Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPG has the deepest, most fun tactical combat you have ever seen? (presumably TB)

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Going with KotC 2

ToEE close second as it's gridless (decline)

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
bro do you even centauri alliance and its weird hex grid with holes?

centauri.png

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
or these two games also have some nice pnp combat with 1e/2e ogl rules.

i am focusing on the more fun (for me so fuck you) aspect here

Geckabor

Savant
Gonna have to go with Battle Brothers. A lot of good systems (armor, morale, injuries, AP) combined with high lethality makes for combat that feels amazing. Also the audiovisual aspects are so underrated in this game. Every blow also just looks and sounds impactful, even though the devs weren't working with much of a budget.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Incursion, I think. For all that it's a buggy unfinished mess, having a game that models size, various types of difficult terrain like vegetation, ice, cramped tunnels, climbing on walls and ceilings, all the good stuff from 3rd edition DnD plus a complex pantheon with piety rewards from the storm god for killing people suddenly, or with lightning, and especially both at once etc. Party dynamics, partial identification of potential enemies based on knowledge skills (you can see it's a cleric of some sort, but not the race; you can see it's an air genasi, but not the class, etc.) xp rewards for stealthing past enemies and stealing their loot... damn shame the game was never finished.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Although these games contain quick trash fights which are really nothing to talk about, the relevant fights in Labyrinth Touhou 1 & 2 are insanely fun, which is even crazier given the number of limitations like no positioning, at most 4 different moves per characters, at most 3 enemies in a fight ...

Borelli

Arcane
Incursion, I think. For all that it's a buggy unfinished mess, having a game that models size, various types of difficult terrain like vegetation, ice, cramped tunnels, climbing on walls and ceilings, all the good stuff from 3rd edition DnD plus a complex pantheon with piety rewards from the storm god for killing people suddenly, or with lightning, and especially both at once etc. Party dynamics, partial identification of potential enemies based on knowledge skills (you can see it's a cleric of some sort, but not the race; you can see it's an air genasi, but not the class, etc.) xp rewards for stealthing past enemies and stealing their loot... damn shame the game was never finished.
So much this. Even when playing a fighter without a party there are so many tactical options, you never feel like your every turn is "i hit them with my sword".
The game houserules dnd 3.5 just enough to make it fit a single character roguelike.

Otherwise my vote is for ToEE.

biffthestiff

Educated
For most funnest I'm gonna go with Silent Storm Sentinels.
I've never played Silent Storm, WW2 is just SO FUCKING BOOORIIIING for non-westerners. It's the worst of all game settings, always an instant skip for me. That goes for TV/movies too. (exception for Inglorious Bastards, but if you remove Christopher Walz's character it was the worst Tarantino movie).

But IIRC even when it came out it only got like 7-8/10 in reviews. So why is a Tier B game being considered the most fun battle system? If it's so good why haven't any other games copied it since?

biffthestiff

Educated
But IIRC even when it came out it only got like 7-8/10 in reviews. So why is a Tier B game being considered the most fun battle system?
Gaming journalists are retards. Also I suspect you pulled this number directly out of your ass.
If it's so good why haven't any other games copied it since?
They wish they could, but they can't. :obviously:

Seems like my ass knows more than your brain. SS has 82% on Gamerankings (the Metacritic of 2003), 81% for Sentinel.

Even back in those days, few were impressed.

If the combat was that good someone else would've copied it into a generic Tolkienesque fantasy setting, which is still less boring than WW2 as a setting.

Seems like my ass knows more than your brain. SS has 82% on Gamerankings (the Metacritic of 2003), 81% for Sentinel.
Judging a game by the critics score is retarded, you could use a userscore as a reference point, if a game has very low userscore is probably not worth trying it, but no score is 100% reliable. Silent Storm has high userscore in Gamefaqs, GOG, Steam and Metacritic. Usually, GOG users have better taste than others sites and stores, and Silent Storm is one of the highest rated games there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom