Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPGs have the most sword-and-sorcery feel?

wyes gull

Savant
The vibe of this thread reminds me of a mod for the original Mount & Blade called Wedding Dance. Give it a go if you want to find out what it's like to be charged at by 150 naked men with raging boners.

vazha

Arcane
If Mount & Blade mods count, then there is Prophecy of Pendor, which has brilliant S & S atmosphere (low magic, obviously) and even has a Conan-inspired NPC Warlord you can fight and defeat (Wulfbode or somesuch iirc). It has also bunch of other great stuff in it, and is by far closest to a story-based rpg that M & B has ever come to. Pity the original creators has abandoned it, as there was a talk of brand new version with a new (!) continent and factions

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Prophecy of Pendor

Way too epic. Plus it's got Noldor out the ass.

noldor.jpg

They also fire bows like machine guns so their arrows blot out the sky.

Darkzone

Arcane
Original Gary Gygax thought about D&D more as a Sword and Sorcery game, but was convinced to include magicians.

Darkzone

Arcane
Got something for ya, appropriate soundtrack

Gods-of-war-Cover.JPG
I began to listen to Manowar some 30 years ago, but they lost me after the "The Triumph of Steel" album, as i have ventured forth more to M-Death, Death Doom and Gothic Metal. From times to times i still like to listen to some of their hits and if i play a racing game i obligatory listen to "Wheels of Fire". And i also liked their album covers of "Kings of Metal" and "Triumph of Steel", because the hero looks like me. Nevertheless thank you for the hint and since i haven't listen to their "Gods of War" album this could be a good occasion to do it.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Its a side scroller hack & slash, but its got item use and a xp/level system/basic stats

nA7kran.jpg

Well, if we're talking non-RPGs, there's also the Conan game for the Xbox 360.

They did a pretty good job of capturing the atmosphere, but the gameplay I found got repetitive quite quickly.

But, man, I really long for a good CRPG that captures the Conan vibe. Sadly, it will probably never happen with today's SJW gaming industry---well, unless the Japanese manage to do it.

Since a few nonRPGs have been suggested, I wish to give a mention to a favorite of my youth, Rastan. It always got first crack at my quarters when I would hit the skating rink.

655199-rastan-arcade-screenshot-waterfall.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom