Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPG has the deepest, most fun tactical combat you have ever seen? (presumably TB)

Ladonna

Arcane
Every encounter is only against one type of enemy, and they are all melee type enemies.

I thought some of the enemies used bows, and the giants/ettins could throw boulders?

Anyway, it's been a long time since I played it, so I might be forgetting.

The encounter design isn't the best, missions using the combat map movement are tedious in the extreme, and different weapon types didn't have trainers, leaving you with a problem if you picked the "wrong" weapons. In spite of this, the combat system itself is fun once you get into it, and the battles can be nail biting affairs. It was basically one guys pen and paper system written into a computer game. There were planned expansions for it, but due to poor sales it didn't go anywhere.

The manual is a real monster, with a complete history written in, along with a story for each character class you can use in the game, and countless other bits and pieces. A fold out map is also included. It is one of the final games from Origins 8 bit golden age, before the coming of Ultima VI and beyond.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Every encounter is only against one type of enemy, and they are all melee type enemies.

I thought some of the enemies used bows, and the giants/ettins could throw boulders?

Anyway, it's been a long time since I played it, so I might be forgetting.
Me too.
But maybe I should have said they are all physical fighter types.

I've gone back to replaying some of the games I played about ten years ago, but I'm afraid KoL is not one that tempts me in that regard.
It's a shame not more was made out the game. With better everythgthing but the combat system and the graphics, a great game could have been made, I think.

Jason Liang

Arcane
For fun,

Dragonfall
Sengoku Rance
Rance X

For tactical,

Battletech (HBS) with BEX

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Is Darklands combat any good? I bought it on steam sales but haven't played yet.
Some systems and ideas are very good but overall? Unfortunately not. Sad because i liked a few things. The system of armor vs weapon piercing vs quality was very well designed. I also liked how those very early firearms worked in a realistic way - relatively strong but so slow reload that only one shot was practical. I liked the fact that the combat wasn't so "high fantasy", no overpowered magic, fantastic creatures are very rare and thematic. Last but not least, Darklands is the one of the (few) CRPG with RTwP combat where the speed was well suited for the its complexity of combat (combined with bad interface). You could fight the battles without pausing every 3 seconds like in some other games with RTwP combat if you want to use all the options.
Darklands' combat however, other than a few good things I mentioned, was clunky, didn't offer much tactical options, was too easy most of the time and looked only so-so even back then as well. Very sad, this game had so much potential. One of the few historical-(with-fantasy-elements) game out there. And arguably one with the best atmosphere. Someone should remake it - but i don't mean Firaxis or any big studio, more like GOOD indie project.

As to OP, in no particular order:
KotC 1
KotC 2
Jagged Alliance 2
TOEE

and Battle Brothers if eligible.

Roguelikes or Underrail and so on are out of the competition because single character always loses with party when it comes to combat being deep and tactical. Similar thing with blobbers.

Last edited:

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Dark Sun games have enjoyable tb combat but not as tactical as kotc1 or Toee for example. I like to solo dark sun games since you can create powerful multi or triple classed demi humans but what might be more challenging would be to do a run with a full party and no multi classing though the last battle of shattered lands is a rather large difficulty spike relative to the rest of the game and some players think certain party combinations will find it very tough/impossible.

In crpgs in general, you might have fewer options in combat with only 1 character but it can still be a fun challenge.

Guild Wars 1 needs a mention. Though it only really gets tactical in PvP, in PvE its more about managing your team build and knowing areas/enemies which is more strategic than tactical.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
In terms of recent releases I thought the King Arthur game was quite good and a lot of fun. Definitively one of the best especially if you don't consider strict tactical games like JA2 as rpgs. Speaking of, my preference these days has been on the side of AoW, although I unfortunately didn't like 4 that much. I think Planetfall has some of the best tactical combat you could think of, but the strategy side is rather tedious.

Roguelikes or Underrail and so on are out of the competition because single character always loses with party when it comes to combat being deep and tactical. Similar thing with blobbers.

I would agree but still make an exception for ToME. It has some of the best single-character tactical scenarios, I think. Certainly a lot more layered than a lot of other titles.

Mentions of Silent Storm remind me of the time where I played it on a toaster. It was one of the early levels. I was infiltrating some sort of building and said building had a fuel/gas container inside of it. An enemy was behind a window, so I tried to aim at him with a sniper. The sniper missed the guy, but hit the container. I hear a loud BOOM, my laptop froze for like 10 seconds or so, and then the house was on fire.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I see a thread for retarded peasants that don't play any games but want to larp as intelligent....sad. TB is the lowest level of a combat complexity a game could have. People thinking that TB games are for intellectuals and only smart people could see their complexity.....are inferior old retards. That said it is pretty sad how most people just spam the few generic old games they heard that are "complex" , which clearly shows that they are mostly larper faggots that don't play games anymore.

Top tier combat TB game for me is The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos,the combat is on different level compared to the most old garbo people hype in here.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Top tier combat TB game for me is The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos,

The Amulet of the Brain Damaged retard

the combat is on different level

AHAHAHAHAAHA

That game has okay combat but you bum never tried any "old garbo" to even know what another level means, you tardo
Yeah,clearly you are a braindead idiot that could not tolerate anything that would need more than two brain cells. Nothing beats a generic DnD hack and slash when it comes to complexity lol. You are like a burger muncher extraordinary that mocks fit people for being dumb to spend their time being fit. All you could do is praise the two mediocre games you had played and bitch about how the rest are shit,what a pathetic mujik.

luj1 might be the biggest idiot on this site if he thinks KotC and ToEE can hold a fucking candle to Battle Brothers. Then again, he might be the biggest idiot here regardless. :lol:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
@luj1 might be the biggest idiot on this site if he thinks KotC and ToEE can hold a fucking candle to Battle Brothers

You are saying shitty random nonsense

In BB gear wins battles... you lose mercs and just re-equip them. Fun game but not so deep, just bloated with subsystems

vazha

Arcane
1. Battle Brothers
2. Dungeon Rats
3. KOTC 2 which loses out to the first two in terms of presentation & aesthetic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom