Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which rpg had the best graphics?

DriacKin

Arbiter
Vampire: Bloodlines
gsvvsmallerrb1.png

LittleJoe

Arbiter
It's a no brainer that the best graphics belong to the more recent RPG's such as Oblivion,
Mass Effect, and Fallout 3, since that, apparently is their main objective.
On the other hand, they all fail to deliver the most important element to an RPG gamer, which is good gameplay.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Jasede said:
I think Lands of Lore is my favorite though, it pulls off 320x240 like nothing I've ever seen.
I see your Lands Of Lore and raise you a

heroes002.png

Damn, HoMM looks good. Finest 2D graphics ever.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
HoMM used to look so goddamn fucking gorgeous up until part V. I liked the looks of all of them, even HoMM4. They were all so magical. But HoMM 5 with its too bright and colorful [colorful in the OH GOD IT HURTS MY EYES way instead of the magical fairytale colorful that the previous games had] graphics didn't have that charme.

Another example of 2D >>> 3D

Wyrmlord

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Not that I disagree, but I think it's more of a proof that turn-based strategy games and certain other specific genres are just meant to be in 2D.

Terrain destruction is just simpler and more understandable for the player in 2D perspective, for example

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wyrmlord said:
JarlFrank said:
Not that I disagree, but I think it's more of a proof that turn-based strategy games and certain other specific genres are just meant to be in 2D.

Terrain destruction is just simpler and more understandable for the player in 2D perspective, for example

It's not just about how the perspective is easier to understand for TBS, it's also about how the 2D looked more aesthetic and mystical in the previous games than the 3D in the new one.

BearBomber

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
HoMM used to look so goddamn fucking gorgeous up until part V. I liked the looks of all of them, even HoMM4. They were all so magical. But HoMM 5 with its too bright and colorful [colorful in the OH GOD IT HURTS MY EYES way instead of the magical fairytale colorful that the previous games had] graphics didn't have that charme.

I agree. When I look at the new games like HoMM5 or Kings Bounty the Legend I can't say anything wrong about the graphic. It seems fine, good, but it lack something. I just fell that it have no soul.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Major_Boobage said:
The only problem is ofcourse that HOMM games are not RPG's so i dont really know why we are posting them in a thread called best rpg gfx.
It was made by developers who had made nothing but RPGs before it, and HoMM itself is a spinoff of a RPG series.

And this was another series with great 2D graphics.

World%2BOf%2BXeen_2.png

Relayer71

Liturgist
Baldur's Gate II still looks great. IWD 2's graphcs were probably a bit better, cleaner but still not as varied as BG2.

Artistically, Planescape: Torment and Morrowind are still some of the most unique and intriguing looking RPGs ever made.

And Temple Of Elemental Evil was fucking gorgeous at times.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Major_Boobage said:
The only problem is ofcourse that HOMM games are not RPG's so i dont really know why we are posting them in a thread called best rpg gfx.
OMG, Thread Derail!

Texas Red

Whiner
JarlFrank said:

The retarded camera. In HoMM 4 you had PERFECTLY well proportioned, realistic creatures. In HoMM 5 you have the usual shit that comes with 3D and strategy games: hands the size of 3 heads and general cartoonishness which is often called "art style".

Silellak

Cipher
Something with bloom. In the end, that's all that really matters.

For 2D, I'd say something in the Infinity Engine. Especially with the high resolution mods. I don't think that particular engine has ever been surpassed in the realm of 2D RPGs.

JRPG-wise, my favorite always has and always will be Chrono Trigger.

3D is trickier. Mass Effect was very nice at times, but somewhat bland at others. Same with NWN2 - it CAN be pretty, under the right circumstances and with the right art direction - such as running MotB on a good computer. Lazarus was alright looking, though obviously the DS engine is dated - the most impressive thing about it is the lack of any loading screens.

I will admit to being impressed by the SCALE of Fallout 3 and even Oblivion - the environmental graphics at time can be impressive and quite immersive. But then you get near an NPC and the illusion collapses.

Unfortunately, no 3D RPGs have really stuck out in my mind as being truly exceptional in the graphics department. I still prefer the best 2D graphics to anything 3D graphics have come up with thus far.

1eyedking

Erudite
Dark Individual said:
In HoMM 5 you have the usual shit that comes with 3D and strategy games: hands the size of 3 heads and general cartoonishness which is often called "art style".
Shit, do I hate that crap, but there's tons of 2D games where that happens as well.

Phelot

Arcane
Like others have said, Morrowind had great art... really creative stuff.

Bloodlines has really great detail. All the little posters and magazines etc. It really does something for a game when you can just stop and actually get entertainment by reading shit on the walls.

IWD and IWD2 had really great art, I'd say far better then BG. Perhaps because there were less screens, they were better able to focus on quality.

At first I didn't like Torment's art. It was almost uncomfortable, but it grew on me and now I consider it some of the best.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Silellak said:
I will admit to being impressed by the SCALE of Fallout 3 and even Oblivion - the environmental graphics at time can be impressive and quite immersive. But then you get near an NPC and the illusion collapses.

Meh, I dunno about Fallout 3, but the Gothic games are also pretty vast when it comes to their landscapes, and they are also a lot more interesting than Oblivion. Gothic was one of the very few games in which I was *scared* to venture into a forest, even at a moderate level.
Same with Morrowind, its 'scale' was actually a lot 'bigger' than Oblivion even though the world was smaller (I think), because in Oblivion you walk through a totally bland forest... and walk... and walk... and walk... until you reach a totally bland road and walk some more, while in Morrowind there's a change in the views nearly every five minutes.

In other words, Oblivion is planting a 2x2 tiles forest, clicking it and stretching to 200000x200000 to achieve its 'grand size'.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The graphics in Ultima Underworld was almost perfect and the best of pre 3D acceleration, both technically and artistically. Of the newer I like VtM and I like the style in ToEE but they're both not without flaw.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom