Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which PC RPGs of 2009 and 2010 have you played? [top 100 voting thread]

Which of the following RPGs have you played?

• Avernum 6 (2009)

Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Inquisitor (2009)

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • King's Bounty: Armored Princess (2009)

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • Knights of the Chalice (2009)

Votes: 42 40.8%
  • Neverwinter Nights 2: Mysteries of Westgate (2009)

Votes: 31 30.1%
  • Neverwinter Nights Vault of Games (2006-present)

Votes: 20 19.4%
  • Torchlight (2009)

Votes: 57 55.3%
  • A Farewell to Dragons (2010)

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Din's Curse (2010)

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • Drakensang: The River of Time (2010)

Votes: 43 41.7%
  • Eschalon book 2 (2010)

Votes: 24 23.3%
  • King's Bounty: Crossworlds (2010)

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Mount & Blade: Warband (2010)

Votes: 49 47.6%
  • Nehrim: At Fate's Edge (2010)

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • Ultima 6 Project (2010)

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • Swords & Sorcery: Underworld (2010)

Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Chaos Conspiracy

Votes: 5 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I voted for two titles: Torchlight and Eschalon: Book 2.

(Also, I recognize that the OP does not have his shit together when it comes to RPGs and their release dates, but I'll entertain him this time.)

Torchlight is an alright Action-RPG. Has its faults, but is still enjoyable. I liked the "build up yer gems!"-aspect of slotted items-gameplay, to the point that I was sad to see it not present in the sequel. :/

Eschalon Book 2 was a logical successor to its prequel: More of the same, with sensible additions. If you liked Eschalon Book 1, you will love Eschalon Book 2. Unfortunately Eschalon Book 3 goes a long way towards destroying the entire series, so I have little reason to recommend the series to anyone.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was actually really surprised fewer people played MoW than say Inquisitor. It was a pretty good module. I don't think it was in the platinum edition, it is in the complete edition though.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
New Vegas is missing.

Multi-platform game... For fuck's sake... we do this on every list...

The first stage of polling is for PC exclusive games. That's the rule for this stage of polling. Multi-platform games will get their own poll at a later date.

Same rules as before, this time for 2009 and 2010.

Do try to keep up...

You better follow your own rules faggot: Torchlight is on XBOX 360.

High faggot. I do follow my own rules, shame you haven't a fucking clue what they are...

[quest compass - it was a PC exclusive for approximately 18 months when it was released and received a console port at a much later date]

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
(Also, I recognize that the OP does not have his shit together when it comes to RPGs and their release dates, but I'll entertain him this time.)

Eschalon Book 2 was a logical successor to its prequel: More of the same, with sensible additions. If you liked Eschalon Book 1, you will love Eschalon Book 2. Unfortunately Eschalon Book 3 goes a long way towards destroying the entire series, so I have little reason to recommend the series to anyone.

If you have an issue with a release date of a game, you go right ahead and provide citation...

Not liking a sequel as a reason to not to recommend a game is quite possibly one of the most retarded things I have ever heard in my life. So you wouldn't recommend Fallout because Fallout 3 was (supposedly) crap? Yo-ho-ho, what a mind you have...

laclongquan

Arcane
Mysteries of Westgate require you jumping through quite a few holes to activate it. I nearly give it up.

MoW is the illustrated reason why official paid mods just doesnt pay in term of drawing players. Either you make a new full game (aka Hammer Sickle for Silent Storm) or a full expansion (motb, soz). Not that half ass pay to activate mods.

laclongquan

Arcane
Modders didn't fix it?
From what i remember it was made by moders ,or something like that.
IIRC modders made it and sold it through the official way, ie gamers will have to certificate themselves through online register at a server, which now defunct. It's this process that punt me around like pinball. No other expansions give me that kind of trouble.

No wonder people praise MotB Soz, and various other modules but not a peep about MoW. They cant even play it to praise/damn it.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I believe Swords & Sorcery: Underworld was initially released in 2010.

High, if you make recommendations, can you please provide a link which clarifies you're request.

S&S Underworld, a full-fledged indie RPG, hommage to the Early Might and Magic classics, will be out in a week.

Posted by OlderBytes on Sep 13th, 2012

I regret the need to link to the RPG watch, but the old community forums at OlderBytes appear to have been cleansed. Here is the earliest reference I could find of the game released in 2010:

https://www.rpgwatch.com/games/swords-and-sorcery--underworld-440.html

And I purchased the game in December of 2010.

:necro:

Interestingly enough, the game goes back to a freeware tribute of Dungeon Master (according to his own description on his website) called Sword and Sorcery: Peregrine’s Song published at its earliest in 2007 (from this RPG Watch interview)

The first mention on his original website that's still saved on Internet Archive is from 2009

Then the first version of Sword and Sorcery: Underworld that sold on his old website, of which the earliest mirror on Internet Archive dates back to March 2010

Lol at this comment from him "To be perfectly honest, I nearly bled myself to death making it so I do need to sell it."

Oh yeah, and he switched to his Olderbytes website around 2012

Also, if anybody has that tribute game, I want to check it out, but can't find it anywhere

RolePlayer

Augur
This list is a stark reminder of just how bad a place the gaming industry was 10+ years ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom