Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which strategy RPG should I buy?

Ebonsword

Arcane
While I'm waiting for my deluxe edition of Dust Tactics to arrive, I thought I'd while away the hours playing a skirmish-level strategy game on one of the myriad game consoles I own (PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Gamecube, and Dreamcast).

I'm looking for a more "simulationist" (for want of a better word) game, by which I mean the rules are attempting to somewhat simulate reality instead of being ridiculously arbitrary. For example, I tried Disgaea and utterly hated the stupid way you had to stack characters up or use characters to throw other characters--made it feel more like a puzzle game than a tactics game. Goofy combo systems are also right out.

I'm thinking I'd prefer something more sci-fi than fantasy, but I wouldn't rule fantasy out completely.

Turn-based combat is an absolute must, of course.

Operation: Darkness looks pretty sweet, but I've heard that it's fairly disappointing in play.

The Front Mission games look interesting, but I'm not sure where to start (not sure I could stomach PS1 graphics).

Also, I've already played Final Fantasy Tactics and La Pucelle.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ebonsword said:
While I'm waiting for my deluxe edition of Dust Tactics to arrive, I thought I'd while away the hours playing a skirmish-level strategy game on one of the myriad game consoles I own (PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Gamecube, and Dreamcast).

I'm looking for a more "simulationist" (for want of a better word) game, by which I mean the rules are attempting to somewhat simulate reality instead of being ridiculously arbitrary. For example, I tried Disgaea and utterly hated the stupid way you had to stack characters up or use characters to throw other characters--made it feel more like a puzzle game than a tactics game. Goofy combo systems are also right out.

I'm thinking I'd prefer something more sci-fi than fantasy, but I wouldn't rule fantasy out completely.

Turn-based combat is an absolute must, of course.

Operation: Darkness looks pretty sweet, but I've heard that it's fairly disappointing in play.

The Front Mission games look interesting, but I'm not sure where to start (not sure I could stomach PS1 graphics).

Also, I've already played Final Fantasy Tactics and La Pucelle.

If you have a PS2 that can play burnt games then there is a fan translated version of Front Mission 5 that is out that is pretty dam good.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Strategy RPGs? Thats a new one for me. Or perhaps the meaning of 'strategy' recently changed or something. 'Tactical' seems more accurate.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Malakal said:
Strategy RPGs? Thats a new one for me. Or perhaps the meaning of 'strategy' recently changed or something. 'Tactical' seems more accurate.

"Tactical" probably is more accurate, but I've usually seen them referred to as strategy RPGs (or SRPGs).

Wikipedia tries to pretend that they're called tactical RPGs, but I've never actually heard anyone use that term.

Ebonsword

Arcane
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together.

I see a "Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together" for the PSP, but not for any system I own.

The PS1 has a game just called "Tactics Ogre"--is that the same game?

Apollion

Scholar
Ebonsword said:
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together.

I see a "Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together" for the PSP, but not for any system I own.

The PS1 has a game just called "Tactics Ogre"--is that the same game?

Yep, and whoa, I had no idea they were making a PSP remake. One thing though, unless you have a PC that can handle PS1 emulation, forget about it, decent copies of Tactics Ogre usually go for a few hundred dollars.

kris

Arcane
Ebonsword said:
Malakal said:

"Tactical" probably is more accurate, but I've usually seen them referred to as strategy RPGs (or SRPGs).

Wikipedia tries to pretend that they're called tactical RPGs, but I've never actually heard anyone use that term.

That is because the creators and possibly most the players have no idea what those terms mean.

Mortmal

Arcane
I sugggest you to play fire emblem on the gamecube too, you probably already had, they are very ppular.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom