Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which HoMM to get?

UncleJimb0

Educated
I think I'm going to try Heroes of Might and Magic; I briefly played 5 and didn't really like it. It seems like 2,3, and 4 are all better regarded. Which would be the best one to get the best longevity and flavor of the series playing so far after the fact?

Is the AI of the series much to speak of? Do they have randomly generated custom maps or something like it? ...I don't really like any campaign in mah turn-based sandbox.

spectre

Arcane
4 is, frankly speaking, quite horrible. Although there are deviants out there who like it.

Number 3 is easily the best, it even has a random map generator which, iirc was pretty functional and didn't have any major fuckups.
However, I do not recommend it, computer generated maps are functional, but hand-crafted always beats whatever the 'puter manages to churn out.
Since you can randomize almost anything placed on the map, from towns to artefacts and resources, it's not that you're gonna be bored by it.

There's a shitload of expansions, campaigns, maps and whatnots, official and unofficial. Homm3 should last you for ages, it's a great game and a true gem.

With regards to AI, I can't say Homm is special in any way. It's a casual strategy game, through and through. On equal terms, you'll most likely steamroll over the AI without breakin a sweat.
That said, some of the scenarios in Homm3 (especially the add-ons and custom stuff) will bust your balls. Surely, the difficulty is achieved mostly through giving the AI an advantage, but don't sweat. It's not going to insult your intelligence.
Still, it's most challenging in multi. I spent many a glorious night with beer and Homm 3 hotseat. A man's life wouldn't be complete without that.

That's not to say Homm 1 and 2 aren't worth a playthrough. They're pretty good on their own, it's just number 3 is a superior product.
They're worth checking out just to see how the series developed, maybe how the story progressed (I'm not really into that sort of thing), and the music.

EDITH: With regards to Homm 5, it gets better with the Tribes of the East expansion, in my opinion. Not really on par with Homm3, but fills the hole if you already played number 3 to death.

Phelot

Arcane
HoMM3 is the best in my opinion, but that is a contested point. HoMM3 will certainly give you a lot of playing time, though. It has tons of great premade maps and on GoG you can get the complete version which has even more. There is a random map maker, too. The AI is pretty simple. During battles on tougher settings, they will do some annoyingly efficient moves, but they are always predictable. Basically, don't expect surprising genius moves, but there are cases of "Where the fuck did that asshole come from?!" during AI move turns. Basically, on lower settings they just bumble around while on tougher settings, they are fairly aggressive.

HoMM4 made some needed changes to the way combat works, but I never liked it that much. The new view, simultaneous attacks, etc. are all nice enough, but in my opinion, the series was fine as a simple yet addictive strategy game. Plus, the art is awful this time around and many of the cool factions were either eliminated or condensed (the previous game world exploded :lol: literally )

I really enjoyed HoMM2. If you like 3, you should also enjoy 2, though I'll admit that 3 is basically 2 with more stuff. Still, I keep going back to it from time to time just as I also go back to HoMM1 from time to time. They were just charming games with some fun moments.

Phelot

Arcane
Hmmm it was nearly 24 minutes before a HoMM Marketing and PR Agent responded to this thread. We'll have to improve on that.

Gregz

Arcane
HoMM 3...

But trust me, you are far better off playing King's Bounty: Crossworlds

(ignore the HoMM geeks in this thread who have never played KB:CW or KB:AP)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I've played through a whole truckload of HoMM in recent time, so...

Number 3 is the best hands down. It's an upgrade over 2 in pretty much every possible way, except for one, which is no non-linearity in campaigns (HoMM2 had some optional side missions that would give you bonuses for each mission onward, like an alliance with dwarves that would make all dwarves on the map join your army when encountered). It's got the most varied campaigns, great visuals that aged VERY well, and two expansions that both offer different stuff and should be played.

Number 2 is also very good, but as I said, HoMM3 simply did many things better. Still, definitely worth playing.

Number 1 I actually haven't played for some strange reason, so I can't comment.

Now, number 4... this one is tricky. I actually liked it a lot, it's not as horribad as people will make you think - it wasn't an "inherently flawed" or broken game, it simply did things different, diverged a lot from the general HoMM formula that ran HoMM 2 and 3. But, on its own, it was still really good. It balanced the "magic" part of the game, significantly nerfing max level magic from being TOTAL FACEROLL OVERKILL and upping the combat presence of warrior heroes, it had *THE* best soundtrack in the entire series, offered some interesting interplay/alliances between factions that allowed mixing different castle units without killing morale, had the best writing in the campaigns (although nobody should really give a damn about this), implemented caravans travelling between cities and monsters nests which was quite possibly the BEST THING EVER to happen to the series, and put in some changes into the way battles were fought, which, personally, I think were better, such as ranged counterattacks for archers, creatures attacking themselves at the same time (which prevented 'lul let's wait for them to come close so I can have first attack' cheese), and giving some creatures whole spellbooks. The bad parts of HoMM 4, however, are no upgrades for units and the need to choose between creature x or y for ever tier, when some of those were CLEARLY superior (why would anyone take minotaurs over medusae is completely beyond me, for example). It also had a way more... "fairy tale-ish" graphics style, which could be off-putting at times, and clearly a decline from the previous parts. It also had horribly repetitive campaigns - each one basically goes the same way: CIVIL WAR RAGES, YOUR MAIN D00D BECOMES HEROKING, IN ALL SCENARIOS YOU FIGHT THE SAME FACTIONS YOU PLAY, OMG BETRAYAL, VICTORY, LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER. It simply gets tiring that scenario after scenario after scenario you keep fighting the very same creatures you are controlling, not using some of the pretty obvious "counters" that some factions are to one another. It also has some seriously questionable decisions, such as putting a bordergate right next to your starting location, with a fuckhueg enemy town right behind it... but of course only the enemy can pass through it since the keymaster's tent is on his side. All in all, though, HoMM4 is, I think, a generally solid game, and at least worth a longer try just to see for yourself.

HoMM5 I'm currently in the middle of playing 'cause I only played it when it first came out and ditched it pretty fast. I'm thinking of doing the very same thing now because the entire first campaign is just ATROCIOUS. Whoever thought making AN ENTIRE BLOODY CAMPAIGN A FUCKLONG TUTORIAL should be hung by the balls. Still, #5 was basically a return to the #3 formula, with some ideas borrowed from #4 (such as spellbooks for certain creatures [AND IT MANAGED TO MAKE IT COMPLETELY FUCKING BROKEN], expanded hero customisation, etc), so, on paper, it is sorta solid. But I gotta play more of it to see for myself, though people often say the vanilla campaigns are kinda bad, and the custom missions are small as hell.

Also, remember, there is no such thing as HoMM6.

But, trust me, you are far better off playing King's Bounty: Crossworlds

Darth Roxor rates this post as Optimistic.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
HOMM 3 with both expansions. Hands down.

HOMM 5 is decent as well, actually. Too bad the code is so jumbled that it takes forever to wait for computer's turn and some combat tactics (Inferno gating) are needlessly time consuming if you want to finish the fight with maximum efficiency. Oh, and those campaigns. Jesus fucking Christ they suck.

HOMM 6 is a login-to-facebook-to-get-your-bonuses shit with no town screen and three resources. FUCK THAT. I heard they are fixing the town screens though. It has the same jumbled code as HOMM 5. A fucking mess.

Also- fuck the HOMM 4 haters. Yes, the AI is shit, but hey, the world map, the atmosphere, the gorgeous campaigns and some of the custom made maps are amazing. You can't beat a single hero fighting hordes of enemies either. It's more like an RPG as far as hero customization goes.

You got me intrigued. I'm playing Heroes 3 random maps on impossible (have to scavenge all the resources from the map) almost weekly with couple of my friends. Can you suggest King's Bounty to simulate or improve on that experience?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
HoMM3 like everyone else said.

Also it is a lot better if you can find a friend or 3 to play with.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
2 or 3. I prefer 2 but 3 is extremely good.
I like 2 better because of the music and the graphics.

3 is probably what you should get.

Gregz

Arcane

You got me intrigued. I'm playing Heroes 3 random maps on impossible (have to scavenge all the resources from the map) almost weekly with couple of my friends. Can you suggest King's Bounty to simulate or improve on that experience?

KB is moar RPG. If you like theorycrafting, deep skill trees, synergies, artifacts, set items and are a munchkin/accumulator/power player (like me) KB:CW is awesome fun. Replayability is not very high however as the only major random element is what the map nodes get populated with (mobs and artifacts). Some people even scan their pre-generated map after starting a new game (highly recommended) to ensure the set artifacts they want are available for a particular build they have in mind.

Absolutely awesome game.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

KB is moar RPG. If you like theorycrafting, deep skill trees, synergies, artifacts, set items and are a munchkin/accumulator/power player (like me) KB:CW is awesome fun. Replayability is not very high however as the only major random element is what the map nodes get populated with (mobs and artifacts). Some people even scan their pre-generated map after starting a new game (highly recommended) to ensure the set artifacts they want are available for a particular build they have in mind.

Absolutely awesome game.
Whenever I see screen shots of KB, it looks like they made the battles less tactical compared to HoMM3. HoMM3 wasn't very tactical to begin with, so I get the impression that battles are mostly a forgone conclusion, or just hoping for the right RNG.

So how wrong is my opinion based on very little evidence?

Gregz

Arcane
I played a Mage, and my spellbook had a huge number of spells.

In terms of spatial tactics, WYSIWYG on youtube vids. There is however a lot of depth in being able to gear up for a particular combat scenario, use one of two backup creature slots (refit your army on the field), and a great deal of spell effect variety, buffing, DD, etc.

If you liked the HoMM games I can't recommend KB:CW enough.

sser

Arcane
Developer

Absolutely awesome game.
Whenever I see screen shots of KB, it looks like they made the battles less tactical compared to HoMM3. HoMM3 wasn't very tactical to begin with, so I get the impression that battles are mostly a forgone conclusion, or just hoping for the right RNG.

So how wrong is my opinion based on very little evidence?

People have completed the KB games without losing a single soldier. That has a lot to do with gaming the map (and knowing the maps themselves), but sound battle strategy plays a large part as well.

Marsal

Arcane
KB and HoMM are really not similar games, despite the obvious similarities. HoMM games are in essence strategy games (almost 4X) with tactical combat. KB games are just tactical combat games with some RPG elements. I had fun with all KB games and you should try them, but they are, IMO, not as ambitious nor as good as HoMM games.

I agree with Jasede, HoMM 3 is the one to play. Be sure to get the widescreen/resolution patch.

HoMM 2 is also a great game, though. I would compare the relation between HoMM 2 and HoMM 3 to the one between Fallout and Fallout 2, keeping in mind that the story and writing are pretty much irrelevant in a strategy game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fallout 1 and Fallout 2.

I wouldn't be that harsh on HoMM 3 but that's a pretty great way to put it.

UncleJimb0

Educated
Fallout 1 and Fallout 2.

I wouldn't be that harsh on HoMM 3 but that's a pretty great way to put it.

Wait...there were Fallout games before 3? Did Bethesda make those before Arena and Daggerfall?

Less than a month hanging around this poorly-disguised GOG marketing scam of a message board and my backlog (already quite prodigious thanks to graduating school and starting a new career) has probably gone from a couple of hundred of game hours to complete up to ten thousand or so.

Marsal

Arcane
I almost forgot, UncleJimb0, I would strongly recommend playing the campaigns. Unlike 4X games, it's not really a game to be played in a sandbox against the AI, IMO. The strategy AI is not a challenge at all, even with a resource handicap. You need other factors (time limit, unit choice limit...) to make it interesting.

Campaigns are very good and mix things a bit from time to time (it's not always just "here's your castle and some resources, go and kill every other hero on the map").

oscar

Arcane
II has nicer graphics (hand drawn units instead of ugly 3D) and music but III has pretty much more of everything gameplay wise. Both are great and a lot of fun to play with friends.

I also remember the expansion to III adding a faction of genies that everybody hated.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
HoMM 2 is also a great game, though. I would compare the relation between HoMM 2 and HoMM 3 to the one between Fallout and Fallout 2, keeping in mind that the story and writing are pretty much irrelevant in a strategy game.

Strongly agree with this comparison, and it's precisely why HoMM2 is so much better than the variety-fest of HoMM3. (If you're going to play 3, you should install the WoG mod, too, since it gives the game even more variety with even less concern for internal consistency.)

DakaSha

Arcane
HoMM3 is a great game. HoMM3 with woG is not. Take your butthurt and use it for something worthwhile like Mass Effect retard

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
HoMM3 of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom