time. Big Mook fans.

Krivol

Magister

Funposter

Arcane
Some years ago I tried Skyrim and decided to go with big, muscled Redguard named LaMar, who specialized in sneaking, stealing and assasinations. Got a lot of fun.
You should do a George Floyd build.
Specialize in pickpocket, robbery and OD on skooma.
And when you die Spike Lee crowns you King.
I played this build before poor old George overdosed, so...
ovljUpP.png

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Dwarf cleric in the heaviest armor wielding the largest hammer.
That's me as well. Except i prefer the biggest axe instead of hammers.

9ODbz6G.png

Ops, sorry, wrong one.

enNS7OO.jpg

Damn, all the pictures of dwarfs i can find in a hurry have retarded armours and/or weapons. This one, believe it or not, is one of the better ones i've found.
I like how his helmet protects his mustache.

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected
I wanna play as an Elven bard called Elvish Presley, who buffs his party members with 50's Rock'n'Roll (and bangs hot wenches whenever possible)

6e25eaedde347daa2fd3bf5877458b8d.jpg

Alex

Arcane
Some of my favourite characters were:

• Waldemar. A Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay character, Waldemar was a bit of a bumpkin that came from Stirland. He had a heavy accent which was my attempt at emulating how peons in Warcraft II spoke. He started his career as a grave robber, but despite it he was mostly a good kid with some really dangerous notions of heroism and doing what is right. He travelled the old world with a few good companions, mostly trying to stop the forces of chaos from gaining the upper hand in the Enemy Within adventures. Trying being a keyword here. One of my favourite moments was sneaking away from the party while they were listening to an information dealer in an inn, grabbing a prisoner we had made and planned to torture for information and rushing for a temple of Shallya to ensure he would live. Somehow the party didn't even get that pissed off with him.
  • Rubèn Auberguini (or something like that). A deadlands scientist. He was born in Mexico, although his family had come from France and Spain. His backstory had him playing an important part in saving the life of Emperor Maximilian I from masonic conspirators (and explaining why he had 5 points in the money trait). He was really tall and lanky, but had a d4 as his strength dice, making for a bit of a silly character. He was supposed to look like "Jiraffales" from El Chavo del 8, if that helps. He was trying to get to Shan Fan where he had some contacts set up a new laboratory, and he hoped to put into practice his idea of hovering trains, which he hoped might help with the transport of ghost rock and make relations between the USA and Mexico better.
  • Thomas. An unblooded cleric of Haelyn in the Birthright setting. Thomas tried really hard to live up to the standards of his god, and hoped to convert some people in the far north where the game took place. Now that I think about it, he played a lot like Waldemar, except he was less naive. Had a lot of fun with him fighting against orcs and exploring a demonic mystery where the game took place. He took a bad hit once trying to save the party and was left with only 4 permanent hp, but got better once we got access to a high level spell.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I identify most with the tourist in Nethack.

-- Equipped with a camera, some little gold, and fucking clueless.

In Fallout and Fallout 2 I'd make a Kenshiro-ish character. Now I wasn't role playing as Kenshiro per se, (the dialogue options are too good in those Fallout games to not engage with) but I would make a character that could explode people with punches and could dodge point blank mini gun fire around the end. It was like I had a regular little Matrix character before The Matrix came out.

I also mostly play a fighter with greatsword on first play through. I like a neutral-aligned mercenary type who does things for the money and riches but slays also evil and likes exploring. Thief-skills and a bit of magic additionally in solo RPGs.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Firat playthrough is usually a chaotic neutral female archer ranger, with a special emphasis on fucking over the undeserving if it's funny to do so.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dwarven fighter holding axe and shield. Bonus points for shield bash. Mostly chaotic good. Always named Frost.

Sneaky ranged character that can end battles with alpha strikes or via help from traps and poisons. Named either Nemesis or Entreri (yeah yeah)

If it's a sci fi game, cybernatics, robotics, electronics all the way, they ain't call me Cyberarmy for nothing.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
If we talkin third person perspective full 3D in a kickass RPG game you know Imma make a hot bitch cuz of that eye candy. If not I make a chaotic evil half-orc warrior that can bitchslap manlet dwarfs and gnomes back to their mountain hidey holes before I take their shit.

NZ0N5u9.jpg

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected
Firat playthrough is usually a chaotic neutral female archer ranger, with a special emphasis on fucking over the undeserving if it's funny to do so.

(For D&D rulesets) How viable a longsword focused ranger -like Aragorn- ? Do you gimp yourself too much if you don't play the class bow-focused -like Robin Hood-?

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

(For D&D rulesets) How viable a longsword focused ranger -like Aragorn- ? Do you gimp yourself too much if you don't play the class bow-focused -like Robin Hood-?

If you want to play dude-with-sword and all you care about is battle efficiency go fighter.
Rangers and shmangers are just frills, no one can forbid a fighter to wear hood and sniff footprints to pretend he's tracking shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom