Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

which is more important in rpgs...

which is more important in rpgs...

• story

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • graphics

• Connie Chung

• Total voters

Joe Krow

Erudite
Story.

More specifically the number of endings the story has. Also, how effectively the dialogue trees integrate your non-combat skills. Plus, factions should be important for some reason.

So long as it has a definite story progression rather then having you just meander around doing whatever you choose like some retarded PnP game. A good computer Rpg is like a Choose Your Own Adventure book with a combat system tacked on. The Witcher, for example, is really good in that way. Planesscape is another one.

Joe Krow said:
Story.

More specifically the number of endings the story has. Also, how effectively the dialogue trees integrate your non-combat skills. Plus, factions should be important for some reason.

So long as it has a definite story progression rather then having you just meander around doing whatever you choose like some retarded PnP game. A good computer Rpg is like a Choose Your Own Adventure book with a combat system tacked on. The Witcher, for example, is really good in that way. Planesscape is another one.
What a flaming homosexual.

Woohoo

Novice
Both. The pinnacle of gaming is a well written, character driven story revolving around a perfectly rendered, better than life grafikaled pair of perky tits.

Zomg

Arbiter
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of the women.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Story then graphics.
In an age of eye candy theres only so much it can distract from best graphics in the world does not a good game make although the hype machines try to tell you that.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Joe Krow said:
Story.

I agree as long as one of the endings is the Connie Chung ending.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Real RPGs have massive massive dungeons with pressure plates, traps, portals, secret doors, and cave-ins.

ushdugery

Scholar
Even though I voted for graphics because bloom is the only thing I get close to sunlight I am disappointed that more of you didn't vote for connie chung, for shame.

Micmu

Magister
Graphics, most def. I never play games older than 2 months. Fuck pixelated, unimmersive shit.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Ogg said:
Cloaked Figure said:
An RPG is a game where you have control over the development your character makes throughout the story.

Examples:

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Fallout 1
Fallout 2
The Witcher

What isn't an RPG:

GTA: San Andreas
Road Rash
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance

Action RPG Hybrid:

Oblivion
Gothic
Fable

What are you trying to say here, man?

RPGCODEX

Jabbapop

Scholar
Cloaked Figure said:
What isn't an RPG:

I disagree. In San Andreas your character can pursue side quests with various factions which gain you special abilities and effect how you pursue further missions in the main quest, eg by having hydralics and a sweet bass system in your pimp wagon. Also, abilities are linked to a stat system, which is a common trait amongst rpgs.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
How many weapons you can simultaneously wield is obviously the most important factor. As long as I can quintouple wield a gun-blade, two laser-maces, an explosive bolt stealth crossbow and a pike, then I'm set. All other factors pale into insignificance.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Bluebottle said:
How many weapons you can simultaneously wield is obviously the most important factor. As long as I can quintouple wield a gun-blade, two laser-maces, an explosive bolt stealth crossbow and a pike, then I'm set. All other factors pale into insignificance.

Do pointy boobies count as weapons ?

DraQ

Arcane
Bluebottle said:
Multiheaded dick meeting Edward Scissorhands?

:shock:

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
shihonage said:
Bluebottle said:

Do pointy boobies count as weapons ?

Boobs should idealy be barely contained in implausible apparel, which really counts them out as being used as weaponry.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
WhiskeyWolf said:
If the OP would made this thread serious we would already have a "What is RPG?" War #678012. Now I'm only waiting for the right spark.

Here goes!

Cloaked Figure said:
An RPG is a game where you have control over the development your character makes throughout the story.

Examples:

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Fallout 1
Fallout 2
The Witcher

What isn't an RPG:

Road Rash
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance

Action RPG Hybrid:

Oblivion
Gothic
Fable

BUT GTA SAN ANDREAS IS AN RPG BECAUSE YOU CAN DEVELOP YOUR CHARACTER HE BECOMES FAT WHEN YOU EAT TOO MUCH AND YOU CAN GET DIFFERENT HAIRSTYLES ITS LIEK FABLE

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
I feel betrayed. I did choose TEH GRAFiXXX but there wasnt teh conie chung option so my choise was wrong and teh consequense is yet to be seen... =(

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Graphics are great as long as you get what you paid for.

Also, Connie Chung needs to get a boob job, stat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom