Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Who is your favorite BG2 romanceable character?

Who is your favorite BG2 romanceable character?

• Aerie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jaheira

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Anomen

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
this thread is painful to my eyes.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Heh!

Well...romance in BG is bearable, mainly because the few voice acting is far in between and actually done right...

take a Dragons Age for example....jesus christ that cheesy shit just made me squirm.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Romance would be a bad enough video game concept as is, but stupid emo lines popping out in the midst of any situation including "right before a big fight", really make it rage inducing.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Glory of Humankind said:
think the dialog in question comes down to a completely different issue: Imoen's sexuality, and how the mod handles it.

I'm going to state one thing right at the beginning, to avoid any gripes about it: canonically, Imoen is a lesbian.

What? Why? When? How!?

You remember that god-awful book that they let that guy publish for BG:SOA and TOB? That's officially licensed material, even if it sucks complete ass and never should have seen the light of day (and Lord Ernie, shame on you for giving it to me). In it, Imoen's gay.

But the debate comes in that, also canonically in that book, Minsc has hair, you can get it on with Bodhi, and Phaere is such a soft hearted romantic that she can't kill her human lesbian lover when the lover betrays her. Which is so very drow, don't you think? (/sarcasm) So most people prefer to think the book doesn't exist and, believe me, I'd like to, too.

Anyways.... so... Imoen's sexuality.

The question I see behind this argument is this: is Imoen the same person (with the same sexuality) in the male and female romance tracks, or is she a different person (with a different sexuality)?

If Imoen is bisexual/lesbian, but the PC is the one male character that, for some or another reason, she is fated to be with -- then I can imagine she would bring that up sooner or later. If you go date a bisexual girl in real life (assuming you're a man), sooner or later you'll hear about her ex-gf or crush on her female teacher or whatever. It's a part of the person's experience which they will, if they trust you, share with you eventually.

But, of course, Imoen is a computer-generated bunch of lines, not a "real" person. So, as a mod author, it's perfectly within my (or Mirrabbo's) power to say that when Imoen romances a male, she's 100% hetero and has never had the slightest interest in women, and when she's romancing a female, she's 100% gay and thinks all boys have cooties. Her sexuality simply *is different* depending on the romance.

By the same token, you could make an artistic decision and say that straight-Imoen is totally NOT interested in children (just as a facet of her personality), while gay-Imoen wants to adopt every orphan in Athkatla. Maybe straight-Imoen is a vegetarian but gay-Imoen's favorite food is a friend chicken. Straight-Imoen can never be corrupted; gay-Imoen can be. The list of possibilities goes on.

So the question becomes:

is there one Imoen, who stays the same regardless of who romances her? (In which case she might have THOUGHT she was a lesbian, but if she gets together with a male PC, she's technically bi, and such a dialog isn't *completely* out of place.)

Or are there two Imoen, who have various small differences in their backgrounds and personalities depending on if you're a male PC or a female PC?

I think the latter is an interesting option (it makes it very easy to distinguish the male/female romance paths!), but with one possible HUGE complication: if you have two different Imoens for male/female romance paths -- why not change her background or interests further to take into account if you're a mage or a ranger, or a human or a dwarf? Then you could add even MORE differentiation to the romance for each play through... and then the mod grows so huge that it never gets finished.

---
Oh, and P.S. I have to back Theacefes up on this one.

1) If someone misunderstands your posts or disagrees with it, that does not automatically make them an idiot, a moron, or anything else. It means they either misunderstood you or they disagree with you. Period. No need for insults.

2) Responding to someone who calls you an idiot with an accusation that they're a religious fanatic, also doesn't belong here. I personally don't see that Reaper's trying to "christianize" the mod, and I'm pretty darn sensitive about people trying to push their religion on me. So if *I* don't see it, it's probably just not there.

Annnnnnnd .... if anyone would like to start a further debate about "you suck! NO YOU SUCK!" or *any* debate about religion, that's what The Pit is for!

realize now that whoever wrote that book deserves a punch in the gut. Still, she should say something like,
player "since when were you a lesbian? When we were young you said you found some paladin who visited the keep [make up a name I guess or something TCDale] attractive."
"I guess no one could meet up to the standards of *you*, but you were my brother. When I realized no one was as perfect as you, I looked elsewhere..."

In this way, we compromise, she was straight, but there was no one like (Charname) so she goes lesbian and just kinda enjoys it. When she realizes she can have the perfect man, she takes her chance.

That dialogue should only be played on a male playthrough to make the player think this was meant for his character. Do NOT play around with 2 different Imoen's until you've finished the romance and want to work on Imoen 2.0

I say leave Imoen intact even for a male pc romance.

The entire premise of the mod is a bond that surmounts all other factors. If you can get past the whole siblings thing, the fact you can turn into a demon, and that most people are terrified of your parentage it seems a bit silly to suddenly draw up short because of some teen crush.

Sure if she was checking Jaheira out, borrowing Viconia's underwear, or luring Aerie out for midnight baths I might be a little concerned. Barring that I say no big deal.

The dream sequences take great care to show the love was there from an early age. Sure she might have dreamed about the half-elf but she loved the PC first and best. It was always there, it just took the seperation to reveal it.

GLUAH GLUAH GLUAH

'Tis truly inspiring

deus101

LOL!

Anyone read the novelization of Baldurs gate 2?

.....Lesbian Imoen with drow queen.

....Christ i want to shoot Philip Athnas.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I'd rather read Baldur's Gate novelization than play Baldur's Gate again. At least it has fun combat mechanics and isn't a genocide simulator.
Anyway, Baldur's Gate novelization seems to be strongly inspired by Conan. I liked it much more after reading Conan stories.

deus101

Awor Szurkrarz said:
I'd rather read Baldur's Gate novelization than play Baldur's Gate again. At least it has fun combat mechanics and isn't a genocide simulator.
Anyway, Baldur's Gate novelization seems to be strongly inspired by Conan. I liked it much more after reading Conan stories.

I don't get this.... paper cuts counts as combat mechanics?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom