Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Who hates programming?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I do.
Just fixed a longstanding problem of corruption on shutdown (as i thought) that actually was a missing lock on construction of a GUI element on the subsequent startup (that left something null, that threw a exception). Funny thing is that every object used was started in the GUI thread, so threading problems shouldn't have occurred so soon. Maybe something screwy inside the classes of the framework.

:killit:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I'm a computer science major but I hate programming and I'm not even good at it. I view it as a means to an end; if I can get the games I want to make functioning at least half-way decently, then I've succeeded. I don't think I'm ever going to be that great at it and I may not even have a job in the field.

I've noticed you seem to be spiteful about programming! What's your deal? Why do you hate it so much? I don't like it because I'm bad at it but you seem to have an actual grudge against it.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I enjoy programming well enough.

Now, programming using only notepad++ is fucking shit. Did it once, made me a better programmer, but LOL at anyone that ever considers not using something like Microsoft Visual Studios or something to help you check your errors.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I've noticed you seem to be spiteful about programming! What's your deal? Why do you hate it so much? I don't like it because I'm bad at it but you seem to have an actual grudge against it.
I'm butthurt about the way that 'standard' libraries never evolve and bug and workarounds and shit design stays and ossifies.

DONNNNNNNNNNT BE A PUSSSSSSSY LIBRARIES GUYSSSS (as in Python 3)

Also, wtf are people still using C as the systems language. FUCK. A language where % (and 40 other things) are 'implementation defined'. Type system where char defined to be the 'smallest type in the runtime'. Doesn't have strings. Where preprocessors double compilation time and can cause moronic bugs like
I_USE_MACROS_LIKE_A_MORON(p++,p++)
Where you invariably can't make useful IDE's due to the aforementioned preprocessor (let's not even mention C++)

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKK YOU!!!! (not you)

I also hate the way domain-specific libraries could actually be open source and a useful shared resource, but no one even thinks of sharing or designing stuff so it is reusable by others. And if they DO use it, no one ever pushes the (useful) changes upstream.
For instance, wouldn't you like the KotC rules to be black-boxed ('interfaced') so you could use them over any grid?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I hate only that it gets so damn addicting. I still get immense kicks making something in a program work in a spectacular way, otherwise I would have chosen the wrong profession. But once I get really deep into programming, it is like 99.9% of my other mental functions are switched off, and I cannot stop. When I have programs running through my head 24h, even while I ride a car or a bicycle, I know I have to take some weeks off and do only mundane stuff.

I do hate certain IDEs, where you have too many options that no one understands without years of experience. C/CPP code can be a real bitch some times, that's why I would choose only stuff that is homogenous and reliable, and creates no mysterious runtime errors, I try out code patterns and backend functionality that can be reused 1000s of times, test deployment on different OSs / computers, before I start any real work.

The reason that most real stuff still uses C/CPP is that it works well, and programs are responsive and fast.

Notorious

Augur
I started drinking because of it (no joke).

So whenever I see a game designer listed in the credits I'm like o_O

And whenever I see a programmer I just can't help myself but to :salute:

I feel your pain programmers you make this shit happening, without you there would be no games, fuck everyone who doesn't appreciate you. Fuck them hard.

DakaSha

Arcane
Now that I'm learned enough to call it second nature (not that I'm a great programmer yet.. it just comes natural to write code) I can honestly say I enjoy it immensely. I think I enjoy the coding part as much as the designing part.

Of course i can get fed up when things don't go as I wish but this happens less and less as time goes by.

I am actually my own biggest enemy. I get extremely OCD about some things which can lead me to rewriting code over and over but meh.. usually i learn something in the process.

Having said all of this I have never had to actually work for somebody or on a deadline.. I can imagine this being a great deal more frustrating if I did.
I am starting college soon and am taking computer science into consideration. Maybe ill get a taste of the bullshit then ;)

Wavinator

Educated
I don't hate it, exactly, but it's definitely just a means to an end. I care more about the design stuff than the bits & bytes, but I'm way too much of a troglodyte to build a team to help with the shit work.

When coding's about doing something I've never done before it's sweet. I've been working on a 2d procedurally generated space RPG (for an embarrassingly long time) and initially there were plenty of 3AM, hunched over the laptop "it's alive!" moments to power me through. Now it's a lot of slog and plenty of "wtf?!" moments as I deal with my own stupid mistakes, lazy implementation and the consequences of choosing Torque as my middleware.

That said, I haven't been beaten down yet enough to despise it. Give it a few more years yet...

J1M

Arcane
I don't hate programming. I hate certain programming tools. That can include languages.

I recall reading an article that said something to the effect of "anyone who doesn't hate programming is not a true programmer".

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It depends a lot on context.

Generally speaking, I love programming, I do it as a hobby.
I just like making things, and even with programming that's one of the best pleasures to be had/

But if faced with certain languages (eg, Java), certain styles and formats, or certain libraries (eg BOOST), I detest it.
I wouldn't touch the code if I could help it, since I wouldn't want to deal with the associated language/tool/style/library.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I recall reading an article that said something to the effect of "anyone who doesn't hate programming is not a true programmer".
I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

Personally, I'm very indifferent towards programming which makes me a very poor programmer.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
My enjoyment of programming is inversely proportional to the amount of the code I'm working with that was developed by indians. I use the word "develop" in the loosest possible sense here.

Sounds like a terrible pretentious article if you ask me
Sounds like an opinion that becomes an ideology. Nothing wrong with it as long as the product is good.

Take it to mean that programming is something you have to do to get what you want: a result. Bad programmers love writing code endlessly. Good programmers hate wasting their time, which ultimately makes them better because programming is about saving you time. And when you get to debugging, the complexity rises exponentially with the # of lines of code involved.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Laziness is the first virtue of a programmer. The less effort you and the computer expend to complete a job, the better.

racofer

Thread Incliner
I enjoy programming well enough.

Now, programming using only notepad++ is fucking shit. Did it once, made me a better programmer, but LOL at anyone that ever considers not using something like Microsoft Visual Studios or something to help you check your errors.
:bro:

DakaSha

Arcane

Sounds like a terrible pretentious article if you ask me
Sounds like an opinion that becomes an ideology. Nothing wrong with it as long as the product is good.

Take it to mean that programming is something you have to do to get what you want: a result. Bad programmers love writing code endlessly. Good programmers hate wasting their time, which ultimately makes them better because programming is about saving you time. And when you get to debugging, the complexity rises exponentially with the # of lines of code involved.

I actually cant argue with hat.. however i do think its poorly worded :P
Just like with anything else I think the people that get very good at it are the ones that actually enjoy it.

DakaSha

Arcane
I just hated programming while spending 2 1/2 searching for a bug which was nothing more then me using the wrong reference due to a single underscore (graphic as opposed to graphic_)..
Of course I can only blame myself for using such a shitty naming convention

Destroid

Arcane
Well, I'm programming in earnest now (in AS3) and finding it very enjoyable. But I'm very much in the learning stages, with a new language and OOP.

EG

Nullified
While I enjoy programming itself, what I hate is my own ignorance of its nuances, such as building a decent state machine, or ensuring security of objects.

Fuckin' design patterns . . . How do they work?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The way i deal with with concurrency 'guarantees' is to make the object graph readonly from the outside and related information that changes gets aggregated into a single object that is atomically updated by the producer thread. Consumer threads get a 'view', possibly outdated but consistent of the the state. If they then get a new 'view' and use both with probably conflicting information it's their own damn fault!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom