Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which version was the best Sim City?

xedoc gpr

Scholar
I heard that Sim City Societies sucked and that Sim City 4 was a mess.

?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I thought 3000 was a solid update to 2000.

xedoc gpr

Scholar
I'm playing Sim City 3000 and it has been pretty enjoyable so far. I'm just wondering if there's something "better" since I heard the sequels sucked.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
I thought 3000 was a solid update to 2000.

You hit the nail on the head. Other than that, they even dared to remove the editor. Two blasphemies not to remain unpunished.

LaDoushe

Scholar
I vote 3k. Although building the no-roads city in SC1 was pretty exciting...

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I prefered the original SimCity to the 2000 edition because in the first game I actually understood what I was doing. And I always thought pipelines were working wrong in 2000.

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
SimCity 3000. I never figured out how to get people moving into my city in 2k for some reason. Provided almost everything required, zoned light residential but still no house would be built. Sim City 4 is pretty good as well, it seems the most logical & complex of all the SCs.

Gildamere

Novice
Wilco said:
Sim City 4 is pretty good as well, it seems the most logical & complex of all the SCs.

I recently bought SC4 Deluxe and first thought it sucked, especially because of those stupid "missions". Good thing you can disregard them without adverse consequences.

After I thoroughly played the tutorials I must say that it is indeed logical and complex. I still fail to get the whole picture but in terms of enjoyment it is equal to 3000 (my actual favorite SC).

For the first time you can actuallyhave a farming community and there's an easy to see connection between health/education and industrial growth. Plus the demands are more transparent.

On the downside, SC4 starts in the year 2000 apparently with all the technology available, once you meet certain demands (minimum population, etc.) and you can't auto-generate the terrain, which sucks, because I don't have the time and motivation to model the environment before starting the actual city (or did I just miss the option?).

Shoelip

Arbiter
I loved building cities to fly around in Sim Copter, so 2000 was my favorite. I hardly played 3000 and don't know what happened to my disc. I don't think I ever played 4.

Comrade Hamster

Liturgist
SimCity 2000 was by far the best, even without all the silly tie-in games. SimCity 3000 wasn't too shabby either, though it was a mixed bag - it made changes that I liked, and changes that I disliked.

However, I think that the shining Sim games of that time period were SimIsle and SimFarm. SimFarm was a guilty pleasure, but SimIsle had the most depth out of any Maxis game I've played. Not only do you have to hire and pay agents to do your bidding, instead of directing all the action immediately yourself, but I also enjoyed the strong consequence system and interplay of elements, whether you decide to tree hug, rape the local natural resources and villagers for all they're worth, or act somewhere in between.

In no other game have I been able to exploit native villagers for unskilled labor, so I can exploit their local natural resources, thereby allowing me to further develop my population centers, which are then exploited for skilled labor for my high-tech processing and manufacturing plants, where all those resources I've pillaged go to work and grease the wheels of an expanding economy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom