Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Who here enjoys popamoles?

Do you love the popamole?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

baronjohn

Cipher
Be honest, do you enjoy popamoles? A popamole is a pseudorealistic linear cinematic manshooter with waves of enemies that spawn behind cover on a trigger (either once or until another trigger).

Games like Call of Doody, Bad Company 2, OFP: Red River, etc

Micmu

Magister
Fuck no.

I used to play them, as a kid, on those arcade machines with light guns.
The only difference was, the background was static and you couldn't look around in 3D.

I don't mind good popamole. Vanquish and (get this) Gears of War 2 both did the cover shooter pretty well, taking away the ability to stop and play whack-a-mole BUT WITH GUNZ, through good encounter design or, what was mostly the case with Vanquish, mechanics that made cover only a secondary element.

Linear, tightly scripted, "realistic", "cinematic" corridor FPS like Call of Duty or such...those I don't really dig too much.

Peter

Arcane
I probably wouldn't mind popamole if it hadn't somehow creeped into every video game released in the last couple of years. Games with shitty gunplay, like the GTA series, have actually benefited from it. Overall, though, no, I don't enjoy the popamoles, but largely because chances are that if a game has cover shooting, it is pretty shit to start with.

I guess I'm losing all my Kodex Kool Kredits now?

Zeus

Cipher
baronjohn said:
Be honest, do you enjoy popamoles? A popamole is a pseudorealistic linear cinematic manshooter with waves of enemies that spawn behind cover on a trigger (either once or until another trigger).

rpgc-princess-bride-think-it-means.jpg

Raapys

Arcane
I enjoy multiplayer in CoD Black Ops every now and then. Doesn't hold a candle to my good old CS, but it does help quench my multiplayer-fps urge. It's rather easy though, pretty much everyone playing it sucks.

ortucis

Prophet
I voted yes but there was no mention of Mass Effect & GOW in the OP's post. Bad Company like games aren't popamole.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
My experience with popamoles is just the Mass Effect series as the rest of them is normally confined to consoles so "no".

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I know that pop-a-mole was a term describing cover shooters, but can't it be describe as most games that qualifies for people thats into "pro gaming"

DriacKin

Arbiter
I'm somewhat ashamed to admit it, but I kinda enjoyed the Rainbow Six Vegas games -- guilty pleasures, I suppose.

Joghurt

Augur
deus101 said:
I know that pop-a-mole was a term describing cover shooters, but can't it be describe as most games that qualifies for people thats into "pro gaming"

Don't really understand what you mean here. By saying "pro gaming" you mean games like Counter-Strike or Quake 3 for example? Fuck no CS is not popamole. It's opposite of popamole because it's pretty much based on reflexes and precise aiming in the head. Q3 is even more based on reflexes. Probably the twitchiest game ever. That's no popamole.

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, CS was anything but popamole. Granted, they did make it more popamole over time by limiting player speed and implenting the whole spray-and-pray thing, but originally it was all about aiming and dodging.

ChristofferC

Magister
I only ever tried two popamole shooters and those were AP and ME2. Couldn't stomach more than an hour or so for each game.

ChristofferC

Magister
Btw I wouldn't consider ME1 popamole because you don't have to use the cover mechanic a single time in that game.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hell I don't mind popamoles as they are fun enough in a fast food way when you just want to blast some fuckers to unwind and the experience barely lasts for 4 hours at best, so no great investment. Of course it helps that I NEVER pay for the privilege of playing such stuff and if 'they' stopped making them and concentrated on quality I wouldn't shed a tear, but having said that, one or two throwaway COD style games a year wouldn't be a problem.

To rile up Skyway I have to say that I'm enjoying OFP:RR at the moment; shitty AI and linearity et al. It's better than DR because it's lost that pretentiousness that it's more than what it is. It's now happy as a GRAW type of checkpoint spawn semi-'complex' shooter and is all the better for it. Reviews tend to be shit, but the game is no worse than the GRAW games which everyone beat off to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom